Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Ceases Production of iSight
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2006-12-30, 08:01

Didnt see this posted anywhere, so I'm assuming its new info:

The official Anouncment was made to Apple (Australian) Resellers early this week, sorry I cant link it as it's on Apple's Channel Website.

The iSight is Dead.

This of course does leave the speculation as to what's going to replace it, as the Mac mini & Mac Pro dont have iSight's... it wouldnt make much sense to leave out the Pro's & the people who will be purchasing there 1st Mac's.

Perhaps the idea of a iSight in the Cinema Displays isnt as crazy as thought?

jm.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-30, 08:14

Well, this is interesting. Click this link:

http://www.apple.com/isight/

Apple used to have a page for the iSight just like every other piece of hardware. Now they don't. I guess we'll be hearing something iSight related at MWSF now.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-30, 08:22

Wonder if I should buy one before they're gone, are they significantly better than the competition?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-30, 08:26

They're considerably more expensive than the competition, thats for sure.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-30, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Wonder if I should buy one before they're gone, are they significantly better than the competition?
They're rather top-notch, quality-wise. Their only contender I'm aware of is the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, though that is considerably cheaper.

Your average $30-50 webcam, though, doesn't even begin to compare.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-12-30, 10:15

Integrated in the ACD's announced/released at MWSF?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-30, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Integrated in the ACD's announced/released at MWSF?
I'd say that's a strong possibility now. I wasn't so sure before, but I bet it's going down at MWSF. I'm thinking we'll see the same enclosures as the current models, with the iSight added in the bezel, at the same prices (or maybe even lower) compared to current models.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-12-30, 12:41

I've been saying "Cinema Display integration" for about 35 years now, but got poo-pooed everytime I said it, for any number of reasons. I hope it DOES happen - and soon, like MWSF - just so I can have the pleasure of a little "STFU next time I predict something...I'm right more often than not" moment.

No, I'm not petty...

But seriously, not having a standalone iSight is a weird idea. As mentioned above, it leaves out the two extremes of Apple's customer base: the entry-level Mac mini buyers and the expensive tower users.

And before anyone goes and makes idiotic and baseless blanket statements like "pros don't use iSights" or whatever, know that you're wrong. Anybody can "use an iSight". It isn't some hard, fast rule. Maybe the "pros" in your company don't, but...(besides, not every tower owner I know is necessarily a "pro user").

And since the mini and towers don't have to be paired with Cinema Displays, that does make me wonder what their plans are. Sticking them in Cinema Displays is, to me, a complete no-brainer. But what about all those folks not looking to shell out top dollar for an Apple display?

I hope Apple introduces a new version - smaller and CHEAPER - for the gazillions of Mac users who opt to use third-party monitors.

I really think it was a shame they couldn't get that iSight to drop in price during the years it existed.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-12-30, 12:44

I wonder if this means the FireWire iSights won't support those cool features leopard will have.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-12-30, 12:50

Here's an idea (totally unrealistic and out of left field, but it would guarantee massive adoption): include an iSight 2.0 (redesigned, smaller, etc.) inside every Leopard box.

All the folks with iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are already covered...so they simply give this to a friend with an older Mac or a Mac mini or tower.

Apple could take a small hit on this, for a limited time (say, the first six months of Leopard's existence...do something generous with that $4 billion, and blanket the planet, or the Mac-using part of it, with iSights).

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-30, 12:55

I would love that. Since my next systems are going to be Mac Pro and Mac Mini, I won't get an iSight either way. I would love to have a good webcam from my Mini I have now...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-30, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
I wonder if this means the FireWire iSights won't support those cool features leopard will have.
Nah.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-12-30, 13:14

It sucks if it is integrated in the ACD. I just bought a new screen. That means I will never be able to get a iSight (I know, ebay blablabla)

I think they should redesign it, not stop the production. It does things that an integrated one can't. Like if I want to show you something, it's kinda easier to move to iSight around than take your 30" screen to show what you want.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-12-30, 13:19

I just took a quick took and saw that some DV camcorder can be had for approximately same cost as iSight... Would it have been more beneficial to make more of a camcorder than a webcam? Maybe sell as a integrated unit; you remove the camera and place it on the top of screen for webcamming and when you need to go, take it and attach to HD housing?

Or am I crazy?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-12-30, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
I think they should redesign it, not stop the production. It does things that an integrated one can't. Like if I want to show you something, it's kinda easier to move to iSight around than take your 30" screen to show what you want.

True.

I was looking at the new one on MacAlly's site. It's very small and compact. I'd like to see Apple do something like that maybe? And for less than $149.

I'd like to see them do to their iSight what they did to their iPod shuffle...complete redesign, smaller, an even better buy than the white "gum stick" model, etc.

Part of me thinks the standalone iSight is gone for good, otherwise they'd still have the old one and simply replace it come MWSF or whenever. When a new iPod or Mac is about to come out, they don't yank the current models from their website and online store, you know? So for them to do this to the iSight makes me think "it's over".

Or it's getting a redesign that is so utterly spectacular and awe-inspiring, they're removing the old one a few weeks early so as not to shame its memory?

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-12-30, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I just took a quick took and saw that some DV camcorder can be had for approximately same cost as iSight... Would it have been more beneficial to make more of a camcorder than a webcam? Maybe sell as a integrated unit; you remove the camera and place it on the top of screen for webcamming and when you need to go, take it and attach to HD housing?

Or am I crazy?
Maybe am I too cause I already think of that. That is probably what I will do in some near future. And now, if the iSight dies, I'm no hesitating anymore.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-30, 13:35

Guys, please think with your noggins.
You won't need an iSight anymore because your iPhone will have a camera built-in. Just turn your dock to face the direction you want to shoot. Sheesh.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-12-30, 13:39

He's right, you know.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-12-30, 13:47

But, but...

um. stll...

erm,

yeah, you're right, I guess.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-30, 13:49

Well that would make the famed iPhone worth it.
MagSafe

2006-12-30, 13:56

Whoa, didn't hear about this until now.

Quite big news actually, so thats Apple completey abandoned it altogether, no 'iSight' anymore at all? Strange...

I'm thinking ACD's with built-in camera's are pretty much a given now for MWSF. I'm just wondering on how their going to accomodate the other people that just want a camera for the occasional iChat every 6 months (me), I am actually planning on buying an ACD eventually, but still ... I certainly wouldn't want to be forced into buying one just because of an integrated camera. Maybe they'll release a micro-sized iSight 2.0 as someone else predicted, except much, much cheaper than the original, possibly even make it compatible with Vista? (my boss wasen't very chuffed when he couldn't buy an iSight and was forced into buying some crap one)

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
chucker

2006-12-30, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
(my boss wasen't very chuffed when he couldn't buy an iSight and was forced into buying some crap one)
That's only for audio*. Video works fine without any drivers, and any mic will do for audio.

*) Various open source projects exist to get audio working, but with limited success.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-12-30, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I really think it was a shame they couldn't get that iSight to drop in price during the years it existed.
Yeah, I've always wanted one but the price was too steep. That said, when you look at the quality and finish of it, it certainly surpasses anything else on the market.

In this world of miniturization, the iSight probably can be half it's current size. It looks rather top heavy mounted on a 20 inch Cinema display. Just re-introduce a new smaller standalone and call it the iSight mini.
Performa636CD

2006-12-30, 14:23

The sad thing is, I just sold my iSight for $85! Too bad I can't renegotiate the deal! :P
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-12-30, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Guys, please think with your noggins.
You won't need an iSight anymore because your iPhone will have a camera built-in. Just turn your dock to face the direction you want to shoot. Sheesh.
Euuhhh why would I need a phone ? I don't want to pay for features I don't want to. The iPhone won't be 100$...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-12-30, 17:31

Yeah, not everyone wants an iPhone. I don't even use a cell phone so why would I want an iPhone just so I chat with someone via iChat, which for that matter I don't even use.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-30, 19:11

I wouldn't buy an iSight for anything other than its look. It has horrid out-of-the box lowlight performance and it runs hot enough that you wouldn't want to hold it while it's plugged in...even when the lens cover is switched to the off position.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-30, 19:43

My iSight never gets too hot to touch at best it gets a little bit warm, no warmer than an ibook's power supply. It also offers far better low-light performance than any other consumer webcam I've seen. Although, newer ones may have come out that trump the iSight since the last time I was researching webcams(with a friend).

The built-in mic on the iSight is surprisingly good quality too. It's a quality piece of equipment all around, it's just over-priced and it's gotten dated.
Is it 1981?

2006-12-30, 19:51

Here's another vote for (hopefully) a new and (much much) cheaper iSight soon.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-12-30, 23:04

I don't even use the iSight camera on my MacBook, as much as I'd love to, since most of my friends use MSN and Yahoo!, when on the rare times they're online.

ウォーレン | こんにちは, bitches!