Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Minecraft beta 1.5 released!
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-20, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I wouldn't get too excited yet. The mere presence of boosters doesn't necessarily mean we can build networks of monorails on the server. Minecarts and boats both add significant load to the server, and unless notch and co. have made some significant optimizations server-side, we should continue to minimize their use.
Repeating for emphasis. Don't get too worked up about the rails just yet!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-20, 13:56

^This.

Though, once it is able to be up and running, I'd be happy to help design the system. Setting it up along the lines of the Skytrain in Vancouver would be incredibly efficient based on our current layout.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-20, 14:19

Surely the smartest thing is to make the existing Skyway system pull double duty as the main minecart routing as well? We could keep Bonn's monorail to the arena and my Farm-Treehouse line as historical oddities, but do all future minecart routes via the skyways.

(Assuming, of course, that Minecart lag is fixed, which I've not seen conclusive evidence of.... Although, having said that, my old-style booster system seemed to not overstress the server when we played with it a few nights ago, so maybe the problem has gone away...? )

I say, once we've gone to 1.5_02 that we use Bonn's Arena line as a test and get Bradster to monitor server load while we test it. If it's a go, then we move onto mass transit for all. If not, we wait for updates and mothball the system again. I might visit Turtle Park more often if we have it!

And yes, we should totally colour the routes and have a London Underground-style map.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-20, 14:31

My guess is that some minecarting and boating will be fine, everyone all at once would likely be too much. Similar to when we set off an abnormal amount of TNT.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-20, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Surely the smartest thing is to make the existing Skyway system pull double duty as the main minecart routing as well? We could keep Bonn's monorail to the arena and my Farm-Treehouse line as historical oddities, but do all future minecart routes via the skyways.

(Assuming, of course, that Minecart lag is fixed, which I've not seen conclusive evidence of.... Although, having said that, my old-style booster system seemed to not overstress the server when we played with it a few nights ago, so maybe the problem has gone away...? )

I say, once we've gone to 1.5_02 that we use Bonn's Arena line as a test and get Bradster to monitor server load while we test it. If it's a go, then we move onto mass transit for all. If not, we wait for updates and mothball the system again. I might visit Turtle Park more often if we have it!

And yes, we should totally colour the routes and have a London Underground-style map.
Most of the skyways will need to be widened to accommodate two tracks, that is except for the one section I built knowing this was coming... :P
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-20, 15:27

I think that if we use the skyways we should go double-decker and build the rails under the existing skyway. I don't know what would happen if a boosted minecart hit a player, but I imagine it's nothing good.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
¡Damned!

2011-04-23, 16:26

Under or over, whatever, but I don't think we should use the existing walkways (unless they're bobsky's, apparently. )*. Lumber is cheap, and I think a good sub/rail-way system should be kind of independent of our walkways.

That said - and I'm kind of sorry to ask a personal question, but - Brad, when are you getting back home? Do you think it's possible to cut your plans short because of Minecraft? Can we buy you a ticket on the red-eye?

* bobsky, where are you talking about? I don't think I've seen it. ?

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-23, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

* bobsky, where are you talking about? I don't think I've seen it. ?
The run that goes by spawn and the sky ranch is three wide...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-23, 19:34

I still think we'd be better served by waiting until the SMP lightning fires gets sorted out. Seems the rain doesn't always put the fire out.

Of course the majority of my stuff is built of stone and in a snowy biome, so feel free to go nuts.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-23, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I still think we'd be better served by waiting until the SMP lightning fires gets sorted out. Seems the rain doesn't always put the fire out.
:O

*raises first* NOOOOOTCH!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-23, 19:41

Well that sure would suck. Most of my stuff is made of non-flamable stuff, but still. I mean, it'd suck to have my creeper face burned off!
¡Damned!

2011-04-23, 22:00

heh
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-24, 04:29

Quote:
That said - and I'm kind of sorry to ask a personal question, but - Brad, when are you getting back home? Do you think it's possible to cut your plans short because of Minecraft? Can we buy you a ticket on the red-eye?
I got your message, 709, and I hitched a ride home earlier this evening just for you!

Alas, I've been in the game for the past four hours and haven't seen you at all!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2011-04-24, 07:05

woohoo.

Does that mean we should update our kit to 1.5? I plan on making up some minecraft time today.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-24, 13:27

Brad: i have a favor to ask with respect to 1.5 since you have been running it on your home computer with a downloaded copy of the map, could you check to see how far drops survive in the passive mob trap as a means of measuring how far they should survive in the hostile booster channels?

I tested it previously by throwing in cobble at the channel next to the corner on the outer most channels (throwing it in the corner isn't an accurate measure because of the way the flow works from that point, ie there is a pause at the next drop) -- 1.4 gave a 12 channel measure.

The number will be used as a guide to where to punch holes in the mob trap...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-24, 14:47

Quote:
Does that mean we should update our kit to 1.5?
Not just yet! I was chatting with some of the guys last night and I'd like to give everyone a few more days to finish "1.5-proofing" their homes if they haven't already. That means covering and clearing away flammable materials in case of lightning strikes and repairing gaps in ladders. That'll also hopefully give Mojang a chance to put out another bugfix patch or other tweaks to the weather/lightning code (fingers crossed).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-24, 14:55

We were discussing the 1.5 / Lightning issue today on the server. I can't help but notice that despite the theoretical possibility of fire damage from lightning, I have seen absolutely no evidence of it actually happening - and I check the Minecraft subreddit every day.

I think the likelyhood is very, very low, and would require bad design (overhangs in wooden structures), bad luck and a lot of time. I think it's a non-issue really. 99.9% of lightning strikes will be extinguished immediately by the rain.

I really don't think they will "bugfix" the lightning. I think it's supposed to do that.

It just seems like everyone is behaving like the entire world will be wreathed in flames the second we go to 1.5, and I don't see any evidence that that is the case.
arteggio

2011-04-24, 15:04

Do you suppose trees fall under lightning-proofing? It would be a dangerous PITA if they did, for me anyway...

Anyway gauged the frequency of rain and rain-lightning storms? I was playing by myself in 1.5 a few days ago and didn't get rained on once.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-24, 15:27

Quote:
We were discussing the 1.5 / Lightning issue today on the server. I can't help but notice that despite the theoretical possibility of fire damage from lightning, I have seen absolutely no evidence of it actually happening - and I check the Minecraft subreddit every day.
I've seen several threads (and video) of this happening in SMP (not SSP) on the official MC forums. It seems like it might be a bug in Bukkit, which thankfully we're not using, but I'd rather play a bit to the safe side.

Quote:
I think the likelyhood is very, very low, and would require bad design (overhangs in wooden structures)
Huh? All it would require is a flammable roof material, or if you have a nonflammable roof, a tree near a flammable wall.

Admittedly, though, yes, it would require some seriously bad luck.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-24, 15:40

No, it needs an overhang to shield the fire from the rain. A single strike on a regular flammable roof would lose one (and only one) block because the rain puts its out otherwise.

The problem is trees, not houses - they have built-in overhangs.

And indeed, the only videos on the forum are all running Bukkit.

Also: on the ladder issue: I've been upgrading my ladders, but actually 1.5 will help - because you get twice as many ladders when you craft them.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-24, 15:44

Being circumspect about this, but wait until they introduce earthquakes and tidal waves

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-24, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Brad: i have a favor to ask with respect to 1.5 since you have been running it on your home computer with a downloaded copy of the map, could you check to see how far drops survive in the passive mob trap as a means of measuring how far they should survive in the hostile booster channels?
Not sure exactly what I'm looking for here. I dropped a piece of wool in one far corner of the waterway and followed it through to the drop. Is there a specific place I should be dropping and following?

¡Damned!

2011-04-25, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Not just yet! I was chatting with some of the guys last night and I'd like to give everyone a few more days to finish "1.5-proofing" their homes if they haven't already. That means covering and clearing away flammable materials in case of lightning strikes and repairing gaps in ladders. That'll also hopefully give Mojang a chance to put out another bugfix patch or other tweaks to the weather/lightning code (fingers crossed).
Notch posted on his tumblr blog today that Jens got moved to a different project temporarily, so he's the only one working on Minecraft at the moment ... and since he's taking today off I think it's safe to say there won't be an update for quite a while. If everyone has as much of their places in order as they're going to (I know a few of us are putting off ladders until we update to 1.5), what do you think about moving the timeframe up?

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-25, 11:25

We were entertaining the idea of updating on Wednesday in chat. Does that work out for everyone here?
¡Damned!

2011-04-25, 11:32

Works for me. I'm ready whenever. Wednesday night? Or the stroke of midnight Tuesday night?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-25, 11:35

Wednesday evening. This old dog can't stay up late most days now.
arteggio

2011-04-25, 13:08

Wednesday sounds good.

I broke up Furronia into fire zones/sectors so that one fire won't take the whole place out, tree by tree. Most importantly, the mayor's palace and the chapel should be secure.

And I glassed off the wooden skyways leading into my kingdomship for good measure. I sure hope rain will put out lightning fires or else the skyway system is like a long, dehydrated twig in Texas during April.
¡Damned!

2011-04-25, 14:20

There's plenty of glass fire-breaks in the skyway system - at least over near that area. I may put a few more in some of the newer stretches for good measure though.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-25, 15:23

I can be ready. I thought I was really, but forgot that the butcher and baker shops are currently wood roofed.
¡Damned!

2011-04-25, 15:52

I don't know if that's absolutely necessary ... I'm certainly not retrofitting all the fucking skywalks I've built with stone because of this update. But by all means have at it if you think there's a slight possibility of fire (and if that does happen, I'm sending notch some serious hate-mail).

Kind of excited to talk about the minecart station(s) with everyone. I know, I know, it needs to be tested before we're all zipping around like maniacs, but I like the idea of a bridgeport terminal color-coded by line. Of course - as if it even needs to be said - I call Grey for the stretch out to my place.

So it goes.