User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Any ipaq user with a mac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any ipaq user with a mac?
aobk84

2005-07-13, 12:41

Hi guys, I'm considering buying a PB 12inch but I used much of my ipaq2750 and love it lots. Does anyone use a MAC with an ipaq here? Does it sync and works properly with MAC?

Thanks
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-13, 13:03

iPaqs don't appear to be supported - http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

BTW it's a "Mac"
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-13, 13:10

Google is your friend.

First hit for ipaq "mac os x": http://maczealots.com/reviews/pocketmac/

And the developer's page for that product: http://www.pocketmac.net/

It's not free, but it looks like it'll do the job.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-07-13, 13:20

I think he's wondering what the user experience is like for anyone who's actually tried to get the two to work together.

We played around with it some at work, but it was such a pain in the ass we gave up. Of course, this was over two years ago now, so take that with a grain of salt.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Jerman

2005-07-13, 15:37

I used the Missing Sync with an older ipaq and it worked pretty well. Still own the license even, but the Pocket PC was stolen (jerks!) so that kind of stinks. Not sure if they can be transferred, but if so and you bought the Powerbook let me know!
aobk84

2005-07-13, 22:06

What if I used Virtual PC to do my syncing and installing programs from there? Will that work? If it's slow, how slow will it get?

Thanks
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-07-13, 22:13

Either the Missing Sync or PocketMac will allow you to sync your PPC to your Mac. They also allow you to install some programs. These programs need to be .cab files. Generally, you can get them from the larger developers and by emailing those who don't have them available for direct download. For a few, you'll have to go the VPC route.

That said, the user experience of a PPC with anything but Outlook or something built on Outlook leaves a lot to be desired. And syncing with a Mac means you'll have issues with categories making it over and other random strangeness. While I generally like the programs available for PPCs (Pocket Informant is unmatched anywhere - PPC, Palm or Mac or PC even) but the OS is... well, you know....

This is just a long way of saying it's doable. Get one of the above programs and you'll be golden.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-13, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
sync your PPC to your Mac
Doesn't the Mac have a PPC already inside it?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-07-14, 00:14

Don't do it....

It's all rubbish. It will corrupt all of your databases eventually. You will lose contact with everyone if that's your only source of phone numbers etc.

Don't say I didn't warn you..

I managed to get the kind people at missing sync to give me half price on a version of the Palm sync software when I finally came to my senses and burnt my PPC and bought a treo 650.

I do have an original iPaq stashed in a loft somewhere with all the original cases, manuals and stuff and will be selling it on Antiques Roadshow when I am 80. But that is about all they are good for. Great hardware. My iPaq 6360 was fantastic.. WiFi, Bluetooth etc. etc. but shoddy M$ OS kills them all the time!

What we need is a true Apple OS for a breakaway rebel PPC aliance..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt