User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September Event
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-25, 15:26

If nothing else it's gonna make recovery mode very difficult, if not a thing of the past.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-08-25, 19:03

You still have a large population of 50-60+ aged people who will not adapt to wireless charging. No chance.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-08-25, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I remain skeptical that Apple will go all-wireless/no-port because that still seems like a stupid nightmare situation. Maybe that's just my hope and desperation speaking, though.
I’m with you on that. Don’t care for wireless charging, nor the wasted power that goes along with the process.

The thought of having to take my case off every day just to do that, no thanks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-08-26, 03:04

We can look at the Watch to see how that would play out. For most use cases, it isn't really a problem. For development, it's awful.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-08-26, 08:02

Aren’t some cases compatible with wireless charging? I don’t like no being able to plug in a wired headset though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-26, 08:13

Yeah, cases work with MagSafe and even standard Qi chargers. It does depend on the case, but the thicker the less efficient the charging is.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-26, 08:32

From what can gather wireless charging works well with thin, purely cosmetic type cases, or one that have included some kind of pass through. Not very effective, or in some cases not even usable, for heavy duty cases that protect the phone from any meaningful impacts.

If wireless charging didn’t waste power, and it does regardless of case use or not, I’d be all for it. Having to plug the phone in vs just sitting it on a charging pad isn’t very convenient, but the former is more efficient, and from my understanding better for the battery as well. Why better with wired? Wireless charging generates more heat in the charging device, and as long as we are using lithium ion batteries, less heat is better for the life of the battery.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-08-26, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
If wireless charging didn’t waste power, and it does regardless of case use or not, I’d be all for it.
Yeah. It doesn't seem great from an environmental (or cost) point of view.

I wish they'd made it more like MagSafe on Macs. Slap a charging plug against the back of the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
from my understanding better for the battery as well
I think they compensate for that by charging more slowly.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-26, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Maybe satellite connectivity?
The rumor thickens!
¡Damned!

2022-08-26, 11:38

I mean, it was a *sure thing* last year ... until it wasn't. I wasn't making too risky of a guess. Return of Flower Power though, that maybe won't happen.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-26, 11:45

I mean, there's an entire website!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-08-31, 21:08

The best thing about the September event is that it clears the way for the October event.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-01, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
The best thing about the September event is that it clears the way for the October event.

Nailed it!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-01, 12:04

I'm planning some travel at the end of the year and I really want a new pair of over the ear headphones for the plane trips.

I'm hoping that the AirPods Max get an update and a price drop so I can pick those up.

Would be cool to see if they rename them the AirPods Studio as was rumored since the Studio line is now a thing.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-07, 09:37

Today is the day! I'm looking forward to this. Not because I'm expecting to replace any hardware, but I'm curious what is presented.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-07, 11:50

And I've just been drug into a meeting at 1PM EDT. So I'll be catching the notes after the event now.
¡Damned!

2022-09-07, 12:34

This new Ultra really makes me wish I was a wristwatch wearer. Super cool stuff.
¡Damned!

2022-09-07, 13:07

iPhone 14 emergency SOS via satellite. 🛰️
¡Damned!

2022-09-07, 13:11

Oooh clever pill use on the iPhone 14 Pro. Fun!

[edit]: Umm. Except when it's called the 'Dynamic Island'. Not fun.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-07, 13:13

lololololololol

DYNAMIC ISLAND

Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-09-07, 14:20

I didn't bother to watch the Watch event this year. Have they solved Diabetes yet?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-07, 14:50

There are now threads for iPhone 14, Apple Watch 8, and AirPods Pro. Capella wasn't here to make them Capella-y, so they're not very fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I didn't bother to watch the Watch event this year. Have they solved Diabetes yet?
No, and not likely any time in the foreseeable future. Testing blood sugar levels simply by looking at blood is hard.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-07, 14:51

Another meh event, with another meh phone/AirPods/watch. All the interesting stuff has been happening on the Mac side. Funnily enough it was the opposite two years ago.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-09-07, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
There are now threads for iPhone 14, Apple Watch 8, and AirPods Pro. Capella wasn't here to make them Capella-y, so they're not very fun.
I'm entertained that I have a brand of making them cool. Sorry I wasn't around to do my job, I was at the hospital (doing a 2 week rehabilitation). Now I get to catchup like everyone else.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

2022-09-07, 16:25

Tim sounded weird this time. He seemed to be yelling? Maybe they couldn’t do good outdoor audio. His segments also seemed too formulaic.

Some of the other presenters were good. The satellite demo wasn’t just cool; she also explained fairly well what was going on, which is something recent keynotes had screwed up. Even some of the promo videos weren’t a snooze-fest, though they still seem kind of redundant.

Overall, quite iterative, but that’s to be expected.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-07, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I'm entertained that I have a brand of making them cool. Sorry I wasn't around to do my job, I was at the hospital (doing a 2 week rehabilitation). Now I get to catchup like everyone else.
You never have to apologize for me picking on you!

Hope you're feeling better.
chucker

2022-09-07, 17:04

Apple apparently didn’t mandate masking at their press event (which mostly just showed a video stream anyway). https://twitter.com/gruber/status/1567556439887200258