User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Could we see the ATI FireGL V7350 in the Mac Pro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Could we see the ATI FireGL V7350 in the Mac Pro?
macsforever

2006-03-24, 02:20

I would really love to see that video card make it into the Mac Pro is a BTO option. I don't see what would be the point for apple, in not having that card in their Mac Pro, or what they would have instead...

Any thoughts?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-03-24, 02:27

Just so that people know what he's talking about...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060320/20060320005236.html?.v=1

Quote:
ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX:ATY - News; NASDAQ:ATYT - News) today announced the industry's first one gigabyte (1GB) workstation graphics accelerator, the ATI FireGL(TM) V7350, and also a 512 megabyte configuration, the FireGL(TM) V7300. Featuring an extremely powerful ultra-threaded parallel processing GPU, and ATI's industry leading Avivo(TM) video and display technology, these new ultra high-end graphics cards further extend ATI's workstation graphics line, delivering better performance, more advanced features and higher image quality.
I'd guess that Apple could eventually have it as an option, sure.

The question is - you're going to buy one? A PM with such a GPU would cost at least $4,000.
DK-Lach

2006-03-24, 09:28

I my oppinion Apple isn't reallly known for providing great graphicssolution in their systems...

Look at the PM G5 Quad. It's a rather pricey piece of hardware. And yet it only comes with GF 6600 256mb graphicscard

I mean, look at it! I bought a similar card for around 200$ as a midlife upgrade to my PC. And that was more than TWO years ago...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-03-24, 09:39

Most people, even pros, do not need extremely powerful graphics. The key is that Apple at least offers upgrade options for them. The Power Mac G5 only ships with a GeForce 6600, but you have the option of upgrading to a 7800GT or even a Quadro 4500.
shell

2006-03-24, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
The question is - you're going to buy one? A PM with such a GPU would cost at least $4,000.
Which is about what the current PowerMac costs when you upgrade to the Quadro FX, so yes, you and I might never dream of spending $1600 for a graphics card, but someone obviously does. Like the Quadro this card does not seem like it's geared toward the general marketplace but more for a specialized niche of users.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-03-24, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell
Which is about what the current PowerMac costs when you upgrade to the Quadro FX, so yes, you and I might never dream of spending $1600 for a graphics card, but someone obviously does. Like the Quadro this card does not seem like it's geared toward the general marketplace but more for a specialized niche of users.
Sure, I understand that.

However, I believe the OP is still in high school, and likely does not have that much disposable income to be concerned about video cards in this tier.
shell

2006-03-24, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
However, I believe the OP is still in high school, and likely does not have that much disposable income to be concerned about video cards in this tier.
Forgive my ignorance of internet lingo, what does OP mean?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-03-24, 22:46

Original poster (in this case, Macsforever).
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-24, 23:35

Well, some high-school students have some money. Heck, I'm a freshman and I drive this beast of an Acura to school each day.

Yeah, I'm working with my grandpa and we hope to fit a turbo in it, but the engine is really cramped. JK

But honestly, I know that as a student anything over $1000 is generally out of most people's (including my) range as far as computers go. This is why I want to see a quality replacement to the iBook so I can finally afford a laptop!
ZachPruckowski

2006-03-25, 02:34

1) My car is nicer, and I'm not much older. JK :-)
2) If you're a freshman, how do you have a driver's license?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-03-25, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
Well, some high-school students have some money. Heck, I'm a freshman and I drive this beast of an Acura to school each day.

Yeah, I'm working with my grandpa and we hope to fit a turbo in it, but the engine is really cramped. JK

But honestly, I know that as a student anything over $1000 is generally out of most people's (including my) range as far as computers go. This is why I want to see a quality replacement to the iBook so I can finally afford a laptop!
Bah, thats new I drive a 87 Accord. Then again I'm a poor 2nd year college student. But as far as price of computers go, you hit the nail on the head.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-26, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
2) If you're a freshman, how do you have a driver's license?
Ever heard of this magic place called Kansas??
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-26, 01:28

no.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-26, 20:37

You should check it out some time, not a bad place to live...
MacRonin

2006-03-26, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend

You should check it out some time, not a bad place to live...
Doubtful...

But better than ArKansas...

;^p
chaos123x

2006-03-26, 23:53

I doubt it...

What would you need a card like that, in a intel mac?

Maya was bought out by Autodesk and they are NOT going to support the mac anymore.

So you might have cinema 4d or lightwave... but c'mon.

You need Maya for somthing awesome like that.
defaultmike

2006-03-27, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos123x
I doubt it...

What would you need a card like that, in a intel mac?

Maya was bought out by Autodesk and they are NOT going to support the mac anymore.

So you might have cinema 4d or lightwave... but c'mon.

You need Maya for somthing awesome like that.
Where did you get the info that Maya is not going to support OS X anymore? I'm not saying you're wrong, but according to their website, IRIX (whatever the heck it is) is the only OS that they're not going to support anymore.

Quote:
As a result of this ongoing assessment, it has been decided that Maya 6.5 will be the last upgrade release for IRIX. Going forward, Alias will concentrate its development of Maya on the remaining platforms, namely Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Alias will however continue to offer support for IRIX as a license-serving platform.
Quote:
Subsequent releases of Maya after this date will be supported on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux for the foreseeable future.
these last two quotes were taked directly from Autodesk's site linky

www.portfoliowork.blogspot.com
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz (coming mid-December) | iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz | iPod 5.5 80Gb | iPod 3G 20Gb
Dug-OH

2006-03-27, 19:43

IRIX is the unix variant run on Silicon Graphics machines...