User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iMac as a display for PowerMac...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac as a display for PowerMac...
del-uks

2005-10-17, 11:42

Hi there, I'd like to use Virtual Network Computing (VNC) or Apple Remote Desktop to control a PowerMac from an iMac in the same room via a gigabit ethernet cable.

The idea is to use the iMac for networking, gaming, etc. and keep the PowerMac clean with just Pro Tools in it.

If I could remote the PowerMac from the iMac, then I won't need to get a display for the PM: I'll use the iMac as a display!... and, in the mean time that would be nice to run some CPU hungry synth software in the iMac and process the sound (with more CPU hungry plug-ins) in the PowerMac...

Anyway I'm not sure if this trick is going to work... from what I've read, it sounds possible (and if it is... yeahaaaahhh!)

Will this set up be fast enough?

Does anybody has tried anything similar?

Anybody familiar with VNC or Apple Remote Desktop?

Thank you for your attention.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-10-17, 12:10

Just how responsive do you need your UI to be? If you can put up with a bit of stickiness then VNC should work just fine.

You might want to consider getting a KVM switch instead — it'd be native speed, and much less than the cost of a separate monitor for the PowerMac.
del-uks

2005-10-17, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Just how responsive do you need your UI to be? If you can put up with a bit of stickiness then VNC should work just fine.

You might want to consider getting a KVM switch instead — it'd be native speed, and much less than the cost of a separate monitor for the PowerMac.
So VNC isn't fast enough... even with a gigabit ethernet conection?...

Concerning the KVM switch... the iMac has no input for its display... should I consider openning it?... I don't mind but will it be possible to use a KVM switch then?
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-10-17, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by del-uks
So VNC isn't fast enough... even with a gigabit ethernet conection?...
It seems to be more about latency on the machine itself — it only uses about 400KB/s at the most (which you could do on 10BaseT ethernet quite easily).

It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

Quote:
Concerning the KVM switch... the iMac has no input for its display... should I consider openning it?
*whacks head*

Whoops! Sorry don't mind me, KVM won't work. I blame sleep deprivation and stress.

Of course, you could get TWO PowerMacs, in which case it would work just fine (with the extra monitor you purchased…)
del-uks

2005-10-18, 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by del-uks
Concerning the KVM switch... the iMac has no input for its display... should I consider openning it?...
What's inside anyway?... I assume there might be a way to access the display...!?!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-18, 11:25

Don't.

First of all, you'll void the warranty and potentially damage something by trying to access the screen. Secondly, you end up disappointed since there will be no way to simply "plug in another cable" to get it to work.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
del-uks

2005-10-18, 18:47

OK, I won't!