AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

mac book White upgraded vs.Black Mac Book

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
mac book White upgraded vs.Black Mac Book
LightYourVision

2006-05-19, 13:44

Hey!

does anyone have an answer to this?

The White Mac Book 2.0 GhZ upgraded to 80 Gigs is 1349 Dollars (with the regular 60 gigs it is 1299)...
The Black One that comes with 80 Gigs is 1499 Dollars...
so the upgraded white one would be cheaper, right-

i wonder if there is a difference, except for the decent Black, between an upgraded white one 2.0 Ghz and a Black One.

greetings from Vienna,
MArkus
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-19, 13:47

I started to order the Black but just couldn't make it happen. $200 for 20GB and a Black paint job just wasn't worth it. Thankfully my wife liked the white better anyway since it is for her.

I say go for the White one unless you want Black. White will cost less total after upgrades, but ify ou want Black, just do it if you can afford it. Get what you want, it will be outdated next week.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-05-19, 13:49

You are right. It is much cheaper. The only thing that black one has is the color black (in comparison to your upgrade of course). There are lot of other postings on the forums about this.

edit: oops... too slow

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-19, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
I say go for the White one unless you want Black.
Profound.

But I agree with you that if you really want black, it might be worth it. If you're going to have a notebook for two or three (or four) years, it might be worth the extra $150 so you love the way it looks. There's more to a computer than specs. Some people might scoff at paying extra for a color, but they're the people who drive bland silver cars.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-19, 15:47

I bet Apple will eventually make black a no-cost option. Maybe only on a higher end model, but I don't think they'll charge a $150 premium for the different color in a while. Right now they're just capitalizing on early adopters who are eager to drop trou and let Apple have their way with them.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-19, 18:53

Luca, I think either the black color will become a no-cost option as you so describe, or they will keep it at $1,499, but it will grow into a true 12" PowerBook replacement (though probably without dedicated graphics). Right now, the $1,299 MacBook is really stepping on the $1,999 MBP's toes, but after an upgrade cycle, Apple might be able to stuff a slightly faster processor into the BlackBook, etc. without trespassing into MBP territory. I think there will be more added value there, besides a throwaway hard drive upgrade.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2006-05-19, 20:03

I aint shitting on anyone, hell buy what you like!

But an extra $150 just for black, considering the white looks better, is clean and just plain slick is maddening to me.

My .02.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-20, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
... now they're just capitalizing on early adopters who are eager to drop trou and let Apple have their way with them.

True AND funny; always a winning combination.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-05-20, 16:02

Can anyone attest to the smearing of finger oils on the white? As I have experienced with the black?
robert1014

2006-05-22, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
Can anyone attest to the smearing of finger oils on the white? As I have experienced with the black?
I was in the new 5th Ave. Apple Store Saturday night and all the black Macbooks were covered with finger marks and smudges, while none of the white Macbooks showed such marking. The gloss plastic against the white color is less able to show the fingerprints than the matte black plastic.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-05-22, 12:44

Yeah, the white will just slowly get nice brownish marks were you rest your hands by the trackpad, if you don't wash your hands enough that is.
wecallitfall

2006-05-22, 12:54

if i do get one (by god i hope i do) i will get a black one

it just looks nicer to me personally, i like how the iSight and IR are hidden

although if it wasn't for student discount and not having to pay VAT it may be a different story...
neiltc13

2006-05-22, 12:55

My old white iBook never showed any signs of marking but it did have a problem where dirt would get into the grooves on the sides. Really annoyed me did that.

Edit: Why don't you have to pay VAT?
wecallitfall

2006-05-22, 12:58

will get someone i know to buy it for me through their business

alas: BlackBook = £823

i can do that can't i?