Will Steve be leaving Apple soon?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will Steve be leaving Apple soon?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-12-28, 04:00

This stock options 'thing' has taken a new turn with Steve hiring his own attorneys.

I found this article quite interesting, and a little worrying... http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/54893.html

Quote:
"When the CEO hires his own attorney, that means he believes the company is no longer going to defend him adequately," Enderle Group Principal Analyst Rob Enderle told MacNewsWorld. "It is one of the first steps for a separation between the company and the CEO. It has now become serious."

If it were anybody but Steve Jobs, the company would part ways with the executive quickly, Enderle speculated, but Jobs is too critical to Apple's success to allow any rash decisions. Enderle expects Apple to explore every available option short of letting him go.
This paragraph in particular made me wonder if this could be some shock news we receive after January...

Another option, of course, is that Steve is simply preventing a conflict of interests between him and the company. That is what I immediately suspected. So is the 'analyst' used in this articel scare mongering, or simply digging for dirt himself?

Perhaps Steve will move sideways in some fashion, but that brings us to the oft discussed problem both here and in the above article, of "Who would possibly replace Steve?". I know we have discussed that here before so I am more interested in what people think about the possibility of Steve leaving, as opposed to who will replace him..

These probes are trendy and have the tendency to become a 'Witch Hunt', and whilst I am sure Steve will not be planning, nor want to leave, and that Apple certainly won't want him to leave.. It could be something forced on them by an unfortunate turn of events...

It's strange because I never really think of Steve as a traditional employee in that sense. He *is* Apple, in so many ways, and whilst that is not necessarily healthy, it is a fact.

What do other people think?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-28, 04:10

I think it might be about time to cash in on some of my shares.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-28, 04:11

You're quoting Enderle?

Seriously now.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-12-28, 04:14

I don't know anything about him.. So is he a scare monger? Educate me..
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-12-28, 04:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I think it might be about time to cash in on some of my shares.
Personally I think it's a great time to buy.... I think the shares will rocket next month regardless of this probe. I am more concerned about the more long term fallout and effects.. Wall Street doesn't give a shit about the companies it destroys, only the money it can make off them on the way up *and* the way down... In that sense, weakening the management structure of the company is a long term concern, and the 'iPhone' or whatever will certainly offset any of that in the short term, and in the view of the greedy piggies on Wall Street. But they will still want their 'pound of flesh'.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-28, 04:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Wikipedia has quite a bunch:
Quote:
Enderle has surpassed most analysts in stirring up industry-wide controversy.
[..]
Enderle has been critical of Apple Computer and Linux, as well as Unix and the open source/free software movements in general. In particular, he believes that Linux is a “free-software scam,” [1] and he has compared some Linux advocates to terrorists, predicting that “one of them — or perhaps a group of them — will go too far at some point and do significant damage to the open-source movement[..]
Enderle is most infamous for predicting the death of the Macintosh more often than any other industry observer, predictions which have yet to come to pass.
Or Gruber.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-12-28, 04:39

Well that gives us some perspective on his comments then...
I think I'll stick with my theory in my original post that perhaps someone is digging for dirt...

Thanks.

hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-12-28, 04:55

Quote:
He is a blow hard and everyone on the street is blowing their bonus checks not making news. If no news exists lets create some seems to be the motto leading into the January run up and during August. It is a strange job because they are supposed to get attention for themselves, not be correct.
MSFT

2006-12-28, 05:54

When Jobs was at Apple, things worked. Even though they didn't always have enough money, he kept the company afloat. When he was kicked out, Apple suddenly started to go down, down, down. So back when he first came back, as the Interim CEO, Apple suddenly got financially stronger, they were developing great products again. So to say that Steve would leave, or even be kicked out, is absolutely ridiculous.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-12-28, 08:22

^ I agree.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-12-28, 08:29

Quote:
Personally I think it's a great time to buy.... I think the shares will rocket next month regardless of this probe. I am more concerned about the more long term fallout and effects.. Wall Street doesn't give a shit about the companies it destroys, only the money it can make off them on the way up *and* the way down... In that sense, weakening the management structure of the company is a long term concern, and the 'iPhone' or whatever will certainly offset any of that in the short term, and in the view of the greedy piggies on Wall Street. But they will still want their 'pound of flesh'.
If they get their "pound of flesh", me thinks Apple's stocks will plumett. Perhaps not in the long haul, but for a while.
We all know Jobs IS Apple. There's no one who can sell a new iPhone the way Jobs can. Certainly not Schiller. The only person that comes to mind is that young guy who introduced part of the Leopard preview at a recent show. I forget his name or even the event.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-12-28, 08:45

We'll know more tomorrow with regards to the options investigation when Apple is expected to file their delayed reports with the SEC.

That report (the one in The Recorder, not Enderle's analysis) yesterday triggered a 6% decline of AAPL early, but it recovered by the end of day.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-28, 09:47

Does anyone know exactly where will the reports be available? I assume they're for the public record and will be provided in PDF format.
chucker

2006-12-28, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Does anyone know exactly where will the reports be available? I assume they're for the public record and will be provided in PDF format.
I would guess that http://apple.com/investor , http://sec.gov/ and http://nasdaq.com/ will have information.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-12-28, 09:57

There's a story on MacNN that says Apple forged some documents in 2001 related to stock option grants to Steve. This could be bad in an Egon Spengler kind of way.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-12-28, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
There's a story on MacNN that says Apple forged some documents in 2001 related to stock option grants to Steve. This could be bad in an Egon Spengler kind of way.
Here's a link to the Financial Times story on this.
Edna Crabtree

2006-12-28, 20:07

Or bad in a William McGuire (CEO United Health) kind of way. Oh, and I think this thread title should be renamed, "Will teh Steve be leaving Apple soon?" My answer: looks favorable.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-12-28, 23:15

Boy if Fred Anderson is implicated in this, as fall guy or one of the real culprits, that will really shake my trust in the company. He has always been considered so highly, pretty much universally, to say nothing of Jobs even.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-29, 00:26

I thought this was an interesting related article:

- How Steve Jobs Came Up with the 'Perfect Thing' -

Especially these paragraphs near the end -

Quote:
The iPod made its debut in time for the 2001 Christmas season. However, as late as January 2001, Apple was still assembling the team that would design it, engineer it, and pull together the suppliers needed in the U.S. and Asia to pull it off. To anyone used to the slow-moving corporate culture of most organizations, that is nigh incredible.

Levy takes us through the minutiae of how the iPod's various parts -- many from small companies that were working on this problem or that -- were assembled. (Lots of folks in Silicon Valley were working on various facets of digital music technology.)

Jobs didn't care if solutions and brainpower had to be acquired from other shops -- that's a really important point. What Jobs had in his pocket was a vision, and everyone else had the parts that would come together because of the glue of that vision.

If you have never been part of a product launch, this book is a guide to what can go wrong. You will learn, for example, that the Apple engineers -- at the 11th pre-launch hour -- discovered a problem with a circuit board that could have been disastrous. They solved it by, in Levy's words, "grilling taxi drivers in Taiwan to find back-alley-garage production shops that might be able to take in thousands of boards and quickly make the fix."
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/54558.html

I think that first paragraph is particularly amazing.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-12-29, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvB's link
An Apple spokesman refused to comment on the matter on Wednesday, but said the company had handed the findings of its internal enquiry to the SEC. The company said in October that it had found “no misconduct by any member of Apple’s current management team” but that its investigation “raised serious concerns regarding the actions of two former officers”. At the same time, it also announced the resignation from its board of Fred Andersen, a former chief financial officer. Mr Andersen had not been a director at the time of the 2001 options grant.
This paragraph leaves me wondering. Are they implicating Fred Andersen as one of the former officers? Or does it imply he is beyond reproach since he was not a director at the time of the options grant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Boy if Fred Anderson is implicated in this, as fall guy or one of the real culprits, that will really shake my trust in the company. He has always been considered so highly, pretty much universally, to say nothing of Jobs even.
That's a great comment BR. I agree that Andersen is considered a stand-up guy and to be implicated in this would shake one's confidence in the company. At the same time, if they make him the scape goat then that would also cause me to doubt the integrity of those running Apple. It is going to be interesting to see how this unfolds.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-12-29, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I think that first paragraph is particularly amazing.
I am working on a Pipeline Inspection board for an Oil Company right now...

The PCB was designed by a friend of mine in the UK, and parts were sourced from all over the globe.. Including those fancy accelerometers you find in the Wii's handsets.

During the fabrication process we were doing some pretty similar stuff to get components that were 'out of stock', which did include sending out people to rake items from shelves in Asia.

As we get closer to the first pipeline test if any more problems hit the project then I can see some very dynamic people doing some quite drastic things to get me what I need to complete my job on time...

Where big money, and bold designs come together, especially with market presures such as deadlines I would not put it past companies to have people knocked off to reach their goals..

I also remember being part of the 'black-ops' unit at a well known 90's Virtual Reality company in the UK, where I was tasked with trying to find back doors into other companies systems.. This was at the same time we were advising on the movie Lawn Mower Man... and don't even get me started about Hollywood!

The same MD who asked me to create the 'black-ops' unit (famously) used the phrase 'Flux Capacitor' on various occasions, and really believed that they were a real world item. Who was I to argue.. I took the money, and bought the toys, and gave him periodic reports on, well, nothing... But that's another story..

Last edited by scratt : 2006-12-29 at 02:04.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-12-29, 08:40

Fred Anderson has already resigned from Apple's board of directors. He's definitely going to go down in some way over this options backdating issue.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-12-29, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Fred Anderson has already resigned from Apple's board of directors. He's definitely going to go down in some way over this options backdating issue.
I thought the timing of his departure as CFO was odd given how incredibly well Apple was "managing" its money. Maybe they were managing it too well. Although, it looks like things are settled and they're taking a $100 million hit for the backdating. Nothing too terrible at all.

I missed my chance to buy more AAPL. Oh well.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-29, 11:46

http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/29/tech...ion=2006122910

Quote:
Apple says options probe clears Jobs
The iPod maker restates earnings and says CEO Steve Jobs was aware of some options backdating but that he was not involved with any other wrongdoing; stock surges on the news.
By Paul R. La Monica, CNNMoney.com editor at large
December 29 2006: 11:06 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Apple Computer disclosed in a regulatory filing Friday that chief executive officer Steve Jobs was aware that some stock options granted to him and other executives at Apple between 1997 and 2002 were backdated and that the company was restating financial results for the past few years as a result of the backdating.

But the maker of the popular iPod also said that Jobs did not financially benefit from the options and added that a special committee which investigated the options granting practices at Apple found no wrongdoing by Jobs or other current managers.
Well, that sounds better.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-12-29, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I thought the timing of his departure as CFO was odd given how incredibly well Apple was "managing" its money. Maybe they were managing it too well. Although, it looks like things are settled and they're taking a $100 million hit for the backdating. Nothing too terrible at all.

I missed my chance to buy more AAPL. Oh well.
To paraphrase Willy Nelson, "$100 million doesn't sound like a lot if you say it fast."

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2006-12-29 at 13:36.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-12-29, 13:05

I like $100 million because it's $100 hundred hundred hundred.
caoimhin

2006-12-31, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
If they get their "pound of flesh", me thinks Apple's stocks will plumett. Perhaps not in the long haul, but for a while.
We all know Jobs IS Apple. There's no one who can sell a new iPhone the way Jobs can. Certainly not Schiller. The only person that comes to mind is that young guy who introduced part of the Leopard preview at a recent show. I forget his name or even the event.
The guy that is being "groomed" to replace "the Steve" is Timothy Cook. He is Apple COO. Here is his Bio: Tim Cook

I believe this is the "... young guy who introduced part of the Leopard preview at a recent show."
Here is his Bio: Tony Fadell

Happy, Happy New Year to All!

Last edited by caoimhin : 2006-12-31 at 22:50. Reason: Add information
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-12-31, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
I believe this is the "... young guy who introduced part of the Leopard preview at a recent show."
That should most likely be Scott Forstall. At least that's what many of the transcriptions of the WWDC keynote and an Apple press release state.

Quote:
Happy, Happy New Year to All!
And to you as well.

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."
Benton

2007-01-01, 00:14

With all the distractions at Apple and Pixar of late, demand for Steves' time must be substantial. Isn't it highly likely he will need to share the MWSF 07 stage with others as before? My preferred presenter is Bertrand Serlet. He joined Apple with Steve's 1997 return after working with NeXT and Xerox. Here is a link to a YouTube video of Bertrand's presentation. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UPhwmjJ-Y

[
chucker

2007-01-01, 04:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
The guy that is being "groomed" to replace "the Steve" is Timothy Cook.
What makes you think that? Schiller or Forstall seems a more likely candidate. Cook may be a good manager, but I haven't seen any charisma on his part.

Quote:
No, like LudwigVan said, that's Forstall.

Happy 2007.