User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Yay! T-Mobile is increasing their SMS charge!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Yay! T-Mobile is increasing their SMS charge!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-13, 23:58

T-Mobile is following all the other carrier's lead, and the standard charge for an SMS (if you don't have an SMS package) will increase from $0.10 to $0.15.

And I couldn't be happier.

Such an increase constitutes a "material change" in the terms of the contract, meaning anybody who is with T-Mobile can jump ship to another carrier without paying T-Mobile's $200 early termination fee.

The rate hike happense June 1. Perfect timing, wouldn't you say?

Just thought I'd let you all know.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-03-14, 00:05

Hmm, if I get a free phone now, will I still be able to terminate early, or is it too late after today since the rate hike is already announced?

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-03-14, 00:42

Bastards!

I wouldn't be so mad if they would just offer, say, a $5 a month, 300 message option for family plans. But no, we only get a $20 a month option (granted, it is for unlimited messages).

Makes me wish I hadn't ditched Sprint and their $5-for-500 option back in December.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-14, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Hmm, if I get a free phone now, will I still be able to terminate early, or is it too late after today since the rate hike is already announced?
From what I've heard, on the 15th they're going to start making people sign another Terms and Conditions sheet saying that they know about and agree to the new SMS rates. So I guess if you got your phone, like, today, you might still be able to plead the fifth. I don't know if I'd risk it, though - unless you want that free phone to cost you $200.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-03-14, 01:06

Well, the funny part is it totally doesn't matter to me anyway. I've never been in a set contract with a cell phone company since the first year of my plan. Since then I'd rather just pay for a phone than get stuck one company for two years or pay a huge fine.

Plus I've gotten a few phones upgraded that way. Apparently ours were so old they wouldn't work with the new VM system.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-03-14, 05:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Well, the funny part is it totally doesn't matter to me anyway. I've never been in a set contract with a cell phone company since the first year of my plan. Since then I'd rather just pay for a phone than get stuck one company for two years or pay a huge fine.

Plus I've gotten a few phones upgraded that way. Apparently ours were so old they wouldn't work with the new VM system.
I'm also free and clear, contract-wise... but am not sure that I understand how I could get the company to upgrade my phone (since I bought it from them straight-up).... is that what you mean you did? If so, how??!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-14, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Bastards!

I wouldn't be so mad if they would just offer, say, a $5 a month, 300 message option for family plans. But no, we only get a $20 a month option (granted, it is for unlimited messages).

Makes me wish I hadn't ditched Sprint and their $5-for-500 option back in December.
I have the same option for my Sidekick III, but that was one of the reasons I liked switching to T-Mobile. Last month, I think between texts sent and received, I had close to 2000.

That's why Verizon wasnt cutting it for me because their packages were insanely priced.

Other than that, I love my Sidekick III and I am glad I have switched so far. Maybe in 2 years when my contract is up and the iPhone is no longer in Rev A, I may switch, but that's along time away.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-14, 15:35

Hmm.

According to T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions, unless the notice (likely included with our next bills) otherwise states how long you have to cancel, you have 14 days to do so. So it's looking like I might have to cancel a few months earlier than June.

And I kinda doubt Cingular is going to let me upgrade my phone to an iPhone after two months (although T-Mobile actually let me upgrade my phone after three).

That's not a problem, really - I can just hop on GoPhone for a few months, if I need to. Or any prepaid service, for that matter. Haha, I should so return to my Virgin Mobile roots...not.

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-03-14, 21:22

Yeah, that is a good way to go....Virgin not that bad(Well till they took away my free night and weekends and raise free nights and weekends to 54 bucks) better then what Boost prices are for the same type of service.

I'm just gonig to sign a one year contract with T-mobile till iPhone version 2.0 comes out.....

Very intresting stuff about T-Mo stores:
http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...rep-242720.php

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-14, 22:36

VM actually isn't that bad for pay-as-you-go. But I'd be getting a "Pick Your Plan" GoPhone...basically, pretty close to what I'd be getting with AT&T proper, just with no contract or advanced "MEdia Net" features. That'll let me check out AT&T's network, and when I do go post-paid, I'll be able to keep my GoPhone as a backup (god forbid anything happens to my iPhone). And not even Net10's pay-as-you-go can match a "Pick Your Plan" GoPhone plan.

I'm considering just grabbing a V3xx or KRZR (which is now supported in iSync!) and waiting for the 3G iPhone, as well. We'll see.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-03-14, 23:38

You may be able to get out of contract with T-Mo while still having an account (as a month-to-month customer). That's what I did with Cingular when they did the same SMS charge increase. Call and make sure you specify that you don't want to close your account, just that you'd like to go month-to-month.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-15, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
You may be able to get out of contract with T-Mo while still having an account (as a month-to-month customer). That's what I did with Cingular when they did the same SMS charge increase. Call and make sure you specify that you don't want to close your account, just that you'd like to go month-to-month.
Wow, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks muchly.

I still might pick up a GoPhone to check Cingular's coverage, though - the iPhone does require a two-year contract.

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-03-16, 22:53

Roboman, where did you hear about this?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-17, 01:03

HowardForums.
rasmits
rams it

2007-03-17, 02:36

I really like T-Mo, I've been with them since before they were Voicestream. I recently called them for help with my phone and the girl was like, "We'd like to thank you for being a loyal, valued customer for so long. Quite impressive!" It made me smile.

I almost never talk on the phone - I use about 50 minutes a month, but I use on average maybe 2,000 texts. This may affect my bill a bit.

You had me at asl
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-03-17, 02:52

Well if you use 2000 text..I'm sure you have unlimited text for 20 bucks..so this won't effect you. lol

Anyway, from sources from said web forum:

Quote:
Messaging Rate Changes Effective June 1 – Action Required

Overview
Effective June 1, the price to send or receive all domestic individual messages including text, IM, picture, video, and multimedia messages, will change to 15 cents.
All dealers must follow these action steps when activating new customers:
• Notify all customers activating between March 15 and May 31 that text message and MMS rates will change effective June 1.
• All customers activating between March 15 and May 31 must review and sign the service agreement addendum being shipped now.
• Ensure dealers understand that all customers activating between March 15 and May 31 must review and sign the Service Agreement Addendum.
• Ensure manual addendums are delivered to dealers immediately.

Details
Domestic messaging rate changes
• The charge to send or receive text or instant message from the U.S. or Canada will increase from 10 cents to 15 cents per message.
• The charge to send or receive picture, video or multimedia messages (MMS) from the U.S. or Canada will decrease from 25 cents to 15 cents per message.
International messaging rate changes
• The charge to send a text message to an international number from the U.S. or Canada will remain at 15 cents per message.
• The charge to send a text message while roaming internationally will remain at 35 cents per message.
• The charge to send an MMS message to an international number and the charge to send or receive an MMS while roaming internationally will decrease from 25 cents to 15 cents per message.
Messaging bundles
• The pricing for message bundles will not change.
• Overages will be charged according to the new rates.

Service agreement addendums - action required
• An addendum to the WATSON service agreement will be added March 15.
o The addendum will print as a third page and must be signed by the customer.
• Addendums to the manual service agreements are being printed in both English and Spanish.
o They will be arriving in admin centers on or before March 14.
o They must be delivered to dealers immediately.
Note: 25 percent of manual addendums will arrive by March 14. Please divide based on dealer need. All dealers must have manual service agreement addendums on hand by March 15. The rest of the manual service agreement addendums will arrive by March 22.
• EDP dealers will receive manual addendums directly on or before March 15.
• When using a manual service agreement, customers must sign the manual addendums starting on March 15 through end-of business May 31.
• The manual addendum has three pages:
o The top copy is for the customer - attach to the customer copy of the manual service agreement
o The second copy is for the dealer - attach to the second copies of the manual service agreement
o The third copy is for T-Mobile - attach to the third copy of the manual service agreement.

Pricing Brochure and Getting Acquainted with T-Mobile Guide
• The Getting Acquainted with T-Mobile Guide, generated by WATSON, will be updated on June 1.
• The Pricing Brochure will be updated as part of the May collateral refresh and will accurately support rates before and after the June 1 rate change date.

Notification to customers
• Starting March 15, bill inserts will go out to all existing postpaid customers announcing the messaging rate changes.
• New customers activating between March 15 and May 31 will also receive an addendum to their service agreement announcing the messaging rate change.

Action steps
1. Inform all dealers of the revised messaging pricing effective June 1.
2. Have dealers review the service agreement addendum with their customers before they sign it.
3. Encourage dealers to interest customers in one of T-Mobile's messaging bundles:
o $4.99 per month for 400 messages
o $9.99 per month for 1000 messages
o $14.99 per month for unlimited messages
o $19.95 per month for unlimited messages on our FamilyTime plans

Linky

So yeahj if this is all true..we will know very soon if people can make a run to the iPhone..lol

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-03-18, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Has anyone been able to get T-Mobile to let them do this? If I can get out of this contract early, I'd like to, because you never know what's coming down the pipeline.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-03-19, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Has anyone been able to get T-Mobile to let them do this? If I can get out of this contract early, I'd like to, because you never know what's coming down the pipeline.
I hope we can. Someone on HowardForums says T-Mo won't allow it, though.

It would make sense for them to, if the customer is pushy. I'm going to say "Either you let me out of my contract and I stay on month-to-month, or you let me out of my contract and I cancel." They'd be dumb to make me cancel, but corporations aren't always smart.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-03-19, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
I hope we can. Someone on HowardForums says T-Mo won't allow it, though.

It would make sense for them to, if the customer is pushy. I'm going to say "Either you let me out of my contract and I stay on month-to-month, or you let me out of my contract and I cancel." They'd be dumb to make me cancel, but corporations aren't always smart.
That's what I'm afraid of. And, since I've only been a customer for four months, I can't use the standard "I've been with you for x years but now I'll have to think about switching" line.