User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Favorite mac desktop: imac vs powermac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Favorite mac desktop: imac vs powermac
timac

2005-04-23, 18:17

If money were no a conern, based on perfomance, style, and apperance, what is your favorite mac desktop the imac or the powermac?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-04-23, 18:24

With money not a factor, I would get a powermac for expandability/power.

However, since I already have one my second choice would actually be a few Mac minis in various places all over the house networked as video servers/clients and suited for small applications where a Powermac would be overkill. (Home theater comes to mind, + Elgato = TV, the possibilities are endless)

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
holbox

2005-04-23, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by timac
If money were no a conern, based on perfomance, style, and apperance, what is your favorite mac desktop the imac or the powermac?

A power Mac is great. I love mine!

Also have an iMac Flat Panel G4.

Not a thing wrong with it, but it sure isn't a Power Mac G5 by any standard.

Besides the great preformance it's nice knowing that you've got something that you can upgrade for almost any task.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-04-24, 01:34

Er, well, if someone could give me either of them for free, I guess I'd take the top of the line Power Mac G5. Still, in the real world, I prefer the iMac.
defaultmike

2005-04-24, 01:52

I have a Dual 2.0 G5, and still, everyday I'm amazed at how awesome it is. It's a great machine with way too much computing power. I also have a 1.2GHz G4 iBook, a machine which I use way more than the G5. it's great for internet, digital photography, music, and home videos. My only complaints are that with 256mb of Ram, it's a bit sluggish with my over 1,000 pics in iPhoto 4. But that'll all be solved when I buy more memory (a 1Gb stick), and that a 60Gb HDD is too small for my intents. Although having a g5 with 250gb hdd sure helps in splitting all of the content.

But though I do think that having a really powerful desktop system (specially since I'm a graphic designer) and a not-so-powerful laptop is the perfect set-up, I can see where having an iMac would be a good compromise. It's powerful enough for amateur and even some pro users, and it's still a great machine for your digital lifestyle.
jimbo123

2005-04-24, 03:11

Hi all I'm about to jump into the Mac world but need advice:
Currently I'm running Compaq Athlon 2.2 with 512mb ram and G4 64mb graphics card. For what I use acomputer for this is sufficent apart from when dealing with graphics ie touching up large picture from my 7Mega pixel camera and having a few windows open with differnt pictures. The computer cannot cope with the refresh.

I't looks like I will be going for an iMac but will I have he same problem of referesh if I have a few pictures open? Bare in mind I will have 512mb in the iMac if not 1GB when I purchase. Considering the iMac only has a low end 64mb graphics card would I be just better to purchase a PM?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-24, 04:48

I'll take the iMac every time. I dig the look and am not someone who needs the expansion capabilities (at least, I haven't been for 12 years). I've owned a DV and a G4 iMac, and sometimes think I'd love to have a 20" iMac G5 (but I enjoy my PowerBook so much, so I probably won't).

Maybe a 20" PowerBook G5 is what I secretly lust for? Best of both?

Just never been a tower guy.
NaMo4184

2005-04-24, 12:20

+1 for the imac. The only problem i have with it is the low end video card. Everything thats important can be upgraded besides the video card
gar

2005-04-24, 13:10

iMacG5, imo
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-24, 13:21

The iMac might be kinda cool, but if I'm paying that kind of money I'd rather have a PowerMac. $1300-$1800 is just too much to spend on an unexpandable consumer desktop.

Okay, you said if money were no object... I still say PowerMac. I mean, if I had an unlimited amount of funds to spend, I could have a way cooler machine than an iMac. With an iMac... hmm... I'd get it and put it on my desk. With a PowerMac, though, I'd want a huge desk, a couple of 30" cinema displays, all that good stuff. Put a couple of 400 GB SATA drives in there. It would be sweet.
Kyros

2005-04-24, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo123
I't looks like I will be going for an iMac but will I have he same problem of referesh if I have a few pictures open? Bare in mind I will have 512mb in the iMac if not 1GB when I purchase. Considering the iMac only has a low end 64mb graphics card would I be just better to purchase a PM?
Wait until the revision B iMacs come out, they are suppsed to have 128 mb graphics cards.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-04-24, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros
Wait until the revision B iMacs come out, they are suppsed to have 128 mb graphics cards.
I thought that was still uncertain.
Mr.Fusion

2005-04-25, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I thought that was still uncertain.
It is still uncertain, but I'm banking on it, because my G4 PM is dying, and I need a slick new iMac (with an acceptably slick graphics card) soon to pick up the torch and carry on. {crosses fingers}

- - - - - -

EDIT: Of course, if I could afford a cinema display and a Dual-G5, this wouldn't be an issue
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2005-04-25, 11:54

I'd get 8 Mac Minis and hook 'em up with Xgrid. (Somehow)
Wraven

2005-04-25, 14:40

If money were no object, I would have 2x 30" displays driven by a 2x2.5GHz (or 2.7GHz tomorrow?) PowerMac, with 8GB of RAM and that kit that lets you put 5x400GB HDs in the PowerMac. Gotta be AT LEAST a 3" penis extension.

Cheers,
Wraven
defaultmike

2005-04-25, 16:24

the imac should do fine with your 7mpx images, specially with 512. (256 just isn't enough)
But if u get a powermac, say a Dual 2.0. You'll be amazed at how many more images u can have open, or how many more programs you can run simultaneously. Your computer will be so fast, it's gonna make u smile constantly!
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-04-25, 16:33

Powermac all the way.
Why settle for less (iMac) when you can have it all (Powermac).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-04-25, 17:11

Because "less" costs less (and looks cooler!).

I'm planning on buying a Revision C (you read right) iMac. I'm hoping it comes out in November or so, but I'll wait until MWSF if I need to...but then again, does Apple even update stuff at MWSF any more? It seems like they just announce new stuff, get everybody to buy the old stuff because it wasn't updated, and then they update it all in February-May...

I'll probably pick up a fairly bare-bones Mac mini in the meantime (summer, after I move...again) while I save up for the iMac. I know, it probably would make more financial sense to just wait a few extra months, but if I did, I'd never have an excuse to get the Mini. (Plus, there's no guarantee an iMac update will arrive this November...and I can think of plenty of uses for a Mini that's not a primary computer any more).

P.S. Can "any more" be a compound word? Like, "anymore?"
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-25, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
P.S. Can "any more" be a compound word? Like, "anymore?"
Yes, but it has a different meaning from "any more." In that case you should use "anymore."

From here:

Quote:
The word anymore is an adverb. According to Merriam-Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary (10th ed.), it can mean "any longer" or "at the present." Thus, sentence 3 is correct because we could write "John does not subscribe to Time magazine any longer." Here are two more examples of anymore used correctly:

-- Fred is not the president of his professional organization anymore.
-- Dorothy said to Toto, "We aren't in Kansas anymore."

The two-word phrase "any more," on the other hand, functions adjectivally; that is, it modifies (describes) a noun. Sentences 1 and 2, then, should refer to "any more vacation" and "any more papers," respectively.