Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Powermac Intel in March. MacPro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powermac Intel in March. MacPro?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kokotah

2006-01-10, 21:46

After watching the keynote I took note of what Steve Jobs said about Apple's 'pro' applications becoming 'universal' in March. I think we will see the Powermacs (or MacPro they may well be called) surface some time in March. We already know that all Intel Macs will be ready by the end of 2006, and after the 'Macbook' was released this morning I don't think it's too farfetched considering Steve said himself when using Photoshop on the iMac that it's not powerful enough for 'pro' users.

While most people might think that they will announce the Intel Powermacs at the WWDC, I got the impression that they have already completed the most difficult parts of the Intel switch and they merely requires a bit more time for them to make it a reality.

Remember what most people were saying 24 hours ago... 0% chance of iMac update; now look where we are. I think it's a genuine possibility, thoughts?

RobM

2006-01-10, 21:49

My stab in the dark - announce at NAB ... available June

edit: yeah MacPro or somesuch, MacTowerPro - sheesh, i dunno ...

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-10, 22:14

No... If they changed the PowerBook to MacBook then surely the PowerMac will become a 'MacMac'.. AhhhaAAAAAAHAHHHHAAAAAHAAAAAAHHAAAA

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-01-10, 22:43

wow that is all i can say.

except for......

THESE NEW NAMES SUCK F#$%ING A**********************************

chaos123x

2006-01-10, 22:57

MacPro

MacPro Extreme

Mac Extreme

Big Mac

Mac Daddy

Mac dubious

Mac Dizzle

Mac Dog

Mac the night

Mac and cheese

just not "Power"mac

MacPro Extreme is my guess and it sounds just as bad as MacBook Pro... So I guess I'm right.

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 22:58

Hey it could be worst....

...They could of called them "dimension"

rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-01-10, 23:00

They'll keep the PowerMac. It has "Mac" in the name, and that was one of the reasons for the PowerBook's renaming.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 23:08

No they won't the reason for getting rid of the Power is because the Power PC is not in it any more... So once the Intel chips are in there 'Power' will go.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-10, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
They'll keep the PowerMac. It has "Mac" in the name, and that was one of the reasons for the PowerBook's renaming.
Did Steve say that in the keynote, or is that just your conjecture?

I don't think Apple needed to make sure "Mac" was in the name just because they've switched to x86. Hell, most people probably didn't know Apple wasn't using x86 all along.

I don't think Apple felt like they suddenly have to drop one of their most recognizable names in order to make it more recognizable as a Mac.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-10, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
No they won't the reason for getting rid of the Power is because the Power PC is not in it any more... So once the Intel chips are in there 'Power' will go.
The Powerbook was called a Powerbook before it used a PowerPC. Try again.

2stepbay

2006-01-11, 00:47

The big day coming is April 1 - Apple's 30th year anniversary. Steve alluded to it, saying he wasn't sure what Apple would do - HA! The man is a good snake charmer. He'll make the most of a 30 year celebration - you can bet the stock price on it!

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
The Powerbook was called a Powerbook before it used a PowerPC. Try again.
Doesn't matter. The reason for getting rid of PowerBook is still to remove that *current* association.

If you believe it's simply because 'Steve wants to remove all traces of the period when he was ousted' then you really are living in a dream world. He would not have made such a petty decision, nor I believe have been allowed to make that decision unilateraly.

I can almost guarantee that 'MacBook' was a compromise in the Intel / Apple talks...

I really don't need to try again dude.. 'cos it's so damn obvious to all.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

RobM

2006-01-11, 01:01

scratt - you're on the money, son !

No way Intel was going to go with Power anything - esp if they are developing mobo's for Apple.

edit: I couldn't care less what the name is.
We are now starting to see what we hoped to see 2 years ago - great fast Macs if the new 'books and iMacs are anything to judge by.
Not that the G5's are slugs - great machines.

Last edited by RobM : 2006-01-11 at 01:16.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM
scratt - you're on the money, son !

No way Intel was going to go with Power anything - esp if they are developing mobo's for Apple.
Thanks buddy! Seems obvious really doesn't it...

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-01-11, 01:18

If they've changed the name for the benefit of the PC crowd who might not know what a PowerBook is... why didn't they go with MACBook ?

They can easily transition PowerMac to PowerMAC too

RobM

2006-01-11, 01:21

I mean, really, sometimes you just gotta let go ... not that we have a choice.

geddovahit - we ain't going back ...

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^
They can easily transition PowerMac to PowerMAC too
No.. Because that would mean a "powerful (MAC) Media Access Control address".

Whatever that is!?!

Tom the Piper's son

2006-01-11, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
No... If they changed the PowerBook to MacBook then surely the PowerMac will become a 'MacMac'
Thanks ScrattScratt,
You made my Dayday...
ByeBye!

jade

2006-01-11, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos123x
MacPro

MacPro Extreme

Mac Extreme

Big Mac

Mac Daddy

Mac dubious

Mac Dizzle

Mac Dog

Mac the night

Mac and cheese

just not "Power"mac

MacPro Extreme is my guess and it sounds just as bad as MacBook Pro... So I guess I'm right.
MacPower Pro

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-11, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade
MacPower Pro
sorry, the Power is out...

LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade
MacPower Pro
Throatwobbler Mangrove.

LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokotah
...considering Steve said himself when using Photoshop on the iMac that it's not powerful enough for 'pro' users.
Was he referring to the power of Rosetta, or the new iMac's weaker Intel processor compared to the future Intel PowerMacs (whatever the hell they'll be called)? I assumed the former judging from quotes and context mentioned elsewhere (I've not yet viewed the keynote).

RobM

2006-01-11, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Was he referring to the power of Rosetta, or the new iMac's weaker Intel processor compared to the future Intel PowerMacs (whatever the hell they'll be called)? I assumed the former judging from quotes and context mentioned elsewhere (I've not yet viewed the keynote).
nah - he was just having a dig at Chizens and Adobe. "C'mon we're not going to wait for you again ..."
Remember - what was the last big app to transition to X ?

MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-01-11, 02:36

Why couldn't they go with "ProBook"?

iBook / ProBook
iMac / ProMac

Anyways...
It's obvious that making the new Macs with Intel Inside isn't an issue... it's getting all the software companies to make universal binaries of their programs.

Adobe... get on the ball!

Microsoft... don't bother making universal binaries unless you plan to make Media Player for Mac play EVERYTHING the windows version can play.

copland

2006-01-11, 02:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos123x
Big Mac
I'm calling one of my hard disks a Big Mac.
At least this name would reference the size of the current towers.

copland

BinaryLogic

2006-01-11, 02:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Throatwobbler Mangrove.
Classic! Monty Python!

Herrah!

Cheers for the laugh mate!

Jon

RyanPaige

2006-01-11, 03:33

If they announce that the new PowerMacs will be called MacDaddys, I would place my order immediately.

But that's just how I roll.

moloko

2006-01-11, 08:38

educated speculation : the "PowerMacIntels" — "MacPro's" *ouch* no! "ProMacs" for my 2c — will still have to wait for forthcoming 64-bit Intel dualcores — Apple won't touch the current Netburst architecture Pentium-D with it's limitations (Netburst is on it's way out, from Intel's perspective; a serious limitation is that the cores have to communicate via the frontside bus - the G5 970MP still smokes it due to the cores' ability to communicate directly / access each other's caches, etc...) — we just gotta (TM) keep our eyes on the Intel roadmap, guys...

Apple will most likely implement Conroe, a 64-bit desktop dual-core Pentium M successor — due out 2nd half 2006:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/colu...c-20050608.ars

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2526

...by which time Adobe may be ready to release Photoshop CS3 / 10.0 for OS X x86 ?!

Last edited by moloko : 2006-01-11 at 09:17.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-01-11, 08:52

I agree moloko. Apple can't really do anything in advance of Intels roadmap now. I would have thought the iMac would have waited for Conroe, or at least Merom since Apple might not wanted to go back to 32 bit on the iMac again. Guess 64 bit *really* is overestimated for us ordinary folks.

But as far as I know, pros do 64 bit stuff on their PowerMacs, so they cant go Core Duo. Maybe Merom, everything is possible with Apple. But my money is also on Conroe.

The iBooks, however, will probably need a rework before the educational buying season, so for them April 1st is the ideal time to transition along with the eMac (if it gets to live any longer) and the Mini (which might replace the eMac).

moloko

2006-01-11, 09:10

absolut.

i suspect the updated media-mini predicted by Think Secret has to wait for the single-core Yonah (would have eclipsed the G5 iMac otherwise), likewise the MacBook sans-Pro (formerly iBook, for same issues with the former PowerBook G4 line) — these could well be the April announcements hinted at...

admittedly further off-thread: with the glut of intel chips heading our way, i can also see a couple of switcharounds... ie: Merom (64-bit) becoming the even newer MacBook Pro when ready, further processor down-shuffling and more regular updates — isn't this part of the reason for MacIntel?