MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 18 of 21 First Previous 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-01, 22:30

So the server is back up and everything seems good to me. Please check on it. I'm dealing with 15 servers total hosted by the ESXi host while TRYING to enjoy New Year's Day.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-02, 14:44

Went for a quick spin. All seems good to me. Thanks for staying on top of all this, T.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-04, 11:54

Thank you for checking on this, I REALLY appreciate it.
¡Damned!

2022-01-29, 20:09

I've got a question! Is the render distance 'fixed' on the server – that is, I can't change it client-side? I was fiddling with the video prefs and that slider didn't seem to make a difference either way.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-30, 10:18

Currently we are set to a view-distance of 10. We can go up to 32 but that seems overkill. What are you thinking? I'm open to making it larger. It will require a server restart, but that is easy to do when no one is playing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2022-01-30, 12:32

Maybe 16? If player's machines start smoking we'll go back.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-02, 13:25

Done.

I just did it and restarted the server right before a player logged in. Timing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-02, 14:02

Don't blame me. I log in, log out, log in, log out.

It's a real thing. There's probably a medical name for it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-02, 14:43

hehe
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-23, 14:03

Early warning: I'm going to be working on my hardware and moving some stuff around. At some point I'm going to have to shut down the ANMC server to be able to move and bring up on the new host. I don't know when that is going happen but it won't be too long from now.

Play away and enjoy while it is still up. It might be the weekend before I get it, or later tonight.

I'll post here when it is about to happen. I've got to evacuate one server and do some hardware upgrades and such, then bring up the new hardware, smoke test and then go live.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-02-23, 22:05

Thanks for the heads-up, T.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-24, 21:33

Now is the time. Server going down.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-24, 21:50

And back up on the new host. Have fun!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-26, 11:41

Going to go down one more time so I can add an SSD and HDD to the new host. It will be brief but you won't be able to get in while they are down. If you try and can't get in, give it 15 minutes and try again.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-19, 09:26

Power is out, server is down. I did a proper shutdown before the battery backup died though so we should be completely safe on the restart.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-20, 09:11

In case it wasn't figured out, power did return at my house.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-20, 09:55

Thanks for holding the fort and keeping us updated.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-20, 10:10

Hopefully in the not too distant future I'll have solar with battery backup and won't have this issue. For now though, I have a normal UPS on my rack which is woefully under capacity for the components on the rack. However, Given our backup strategy on the ANMC server and the secondary nightly backups of the VM itself we should be golden if something does go sideways.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-20, 10:43

Tell me about it, man. I have a UPS for my most critical computer and a couple external drives connected to it that run backups, and it's been useful during a few storms over the years, but I still don't have anything for my network gear which is in another room. Some day I'll find the motivation… some day…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-07-27, 21:41

Whatever will Grey do while the server is down??? O.o

¡Damned!

2022-07-28, 08:15

👈
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-28, 09:32

Holy crap man! Those are all free games right? (GoG?)

I only play two games that aren't on my iPad when chilling for the night. MC and Fallout 76. I might go back and play The Outer Worlds again but on my console as opposed to the PC I played it on the first time.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-28, 10:45

If there's one thing I know about Grey, it's that he has all the things!
¡Damned!

2022-07-28, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Holy crap man! Those are all free games right? (GoG?)
Lotsa Humble bundles, Steam sales, etc. That app, GOG Galaxy, keeps track of all your games across all services (GOG, Steam, Origin, Epic, ...). Pretty handy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-09, 13:33

Rather than updating the maps thread I'm putting this here since it will likely impact the game too.

I'm working to change up my network yet again. My general infrastructure will remain the same though I'm adding in a load balancer for other functions I host. This includes changing DNS providers and restructuring some of that.

If you encounter connectivity issues and they persist, please let me know. I discovered the proxying that Cloudflare does broke the maps rendering though I want it behind their (free) protection for a number of reasons.

This shouldn't impact the game server, but it is possible that there will be some issues so I figured I'd mention it here.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-22, 10:57

Hmmmm... I noticed the maps are down right now due to DNS issues. I'm going to be working through those in the near future. It would appear that CF doesn't like the redirects and CNAMEs we currently have set up.

For now, the maps work at my URL: https://maps.turtle2472.com

I've just messaged Brad about getting the game server URL updated because I'm ditching the DYN hostnames I've had for years and moving to CF as mentioned earlier. For now, if you can't reach the game server through "mc.applenova.com" then you should be able to through my direct URL: mc.turtle2472.com

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-12-24, 15:44

Ditto what turtle said about the server address. Earlier today I updated the mc.applenova.com CNAME to point to the new mc.turtle2472.com address, but Minecraft doesn't seem happy about it, and I'm not sure why. Until we can confirm it's working reliably, stick with T's hostname.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-12-24, 15:47

Orrrr maybe it is working? But only sometimes? Super weird. The mc.applenova.com CNAME appears to be working for me now, and I'm not sure why or what could have changed. I'm curious to see whether or not it's working for the rest of you.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-12-24, 16:05

What is our Discord server for talking, and does the game start at 11pm tonight?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-24, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Orrrr maybe it is working? But only sometimes? Super weird. The mc.applenova.com CNAME appears to be working for me now, and I'm not sure why or what could have changed. I'm curious to see whether or not it's working for the rest of you.
It wasn't working when you checked, but I disabled the proxy service before coming here to post. So right now mc.applenova.com and mc.turtle2472.com should resolve to the game server as normal. Maps are still in the works with my most recent PM to you. maps.turtle2472.com does work right now until mcmaps.applenova.com gets adjusted.

Drew, I actually did create a discord server but haven't put out the details on it. It is pretty much only Brad and myself who are members and we don't even use it. Maybe I'll post the details on it so we have it as a point of reference in the future.