Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 189 of 189 First Previous 185 186 187 188 [189]  Thread Tools
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2022-09-20, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Guess he loves meat after all, must be all the pent up anger from just eating plants.
¡Damned!

2022-09-23, 10:16

** "I'm Doing My Part!" News **

US Space Force releases official song.

Semper Supra!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-24, 12:50

Chatter appears to be implying that China's Xi is in isolation lockdown. Some have said military coup and other saying it is "different" though still somewhat acknowledging isolation.

This could get very interesting.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-24, 14:32

Maybe he's in isolation due to having COVID, which means it's most likely nothing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-24, 15:38

Maybe. China has always been tight lipped so we will know for sure soon enough. Either he is back in the public eye or he is dead and someone new is in charge. Only one extreme or the other really.

True that is really could be nothing. I just found it odd that so many are pinging on military coup there. I mean, Iran, Pakistan, Malaysia.... sure. China? That seems less likely though we go back to they are pretty tight lipped.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-24, 17:47

A military takeover in China would have meant taking out the entire central comity, it would be more than just Xi.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-27, 12:11

Apparently Xi surfaced publicly. I didn't bother reading anything about it, just that he is clearly still running things in one form or fashion.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-27, 14:54

I didn’t look too hard, but I never saw anything about this, beside your posts here.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-09-27, 15:13

The original source was the Epoch Times, so I'm not surprised this turned out to be nothing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-27, 15:19

I saw it on blogs that pass through my RSS feeds. So clearly not a "reliable source" and why I didn't link to it originally.

I looked today and an India news outfit published it as fact fueling the fire more. Now Yahoo is saying it was all a hoax originating from Twitter. Seems fitting.

In other news though, the Toebbe couple pleads guilty, again, with a plea deal they hope will be acceptable since the judge rejected their original deal.

I hope they fry. Certainly at least stay locked up the rest of their life. With no, and I mean no, outside communication beyond their prison wall.

Last edited by turtle : 2022-09-27 at 15:42.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-30, 12:33

"A Food Delivery Drone Crashed, Burned, and Left Thousands Without Electricity"
Quote:
An Alphabet-owned Wing drone "incinerated itself" after it became entangled in power lines in Brisbane, Australia. On the bright side, the food stayed hot.
Funny story here. As a drone owner I was aware of power lines. Kinda funny that this one managed to play the part of a squirrel and transformer.

kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2022-09-30, 13:05

Whoops!

Well, Alphabet is gonna be on the hook for some repairs. If you live there, make sure all your electroniky things are working and prepare your claims if they went kaput!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-30, 21:16

I watched the back end of the AI Day broadcast centered around "Teslabot".

Boston Dynamics doesn't have anything to worry about just yet.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-01, 09:44

After a night's sleep I realize that Musk's robot is brand new and has a different goal.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-10-03, 20:33

The Onion filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court in defense of parody. It's a searing defense of free speech and also the funniest legal document ever drafted:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...us%20Brief.pdf
¡Damned!

2022-10-04, 10:20

Loretta Lynn has passed, at 90.

What an amazing talent and life. One of the few artists that were in constant rotation (with Cash, Holly, Presley and Manilow) at my house when I was growing up. Bittersweet memories.

So it goes.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2022-10-04, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The Onion filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court in defense of parody. It's a searing defense of free speech and also the funniest legal document ever drafted:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...us%20Brief.pdf
I just watched this guy on the matter, and greatly respect his opinion.

What The Onion is doing is both funny and serious in the same breath, and I hope the SCOTUS has the balls to take this one up. Failure to do so will leave the 6th Circuit's ruling in place, permitting police to arrest people who criticize them. That cannot be allowed to stand!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Anonymous Coward

Yesterday, 14:14

Rust filming to continue after Alec Baldwin reaches settlement over civil suit. I am a bit surprised that this movie will be completed, although I suppose due to the notoriety due to the prop gun death, it will attract some viewers. The production company wants to make it a "tribute" to the slain cinematographer, but I wonder how they will have the budget to continue if all the questionable practices on set are to be brought up to standard. The article notes that the criminal investigation is still ongoing. So much for Alec Baldwin considering that his acting career may be over.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

Yesterday, 14:17

Guess he better get his part done filming quickly!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Yesterday, 14:23

I suspect Baldwin will get by somehow, even if he never gets another acting gig.

On a more serious note, the families reaction tells the real story, IMO. Usually the family of the victim(s) are the most adamant if something is even slightly fishy. That isn’t the case here.