MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 12 of 25 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  Next Last Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-12-17, 18:27

So turtle and i determined that what is happening is that when people are in the CC chunks the entities that were originally there are 'being spawned' back in new spawn. this is leading to error messages, and will repeat itself until all entites are spawned and killed, and the only way to do this is to have people on both 'sides' of the world and issue the killall all command. We managed to clear out sections of central cc. I was able to find minecarts that were being mis-spawned in the locations of the coordinates given by the errors, so these can be used to guide progressive investigations, but basically you have to have the person in new spawn be present before the person in cc loads the relevant chunks. this could be done systematically. or the cc chunks could simply be cleared out of their entity data, which is what i had assumed happened before we found grey's horses floating in the middle of the ocean.
¡Damned!

2013-12-17, 19:21

tl;dr: Option 1 (the former)

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-17, 19:31

I have serious misgivings about a lot of this. Like 709, I had assumed the new world would be generated around CC, which would continue to be developed as a city center (including the already awesome animal farms, exchange etc). Ditching CC, as once again seems likely to be the case sets us back. The 'new map' feel isn't making up for the repeated loss of construction time or gathered resources. I don't think we should be looking for maps in which entire biomes can be claimed for a single person, as this simply leads to large areas of unused sterile terrain. So if in-place saving of this world proves to be anethma, I stand with 709 in seeking to preserve CC as the core of our new world. Perhaps instead of settling in a plains biome, we can move as a whole into a messa (which is certainly very different than anything present previously). Call it Sedona II and make a nice nether link between the cities...

[Recommendation: to keep multiple city centers active divide the market up across civilization, CC can have common resources, the messa market stained clays, glasses etc. a nether market with relevant components etc etc. This will keep people moving through the various centers of development without forcing them to start over again]...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-17, 20:23

I like the new materials, but I liked CC too and hate that it's "gone".

That's my 2¢.

My 5¢ is that it would be fun to have occasional "new world" nights in which we just try to accomplish something in a new build, like move to a certain set of coords 5,000 blocks away without camping out for the night(s) of the journey.

Activity nights, if you will.

Grey, sorry about your sudden encapsulation syndrome in your water hut.

I heard about that.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-12-18, 04:08

Yikes, get overloaded at work for a couple of days and miss the fireworks, eh?
¡Damned!

2013-12-18, 10:54

No drama, just unforseen technical issues.

I guess the only downside to re-genning the land around CC is that we'd lose the newly built homes, and the structure moving tool might not be ready for a while.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-18, 11:26

In all of this, what will be the effect on gathered resources that are stored in our homes at the "old city" (Cashout Cove??)
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-12-18, 11:33

...I don't have much, but if anything could be done to save the current houses, I'd appreciate it. I quite like my first house since TerraNova.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-18, 12:07

If nothing else we'd help you remake that house back at CC, RS.

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-18, 14:14

So this should be decided soonish because everything we do now in the world seems like it will not count (perhaps the nether will be saved?)...

oh while whatever tinkering needs to go on is happening... might as well reset the end... killed the ender dragon in an unfair fight. i had bookshelves.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-12-18 at 15:37.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-18, 16:37

Unfair fight? You died, like, 6 times!!
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-18, 16:47

6! I wish it was just 6! Bookshelves. I was fighting the dragon with bookshelves.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-20, 15:33

I've been busy all week, and I'm just now catching up on things.

Although it would be nice to keep the new Biomeapalooza structures and loot, it looks like keeping Cashout Cove intact is the more favored option here. So, later this evening, I'll be shutting down the server, wiping the world, and restoring the center nine regions of Cashout Cove from before we started 1.7.

I won't bother moving the spawn. I would ask everyone, though, to please don't go hiking away for thousands or tens of thousands of blocks in the name of exploration. In just the last week, the world has grown to 894 MB, and that kind of growth is absolutely unsustainable. To compare, the preserved regions of CC account for a "mere" 46 MB, and that's a surface area of 2.3 million blocks. The entirety of the CC world before trimming to the town was still just 434 MB. I don't want to use a plugin to force a cap on the navigable distance from the origin, but I'm looking into it because I may have to.

You will lose your inventories; the player files need to be deleted for this to work. The end and nether will also be wiped.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-20, 15:44

Understood, boss.

And, grr!

Looks like that mega-pick and diamond armor are gone. Oh, well. Here's to beer!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-20, 16:49

OK, it's time... shutting down the server now!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-20, 17:21

Game is back up! Welcome to Cashout Cove.

I also took this opportunity to update Bukkit. Lots more bugs have been squashing in the last week since we started.
¡Damned!

2013-12-20, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I won't bother moving the spawn. ...
You know, I never really thought about it until you said it just now, but not moving spawn will be far better for us in the long run. It was always kind've a given that we'd have City 2 in Biomapalooza, but thinking about it now, it makes much more sense to expand from our home hub. I mean, just think about the world spread if we had CC and the new city 5000 blocks away from each other. Spider arms everywhere and world bloat would probably be even more massive that what the exploring has done in the past week. This way we branch out from home slowly.

Most of the sexy new biomes are within 1500 blocks of spawn, and we can really look at creating a cohesive Nether system that will grow organically instead of crazy long stretches to one place or another.

I like it. For all the wonkiness in the last couple of days, I think we ultimately arrived at a better solution for everything.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-20, 18:34

The hub I was working on in the new Nether was designed with that exact idea in mind. Simply put, I create a hub with four arms, each radiating outward about 200 meters, then drop in a a portal. From each of those, you work perpendicular 200 meters from each of those until you have 9 portals in a box only 400 meters across. Traveling 200 meters in the Nether moves you 1600 on the surface, so we would have a huge space above interconnected by a small space below.

If all are game, I'll go to work on it, nut it won't be until Monday. So if you leave the Nether portals alone (other than spawn) there will be no interference. Once the spider-hub is done, anyone can pop there own portals in and connect if they like, or there is still tons of virgin Nether to explore.

My two bits.

I think I have all the materials I need to do it, so all I need is spawn and time.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2013-12-20, 18:46

Actually, I had the same idea - i was even going to post a note/image about it. Though - in my version we would have diagonal arms going from the central hub to the NE, NW, SE & SW portals, and I was going to go 250, since that's a nice, even 2000. Now though, with most of the new biomes close to CC, I doubt we need the diagonals. They were more for outward exploration and not having to travel in 90 degree angles.

That said, if we go and build a nice Nether subsystem, I would rather not have it tunneling through Netherbrick. There's nothing fun about that. Part of the joy is the view. If we have to because of the terrain, sure, but the Central Station should be floating above lava and be glass encased.

Also, since we're not going City to City anymore, I wonder about scrapping the Pony Express. Especially if we're going to keep it smaller now and not have to travel 5000K topside. Rails may be better for this iteration.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-12-20 at 18:57.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-20, 18:55

We should do diagonal AND straight. With good signs, we could make short work of long distances.

As far as tunneling through Nether, depends on whether we want to keep the distance short, or have it wandering to kingdom come. The last system was kind of confusing for travel.

My system will be efficient, yours will be pretty. Could we combine the two?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-20, 18:56

Two things: Well that's all well and good except for the fact that most of those portals would end up uselessly in caves... Its better to find an area that might be of interest and plop a portal, rather than try to enforce a uniform grid. That said this sort of plopping would work fine with a polar or cartesian system of tunnels..

The nether is not the same as the one from the new world. it is different than the nether that was originally associated with cc, so its entirely new. i have already installed portals to my major points of effort/resources because those portals need to be where they are -- grid systems don't work for portals built into islands far from anything of interest (a description that captures both the new mob trap and my atoll).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-20, 18:59

Totally agreed. A grid system can be modified with leads to specific portals, though. Like I said, a combination of efficiency and necessity can be arrived at. Good signage will keep folks from getting [too] lost.

The previous system made almost zero sense to me, from a navigation standpoint.

¡Damned!

2013-12-20, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Two things: Well that's all well and good except for the fact that most of those portals would end up uselessly in caves... Its better to find an area that might be of interest and plop a portal, rather than try to enforce a uniform grid. That said this sort of plopping would work fine with a polar or cartesian system of tunnels..
Maybe, but then we tear down and build above. At *exact coords*.

I find that the more portals pop up 100ish or so blocks away from where they're supposed to the more it irks me. Plus, if we rebuild at the exact right spot, somehow it clicks like a Rubik's Cube. I hate having to rebuild a portal at x,z just so it doesn't connect to another 1000 blocks away, but such is MC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
The nether is not the same as the one from the new world. it is different than the nether that was originally associated with cc, so its entirely new. i have already installed portals to my major points of effort/resources because those portals need to be where they are -- grid systems don't work for portals built into islands far from anything of interest (a description that captures both the new mob trap and my atoll).
True, but the Y coord is the only one I'm really concerned about. If we really had to (we doubtfully will, but still) we could get everything on the same level. If we wanted to.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-20, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Totally agreed. A grid system can be modified with leads to specific portals, though. Like I said, a combination of efficiency and necessity can be arrived at. Good signage will keep folks from getting [too] lost.

The previous system made almost zero sense to me, from a navigation standpoint.
Perhaps I should also describe the terrain of the nether: Spawn is slighting built into a vertical wall: to the south there is the potential for a fly over with nice views, but to the north, west, and east, it will be mostly tunneling though netherack. Far-ish north theres another nice view, an overlook happens to correspond to the mobtrap portal...
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-20, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
True, but the Y coord is the only one I'm really concerned about. If we really had to (we doubtfully will, but still) we could get everything on the same level. If we wanted to.
I was going to mention the y coordinate issue, but unless someone is above 128 in the overworld its ok....
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-20, 19:40

I would like to make a proposal, as I love designing and building transportation systems:

1) I propose a central system based on a grid
2) The grid will radiate out 250 blocks from spawn (at 250, another portal should be able to coexist at the halfway mark)
3) The grid's endpoints will be connected out to the corners, for a total of 9 portal locations
4) Someone who likes over world coordinate finding can tie the over world to the nether using exact coordinates (a variation of this is to use the nether coord. and just get close. If a portal exists in the Nether, the overworld portal will look for the closest Nether portal, right? So, if the Nether portal is located and activated, but not used, the overworld portal should locate it?)
5) Anyone who wants to locate their own portal can do so and either tie in to the system with an appropriately marked intersection, or find their own way back to spawn
6) The grid does not necessarily have to go in a straight line (although that is the most efficient means) and can move up, down, left or right to find a nice view for 709
7) Torches will be laid on the right away from the hub, on the left toward.
8) Glowstone will light all intersections from above
9) Cobble will be used for floors, ceilings and walls against netherack, glass for all exposed walls (709 likes to look at the flowers)
10) For those who prefer to build structures up top, I will do the work; for those who like this sort of thing, I welcome the help

I collected a ton of materials prior to the 1.7 upgrade with this idea in mind, so I have the stuff (and the time, usually, except when a customer walks in and I have to abandon Bobsky in a fortress with no warning ; but he's a suicidal maniac, so it doesn't really matter, right?)

All other portals can be accommodated. The central system isn't about forcing everyone to conform to a particular system. It is only about creating short travel distances to far-off places, with the ability for others to "plug in" where and when they want. A "plug-in" would require nothing more than a Glowstone-lit intersection and an appropriate sign. For private "plug-ins", the owner can light his path the way he chooses, wander where he wants, protect or not protect his road. Only the central system would conform to any "standards" as I noted above.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-21, 12:39

I have updated the archive yet again! Here are the new ones for the archive list:
So here we added the Pre-tekkit world and Biomeapalooza's first attempt. You can see how massive the world expansion was on this too. It seems the fixing that BB and I did actually got through the error that was causing the map gen issues. It's currently uploading right now, but I wanted to make it available ASAP since it actually ran. FYI, it took 2 full days to create these maps for Biomeapalooza and is over 18GB in size.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2013-12-21 at 13:10.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-24, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I would ask everyone, though, to please don't go hiking away for thousands or tens of thousands of blocks in the name of exploration.
Uh... *ahem*

SpecMode?
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-12-24, 01:35

Erm...whoops?

Sorry about that; I must've missed that post somehow. I'll /back myself to spawn (hopefully) and you can wipe that all out.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-24, 10:55

So,

Specmode + Adventurous Spirit = Giant Letter J