Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone X
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2017-09-12, 13:44

Or, as Tim put it, "setting the way forward for the next 10 years", or "the biggest leap forward from the original iPhone".
  • Has the all-glass front and back of the iPhone 8
  • 2 finishes of space grey and silver
  • 5.8" diagonal, "Super Retina Display" at 2436x1125 resolution (458ppi), OLED
  • claims great brightness, wide color support and accuracy, great contrast
  • Home button is gone, does have the dip down at the top. Tap the screen to wake, or Raise to Wake. up-swipe to get control center, get to the new multitask app switching.
  • There is in fact FaceID facial recognition unlock. They've trained it to recognize you if there's a hat on, or glasses, or a haircut.
  • The neural engine has specialized HW for machine learning algorithms. I don't have the tech ability to understand this.
  • animated emojis and using a face scan of you to add your own emotions to emojis and then send video/audio loops
  • The cameras are 12MP dual cameras with greater apertures (same as iPhone 8?)
  • Same chips (A11 and wifi) as iPhone 8, same Qi charging.
  • 2 hours more battery than the iPhone 7.
  • Pre-order Oct 27 and arrives Nov 3
  • From $999, 64 and 256GB

Supposedly they worked with Hollywood makeup artists to make sure that masks can't fool FaceID, or photographs. I said it on twitter, but I'm concerned about the cops using this to make you look at your phone to unlock it...given the debate over TouchID vs passcodes that they've been involved in...

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-09-12, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
… but I'm concerned about the cops using this to make you look at your phone to unlock it...given the debate over TouchID vs passcodes that they've been involved in...
If you're generally concerned with this, turn your phone off. When it is powered back on it will immediately require a passcode, and Face ID (like Touch ID before it) will be inoperable.

But, yes, there are implications, however no worse than a cop making you place your finger on Touch ID .

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-12, 14:17

Well, for the FaceID to work you have to look at the phone, just don't look. I'm sure there is a "cop" button like there is on iOS 11 for the TouchID.

I like a lot of the upgrades and improvements on this phone as expected. Thing is, I don't want a "plus" sized phone. I'm thinking of dropping down to a SE still. I hope it got a quiet upgrade out of this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dr. Bobsky

2017-09-12, 14:59

Its been known for a while that masks/photos lack the color change associated with pumping blood. Presumably this means you cannot use a corpse either.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2017-09-12, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Thing is, I don't want a "plus" sized phone. I'm thinking of dropping down to a SE still. I hope it got a quiet upgrade out of this.
I love my SE! I don't think it was updated today, but maybe around the end of the year or next year?
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-09-12, 18:09

Imma riot if the display is pentile.
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-09-12, 21:16

Oh well

https://twitter.com/nebwaka/status/907782768427487233
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-09-13, 02:24

I mean, the problem with early PenTile was the overall pixel density, and in particular 'lying' or at least being misleading about the resulting resolution. On top of that, with OLED, there's the general problem of long-term color accuracy degradation.

The first will have become far less relevant, since the pixel density is rather high. The second? We'll see.
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-09-13, 03:39

Also Apple needs to just follow everyone else's lead and pin the Home and other contextual software buttons to the bottom bumper. It's free unused space in most apps and there's no elegant way to deal with the sensor/camera module on the top bumper either.

Putting a Home "gash" in the middle of an app's displayed area in landscape mode is pretty silly.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-09-13, 06:14

No way around it, that’s a lot of money for a phone.

Looks amazing but very hard to justify the expensive. I’m also curious what this does to the upgrade cycle, this phone isn’t even available until November. Will Apple really update it next September?
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2017-09-13, 13:42

Quote:
Well, for the FaceID to work you have to look at the phone, just don't look. I'm sure there is a "cop" button like there is on iOS 11 for the TouchID.

I like a lot of the upgrades and improvements on this phone as expected. Thing is, I don't want a "plus" sized phone. I'm thinking of dropping down to a SE still. I hope it got a quiet upgrade out of this.

I'm with you. Still using my SE -- it's the perfect size for me. The iPhone X seems like a compromise. They reportedly could not get TouchID to work under the display, which fueled the design choice to use FaceID instead and FaceID requires that ugly 'notch' at the top of the screen. It's not, really, just a screen on the front of the phone.

From the amount of times they overstated this point in the keynote, it really strikes me as something they were desperately striving to achieve for the iPhone X but ultimately were unable to.

Last edited by MBHockey : 2017-09-13 at 14:33.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-09-13, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I’m also curious what this does to the upgrade cycle, this phone isn’t even available until November. Will Apple really update it next September?
Maybe next year will see the iPhone 9 (succeeding the 8), with no major changes to the X, and then the year after, it'll have caught up, with the X and the X Plus.
chucker

2017-09-13, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
FaceID requires that ugly 'notch' at the top of the screen
You would have some kind of notch, or a line, or whatever, in any case, unless you manage to bring the camera and other sensors into the display. (Which would probably lead to other compromises.)
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2017-09-13, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You would have some kind of notch, or a line, or whatever, in any case, unless you manage to bring the camera and other sensors into the display. (Which would probably lead to other compromises.)
Good point! It makes me feel better about the X
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-09-14, 06:34

Quote:
eh? Seriously? Did I miss that news?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-14, 09:29

Cop button, press the power button 5 times fast.
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-09-18, 22:26

Or just squeeze it as you hand it over.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-19, 10:40

Guess that's only for the iPhone X. I just tried squeezing my 7 and it's not blocking TouchID. Not a shock, but there should be one method for the iOS version not by phone model.

Edit: Looks like iPhone 8 and above will be the squeeze method.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2017-09-19 at 12:40.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2017-10-27, 02:08

Wasn't able to get the Apple Store web page or the App to load. Got right on via Verizon Wireless web page and pre-ordered a 256gb Space Gray iPhone X with no issues. Delivery date November 3rd! Boom. Easiest pre-order to-date for me.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2017-10-27, 02:27

Delivery Date November 3 for 256GB Space Grey
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2017-10-27, 02:35

It's pretty weird to think that Apple will likely generate $4 Billion of revenue in a single hour.... between 3 and 4AM Eastern time.

Unbelievable.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-10-27, 04:13

The Apple store app loaded right up for me. 256gb silver iPhone X. Can’t wait to have a white iPhone again.

Wife had issues but eventually were able to get through on AT&T 45 mins later and got her the same thing.

Both delivered next Friday.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2017-11-03, 08:42

I can't remember what I did last year, but do you still have to call into your carrier (Verizon) to activate your phone? I remember having issues because aside from my cell phone at home, I don't have another phone. Trying to figure out if I need to do it at work today or not.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Quagmire
meh

2017-11-03, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I can't remember what I did last year, but do you still have to call into your carrier (Verizon) to activate your phone? I remember having issues because aside from my cell phone at home, I don't have another phone. Trying to figure out if I need to do it at work today or not.
Yeah I had to call Verizon last year to activate my 7 Plus, but did not have to with my X( which I do appreciate, improves the experience IMHO). But the servers took a pounding and it took about 20-30 minutes to activate.

Anyway first impressions:

- Wow the screen is amazing. Colors are nice and vibrant, but still natural looking. It also helps the whole front end is screen now. Rented Wonder Woman and it looks stunning on it( never seen it yet and figured would knock out two birds with one stone in testing out the HDR capability).

-Glad I am off cycle sort of speak right now because the screen size/form factor ratio is very good. It's nice to have a screen similar in size to the Plus in the form factor of the 8. Going to see how it is to live with in every day life to lose the Plus's screen width. If Apple does an X Plus of speak next year, would definitely want to look in the store first. With my upgrade shifted to November, will be able to do that now. But I may also take the loan through the upgrade program to maturity and go back to my every 2 year upgrade. Haven't decided yet.

-Face ID works really well. Yeah it's going to have its own failure points like Touch ID did, but it does a very good job of unlocking the phone on the first try and in a in between speed of 1st gen Touch ID and 2nd gen Touch ID.

- It sucks phones are getting more expensive to repair/replace because I love the homage to the iPhone 4 in a modernized design. I consider the 4 era to be the peak of the iPhone design. But due to the high cost of repairing the X( even with AppleCare+), going to have to hide the gorgeous design in the Apple leather case. But I would really want to run this thing naked. A much welcome change from the iPhone 6 form factors we have seen since from Apple. Hope Apple realizes this is a big part that drives upgrades. Not camera, CPU, etc bumps. Sticking to the 6 form factor for so long definitely hurts them. Hoping the 8/8 Plus is the last of the 6's form factor.

Took out my original iPhone for a 10 year celebration for iPhone.

https://i.imgur.com/D35oXWy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SJSg0hE.jpg

giggity
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2017-11-03, 18:41

I actually had to call for Verizon which was rather annoying. Was able to do it from my 7 Plus. It was all automated though. When it finished and activated my X the phone call disconnected on my 7 Plus. Glad I was able to do it from the old phone as I don’t have any other lines here.
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-11-04, 10:13

Still available at nearly every Apple Store.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2017-11-04, 14:32

Initial impressions.... best iPhone release since the iPhone 5 in my opinion, and possibly the most significant overall since the original iPhone.

After using it for just an hour and setting it up side by side with my 7 the 7 and it’s design and screen seem primitive in comparison.

I would love to see a iPhone X mini. Something SE size but with no bezels. I think that would be my ideal phone. But as it is, this size is pretty great. My one wish is that it supported iPhone plus page layouts. It’s really just a blown up or elongated iPhone 7 interface due to the aspect ratio.

Face ID works very well but I do miss Touch ID at times, especially at a distance, or at angles or while laying in bed or trying to sneak a peak at notifications after pulling my phone out of my pocket. But in many use cases Face ID seems far superior and natural. So I guess it balances out.

Swipe for home button seems like it should have been standard years ago. Especially in connection with the app switcher.

The screen is gorgeous but I am finding True Tone to really have a warm white balance/color temp that I don’t particularly like. It only improves if I crank the brightness up. I think it’s doing what it should as my house has incandescent lighting and it’s overcast today but I think many people would do think it lacks color saturation if they didn’t know what it was doing and why.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-11-04, 15:07

More than a little disappointed with FaceID. It’s pretty slow, which is noticeable when you’re opening apps that were previously authenticated with TouchID. But it is reliable: I regularly wear three different pairs of glasses (one pair being prescription sunglasses) and often go in contacts - after just a few training “passcode needed” authorizations it never fails anymore.

Screen is gorgeous, if you don’t mind the blue shift. Notch is a non issue for me - this screen is huge!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-11-04, 15:29

Also, is the battery percentage indicator gone? Or am I missing it somewhere.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-04, 18:02

I was reading about the battery indicator, you find it with the control panel now if I read right.