AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Watches with exciting design

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Watches with exciting design
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-06-19, 18:36

Yeah, regardless of brand, I thought the concept was clever.

In terms of watch size - I think it's interesting how fashions go in and out of vogue.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-06-19, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Yeah, regardless of brand, I thought the concept was clever.

In terms of watch size - I think it's interesting how fashions go in and out of vogue.
I really like the ad. It's very clever and actually pretty useful for people unsure about the size. Of course, 99.9% of people who ride buses wouldn't be able to afford an IWC but...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2012-08-06, 21:34

Anyone have any opinons on Orient watches? I'm thinking about buying a decent watch and I like the look of a few of their models, specifically the Cosmos:

Better/bigger photo here.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-06, 22:02

I have an Orient and loved it. I don't wear watches at all now, but I did love that one while I wore it, and still do actually. Mine was titanium and had a solar face. Here's a quick picture of the one I have:

Forgive it's condition, I got it in Dubai UAE back in the summer of 1998. Salt Life was not good to it. It's not functional at this time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2012-08-06 at 22:28.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2012-08-06, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I have an Orient and loved it. I don't wear watches at all now, but I did loved that one while I wore it, and still do actually. Mine was titanium and had a solar face. Here's a quick picture of the one I have:

Forgive it's condition, I got it in Dubai UAE back in the summer of 1998. Salt Life was not good to it. It's not functional at this time.
Glad to hear it! Certainly is interesting to see how the aesthetics have changed in the over the decade between those two.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-08-06, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Anyone have any opinons on Orient watches? I'm thinking about buying a decent watch and I like the look of a few of their models, specifically the Cosmos:

Better/bigger photo here.
Orient has a very good rep aside from the strange logo.

You might also want to check out some of Citizen's watches. They are quite nice in that price range.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2012-08-06, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Orient has a very good rep aside from the strange logo.

You might also want to check out some of Citizen's watches. They are quite nice in that price range.
I looked at some Citizen's at Macy's today but none of them really caught my eye. I'll take a look online though. I'm trying to keep this purchase <$200 FWIW.
gsxrboy

2012-08-07, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
It's a Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde silver: manual-wind, simple, legible, beautiful, high-quality, unostentatious (except the display back, perhaps), can be dressed up or down. Exactly my style. I love it!
Just lovely!

Just today I was looking online at the KS41 and thought that'd be just dandy, but as yet I just cant decide on what I want!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2012-08-22, 00:41

And it's here!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-08-22, 07:49

Quote:
And it's here!

Looks great, Ryan! Careful you don't get the watch bug. I've been bitten and it's not good. Not as bad as this guy Wow.

Last edited by torifile : 2012-08-22 at 07:59.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-08-22, 08:35

I've had my eye on this very crazy awesome interesting watch for going on 90 minutes.

Thoughts?

Ryan
Veteran Member

2012-08-22, 09:10

Quote:
Looks great, Ryan! Careful you don't get the watch bug. I've been bitten and it's not good. Not as bad as this guy Wow.
I... I don't know what to say.

I've got some slightly obsessive hobbies but this guy makes me look damn amateur.

I bought this watch because I've lost a lot of weight over the last few years and I'm now starting my first post-college job. Fortunately these sort of happened at the same time so it's a great opportunity for me to up my style a bit. I'm using part of my signing bonus to refresh my wardrobe and pick up a few nice accessories like this one. One good watch is all I need.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-22, 09:25

Quote:
Yikes! I can't even imagine. I think I've only owned about four watches my entire life (including my plastic Spider-Man one, my first, when I was in kindergarten...the others were $20 Timex or Coleman ones from Target, but I've not worn one in well over a decade). I have a ways to go to catch up to that guy.

I can't imagine owning 400+ of anything!

Me and "time" kinda have an understanding, and a love/hate thing going...I don't bother it, it doesn't bother me.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-08-22, 14:41

Quote:
And it's here!

Congrats Ryan - looks great and well deserved too!

Wear it in good health.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2012-08-23, 00:41

If anyone's interested here are two pics of the "gift" watch Orient includes:

Ignore my foot.

Given that it's a freebie I really can't complain. It's on the same level as any $14 watch from Target. Face is all plastic but it looks nice. I'll probably keep it around as a backup or for times when I don't want to wear an expensive watch.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2012-09-11, 06:02

Devon Tread 1
Quote:
Not all wristwatches are created equal. That said, most top-end timepieces look remarkably similar and utilise virtually identical tick tock technology – annoying when you’ve just remortgaged your yacht to buy the latest model. Enter, with a shriek of ‘WTF?’, the forehead-slappingly radical Devon Tread 1 Watch.

Unlike any other watch you’ve seen, this mechanical masterpiece uses 4 compact microstep motors to power a series of exposed glass-nylon belts that adjust the time and date. Mesmerising? It’s like staring into a modern art installation of interwoven, perpetually moving conveyor belts. The fact that it tells the time is almost incidental.

... Continues ...

Insane. But way cool WANT ... if I win the lotto.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-09-11, 15:44

What a feat of design! Great find 'burbs.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-09-11, 17:20

It's a cool idea. Unwearably ugly, mind.
gsxrboy

2013-01-20, 21:34

If you have an investment house you want to sell to buy a new watch, this one might be just the ticket.

http://blog.perpetuelle.com/watches/...6hz-sihh-2013/
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2013-03-10, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Cheers. She certainly did! However, there was a four-month waiting list for the model she got me.

Here's a couple of photos. I can light things better than this, but only if I have literally a couple of hours to futz around with light modifiers and polarising filters. If I ever do that, I'll be sure to show off in this thread.
Glad to hear (a year late) that your girl got you the Stowa, Dorian Gray! It's simply gorgeous, in its relative simplicity!

After buying the cheap Citizen, and then the Torgoen with the giant carbon fiber dial a few months later, I found myself going back to and wearing my trusty old Omega Seamaster more than ever. I felt bad for years after buying the Omega on impulse during a long layover at London's Heathrow. But it's turned out to be one of my favorite purchases of all time.

It's fun to re-read this thread and realize that I agonized over buying a new watch for absolutely no good reason. Ah, the beauty of consumer society! Maybe I should divest of my worldly possessions and become a hermit instead.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-03-11, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
Glad to hear (a year late) that your girl got you the Stowa, Dorian Gray! It's simply gorgeous, in its relative simplicity!
Isn’t it? I love it. Every morning when I wind it up I think about the importance of doing something useful with my next 24 hours. Then I sit back with my coffee and open another browser tab.

Quote:
After buying the cheap Citizen, and then the Torgoen with the giant carbon fiber dial a few months later, I found myself going back to and wearing my trusty old Omega Seamaster more than ever. I felt bad for years after buying the Omega on impulse during a long layover at London's Heathrow. But it's turned out to be one of my favorite purchases of all time.
An Omega Seamaster is a very special watch. Good enough for a prince! Though his brother prefers a Rolex.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-03-22, 14:54

There’s a seller on eBay called pete_eye who lists stuff that is very nearly irresistible to me, including German timepieces, Italian typewriters, and American art/design/fashion publications. In particular, he regularly sells pristine examples of the classic Junghans three-dial stopwatch from the sixties or seventies. Here’s a recent example. (Scroll down for photos.)

Have you ever in your life seen such a beautiful thing? And because it’s not one of Max Bill’s designs, it’s relatively affordable too (less than $200). Here’s one running.

I must have one of these to time something.

One of my earliest memories is playing with my dad’s Junghans watch while he held me in his arms, aged about four. My dad never had much money, but he had (and has) good taste for a guy from a mill town. By taste I mean the Oxford English Dictionary definition: the ability to discern what is of good quality.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2013-03-22, 16:01

That is beautiful. Treat yourself DG - you deserve it.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2013-04-11, 09:27

Not exciting per se, but given the discussion around Pilot's watches a while back I thought some may appreciate this.

Collection of Pilot's watches from a forum I visit...
Quote:
With an example of each of the five B-Uhr watches in my workshop at the same time I could not resist taking this pic. of the 'Filthy Five'

Top left - Lange & Söhne
Top right - Laco
Centre - IWC
Bottom left - Wempe
Bottom right - Stowa

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2013-04-11, 14:43

Thank you for sharing this, Mac+!

It's amazing how much those five look alike. Without researching the question, I assume that IWC in the middle is by far the most pricey of the lot.

On a related note, I added the Torgoen T05303 (currently $209) back to my Amazon shopping cart. This even though I dislike the dead-flat and thus blindingly reflective crystal on its larger, carbon-faced sibling the Torgoen T10105 (currently $175), which I bought last year, but wear only rarely due to its giant size.

Carbon look T10105 on left. Stealth T05303 on right.

PS: On a related note, any thoughts on Swatch's recent efforts to reduce the sale of movements to its competitors?

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-04-11, 15:28

Interesting, Mac+. They are indeed grubby, though. That IWC has an extraordinary crown, made to seem even larger by the relatively small dials of those old watches.

Quote:
PS: On a related note, any thoughts on Swatch's recent efforts to reduce the sale of movements to its competitors?
I read about this in the news, but I haven’t seen any analysis of what it means for the industry. Presumably prices will rise due to duplication of R&D efforts, and because the smaller brands will scramble to buy movements from any non-Swatch entity they can find in the yellow pages?
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2013-04-12, 16:37

Haven't read any analysis either, DG.

My suspicion is that a number of small watchmakers will no longer be profitable and may go belly-up if they can't buy movements from Swatch. That will reduce our choice of beautiful and mechanically respectable watches. My hope is that those small manufacturers who now depend on Swatch will band together to jointly develop new movements and share costs. That could give Swatch some serious competition!

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2013-05-19, 19:18

Fascinating WIRED story about one of the greatest watches ever made and its adventures.

44 years to create... originally designed for Marie Antoinette...
effectively priceless (now insured for $30 Million)... stolen, recovered, etc.

Quite the tale of intrigue... and a pretty sweet watch, too
What made Breguet’s work so significant was his skill as both a watchmaker and a designer. His creations have pristine faces, delicate hands that end in apple-shaped tips, and movements that appear as complex as a computer circuit. The Queen was at once immensely complicated—it had all the features of a cathedral clock in the space of a pocket watch—and beguilingly elegant. Breguet even made a clear crystal face that allowed the owner to see the movement of the gears underneath.

Breguet cased the Queen in gold. It featured a full perpetual calendar, a jumping hour hand that flicked from hour to hour instead of slowly rotating around the face, and an independent second hand that could be stopped or started at will. The watch even contained a metallic thermometer and a mechanism that chimed the time. Sapphires were used to reduce friction.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2013-05-19 at 19:30.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2018-06-04, 06:48

A five year bump. I’ve been taken lately with NOMOS but they are too fragile for my needs. Lately, I’ve been interested in divers. I spent the most I’ve ever spent on a watch getting the iconic Submariner. Yeah yeah. It’s a Rolex but it’s really quite fantastic as a time piece.

I’ve got a Squale 1521 en route. I’ll post pics when it arrives.

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2018-06-04, 08:50

Good bump, Torifile!

Submariner is indeed iconic. Nothing wrong with it.

If I were to get a Rolex, I'd go for the timeless GMT Master or the nerdy Milgauss. But the truth is that I'm a modest guy, and too cheap to spend that kind of money on a watch. Maybe after I put the kids through college...

My Omega Seamaster is still ticking, although I don't wear it very regularly. Batteries on the above mentioned Torgoen "fashion" watches died, and I haven't bothered to replace them. If I wear a watch these days, it's a 1st gen Apple Watch, which I received as a gift against my will, after deciding that I really didn't need another "smart" thing to suck up my time.