User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc 2018
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-04, 11:36

So no one has started a thread about this yet. At this point the keynote is today so not much for rumors. I'm reading they aren't expecting any new hardware, just software topics.

Looking at the invite it looks like they might move away from "flat world" and add some depth and texture back to the software. I really hope that is the case, I don't live in a flat world.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-06-04, 11:48

I'm still hoping for something (even just a passing mention) regarding the MBP. I can understand if Coffee Lake isn't exciting enough for a WWDC mention (although 50% more cores is nothing to sneeze at), but something has to happen regarding the keyboard.

But yeah, this'll likely be quite software-focused.

Please give us more geofenced settings. Different notifications depending on whether I'm at home or at work. Stronger password rules while I'm on the go. Automatically connect to my home VPN as soon as I leave home. That sort of stuff.

And default apps.

And less bugginess in Continuity, especially on the Mac.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-04, 11:52

I would love to have an auto-connecting VPN setting. That would be so awesome if that would get integrated into the OS somehow. Both iOS and macOS for that matter. It is a real pain having to manually do it and I end up forgetting to do it. Now I just about never use a public hotspot just so I'm not someone's sheep.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-04, 12:04

Ok, this intro video is actually funny.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2018-06-04, 13:33

God I’ve forgotten how much I hate the tone of the Verge’s event coverage. So freaking juvenile. When are they going to grow up?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-04, 13:36

What's really funny is that my wife made the exact same comment to me today when he was speaking!

Edit: Never mind, I misread what you posted.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-04, 13:40

Dark mode is finally going to be real. That's nice.

Nothing else has really stood out to me as must have features from this keynote.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-06-04, 14:21

The end tribute to developers was nice. But no hardware at all?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-04, 14:46

Watch bands...I mean...they are hardware. Actually they are soft...but at least something physical if you're into Pride that is.

There were enough rumors to suggest no hardware so I wasn't shocked. I was however really shocked that it went on for as long as it did. Some of the presented items were really cool, others just kinda meh.

I hope the improved features for continuity work as well as I would expect.

AR is cool but just nothing that makes me want to drop money on something.

UIKit working with Mojave is pretty nice though. It will be nice to see some of these apps make their way to macOS as developers move forward with that.

The hardest part for me now is to not install the dev preview on anything I own. Everything I have right now is a production machine that I just can't handle dealing with the bugs that come with preview.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-06-04, 17:53

I seriously forgot it was even today. I'm so use to the past when they were always on Tuesdays.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-06-04, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Dark mode is finally going to be real. That's nice.

Nothing else has really stood out to me as must have features from this keynote.
The one thing that concerns me about Dark Mode is the effect on eyestrain. Aren't these darker modes supposed to be bad for the eyes?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2018-06-04, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I seriously forgot it was even today. I'm so use to the past when they were always on Tuesdays.
Same here, I only remembered because my boss asked me to watch it and report on anything that would be relevant to our jobs.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-06-05, 05:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
The one thing that concerns me about Dark Mode is the effect on eyestrain. Aren't these darker modes supposed to be bad for the eyes?
i sure thought so, but maybe it's best for people working in dark spaces? It's become awfully popular.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-06-05, 05:26

The keynote was a mixed bag for me.

During the Memoji presentation I grew restive, and rolled my eyes a few times before remembering that the event was for developers.

Ultimately it seems a logical progression for all platforms.

I really dug that wide screen on the stage!!! Steve would have loved it.

When Craig Federighi took the stage I was all like "That's the guy who called me a troll on Twitter!"

The AR Lego game looks like fun for the kids, but better suited for goggles.

I'm glad that News is coming to the desktop. Stocks looks very useful. I'll unhide the app when 12 rolls out.

The metadata and customization enhancements to Finder seem very useful, I'm looking forward to using them.

The focus on tidying the underpinnings of iOS may not be sexy for press, but it will be appreciated as our hardware ages. If the 5s is still supported then my 7+ stands the chance to run another 5 or so years!!!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-06-05, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm still hoping for something (even just a passing mention) regarding the MBP. I can understand if Coffee Lake isn't exciting enough for a WWDC mention (although 50% more cores is nothing to sneeze at), but something has to happen regarding the keyboard.
I don't think there will be a laptop (or any hardware) update until the fall. As for the keyboard, you are stuck with it until the Touch Bar-style virtual keyboard with haptic feedback is released in 3 or 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Ok, this intro video is actually funny.
I laughed myself silly. Very clever. Developus Tritorapsis.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-06-05, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I don't think there will be a laptop (or any hardware) update until the fall. As for the keyboard, you are stuck with it until the Touch Bar-style virtual keyboard with haptic feedback is released in 3 or 4 years.
I hope (and some signs are looking good) Mojave will be a bit faster then. Not quite sure which piece(s) of the puzzle are to blame, but somewhere between macOS, APFS, VMware Fusion and recent Windows 10 releases, things have gotten a lot more… erratic? Networking in the VM keeps randomly failing, and performance oscillates between fine and atrocious.

Other than that, my late-2013 rMBP is fine, and the new tbMBPs wouldn't offer more RAM anyway (although that doesn't tell the whole story — the RAM would go from 1600 MHz to 2133, and they've been beefing up the SSD speeds as well… this one doesn't even show up as NVMe).

But, but, that keyboard. Mixed reports, but very few rave reviews.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-06-06, 12:33

There's rarely a rave review when someone changes your keyboard. We are creatures of habit and muscle memory. The new thing takes some getting used to, but so did the "old" keyboard when it showed up with the 2006 MacBooks. It was "terrible" when compared to the [even] older aluminum MBP keyboard—until it was forced upon us with the 2008 MB Pro releases. Now, that keyboard is "the best one ever!" and the new one is … terrible!

We've sold hundreds of these things, and so far I have only had one major complaint and two or three minor ones. Otherwise, I haven't heard anything bad from our customers. Plenty of negative reviews online, but that represents the culmination of all the negative people on earth, rather than the greater collective of positive people who generally don't express their good experiences on rant sites.

Of note: We do see more keyboard issues in service, but have only had to replace a couple of them. The rest have only needed a blast of air to solve the problem. Yes, cookie crumbs are more problematic when the key tolerances are smaller. Imagine that!

Of note 2: The new (future) Touch Bar keyboard will be nothing more than a large glass panel with no place for crumbs. Still, methinks the same people will still complain because DIFFERENT!

Of note 3: My dad grew up with a mechanical typewriter, and complained lots that Apple II keyboards didn't feel as positive. Moral of the story: The keyboard you have today will never be as good as the one you remember from the glory days. That's human nature.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2018-06-06, 12:39

Funny enough, I got an Apple TV 4K a few weeks ago. Then, on Monday, I happened to remember the WWDC keynote. So I downloaded the Apple Events app, and watched part of the keynote live on the big screen. Thought that was pretty cool.

In terms of announcements, I was relieved to see improved parental controls coming to iOS (both iPad and iPhone). These days, getting and keeping my kids off their electronic devices is a major PITA. Between Xbox, iPads, iPhones, and MacBooks (most handed down from me), it's virtually impossible to keep a lid on it. Argh!

All the other incremental fixes and upgrades sounded nice enough, too. I look forward to updating all my compatible devices in the Fall.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-06, 13:24

I'm mildly annoyed that in order to install Mojave on a system I have to have something existing on it (High Sierra, Sierra etc.) so I can do the profile. I didn't find the link to the full ISO. Am I wrong and just missed it?

I'm going to put it in a VM to play with since I can't have my main systems unstable.

chucker

2018-06-06, 17:16

No ISO, but you should be able to download the installer and pass that to VMware.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-06, 22:00

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2018-06-07, 13:11

I was disappointed that there was no hardware, but really not at all surprised or upset at Apple. It makes sense. In fact, if they had new hardware ready to release about now, I would expect them to milk it more with a special event just for that.

As for what was in the keynote, all Tim had to do was come up on stage and say "Dark Mode in 10.14. Have a nice WWDC everybody!" and I would have been totally satisfied, so I found it all pretty great.

Ugh.

Last edited by spotcatbug : 2018-06-07 at 13:23.
chucker

2018-06-08, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
In fact, if they had new hardware ready to release about now, I would expect them to milk it more with a special event just for that.
Eh. They had John Ternus up at WWDC 2017 to show Kaby Lake MacBook Pros less than a year after the Skylake ones. Which was pretty unnecessary, since it was pretty much just a speedbump. Maybe it was filler; maybe it was an opportunity to show that Ternus is the new Mac hardware head; maybe it was a way to emphasize that MacBook Pro updates will be more frequent again.

Which I guess they won't be? They need to bring it to Coffee Lake pretty soon if they don't want to leave the impression that they've gotten bored again.

Not complaining about dub-dub, mind you; it wasn't all the things I wanted, but it was plenty of good stuff. Just worried that we won't see Mac hardware changes until October: September will already be packed with the iPhone and Watch, and possibly the iPad, and before that would be unusual scheduling for Apple.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-06-09, 20:07

Apple has also traditionally released hardware updates during the first week of August.