User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Indie/up-and-coming artists on iTunes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Indie/up-and-coming artists on iTunes
tinker

2005-04-20, 11:05

iTunes is a fantastic idea, and it seems to be working very well. I have one problem with it though -- Not enough of a selection. Now, I know there are certain artists (such as Radiohead and the Beatles) that aren't there for some special reason...but what about indie artists and up-and-coming artists...As for the latter, they do get to iTunes eventually, but only once there is a "market" for them, it seems.

But why doesn't Apple make it easier for an artist's work to get distributed on iTunes? We all know what a rough time of it artists can have starting out, and what a serious problem it is in the industry -- Bands/artists with potential never make it because their first album didn't sell so well. iTunes seems like such an easy, low-cost solution to that.

I'd like your thoughts on this and any other related issues with regards to the inner workings of iTunes and their relationship with artists and labels....Thanks.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-20, 12:29

I think artists can get their music on iTunes through CDBaby.
tinycat

2005-04-21, 16:10

artists can, indeed, get on itunes via cdbaby. though i believe there is much of a process. just because you go through cdbaby does not mean you will find your tracks on itunes.

i am on a very small label and i fit under the category of indie/up-and-coming. i have my first album on itunes, and before that i had tracks from a compilation up. my second album should also be up there once it is released in the fall.

so there is some hope for people on small labels who don't do mainstream/pop music
donniedarko

2005-04-21, 20:05

ditto for me. it shows up on soundscan too which is pretty cool.
dougiemac

2005-04-22, 16:03

Can somebody provide some more info on CDBaby. What it is and where to get it?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-22, 17:52

www.cdbaby.com
donniedarko

2005-04-22, 17:55

The label I am on deals with iTunes directly so I don't know what their deal is exactly but I just googled them and it came up cd baby. Im guessing they get your songs on iTunes or into stores for a fee.... BOO. Anyway, do you use Google? it's pretty awesome...

*G4 PB 15"*1.67*2GB*100GHD*128VRAM*