User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

File association to app was screwed.. what do you think?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
File association to app was screwed.. what do you think?
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-09-17, 05:10

Haha. I was dumbfounded with a file association problem just now but I managed to make it go away. It'd be nice to hear if you guys can figure out why things happened as they did...

I was about to start reading comics, and started up Jomic the java comic reader. I thought it a bit silly that I couldn't open a file in it by just doubleclicking on them in the Finder - when I did that the app opened just like I had started just the app from its own icon. So I set out to upgrade.

A download later I dragged old Jomic in Trash, new Jomic went in Applications. Then I took Tools->Get Info from Finder as usual, targeting one of the .cbz files. Changed default app to the new Jomic in the Apps folder. Told it to change all files of the same type. Got an error number box, and my choice of default app was cleared to "unset" or some such. Otherwise there was no difference, .cbz file kept on opening in FFView which I believe was associated with all remotely picture-like file endings. I repeated this two times to be sure.

I thought this would have something to do with the weird creator type system for sure. Then it occurred to me that just maybe the old Jomic in the Trash could be interfering. I emptied Trash, tried associating files to the new Jomic again and boom, it worked perfectly.

Why was OS X still trying to use the old Jomic in the trash, and not the new Jomic in Apps folder? I know file associations stay as files move around, but I selected the app to use in "Get Info" dialog only *after* I put the new Jomic app in.