Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Quad config?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quad config?
gladh

2005-11-25, 10:41

Hi all....
New on the forum and new to Mac...so pls excuse if my questions is in some way naive.

I work as a professional photographer and have always used PC, for the moment with Adobes Photoshop Cs2 and Bridge.

Rawfiles from cameras (now 17MP and 20MB for me) getting bigger and my PC just doesnt deliver anymore even though i have one concidered to be very fast.

My goal is to speed up the workflow.
So my first Mac and Aperture is shipped and on its way. It is a Quad G5, 4GB ram and 2x500GB HD.

Im used to configure disks in Raid0 in pc, both Scsi and Sata.
When i ordered the Quad i was told it will be delivered non Raid and my first question is how to set it up to Raid 0.
I suppose i have to reinstall the OS after some configuration?
What is the best set up on this 1TB Raid0 volume?
Use it as 1 or 2 partitions for OS and storage?

My second question concerns backup to external FW800 disks.

In PC i used Nortons Ghost for mirror the system C: and OS on a regular basis and XP:s backup for backing up all my images.
Is there a good way in MacOS to back up both system and storage, with just changes made since last backup, to the external disk?

Anyone have some experience concerning this matters?

Best regards

Jerry Gladh
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-25, 10:58

Welcome to AppleNova!

Why have you chosen to use RAID 0? As I understand, RAID 0 offers few real benefits with the highest risk. There's no redundancy at all and if any of the drives fails, all of the data is useless.

Anyhow, to reformat the drives in a software RAID, you simply boot from the system install CD/DVD and choose to use Disk Utility. Select your drive, click the RAID tab, and configure it as you like. Yes, you will need to reinstall your software afterwards.

Most people here advise against using multiple partitions because most users invariably estimate the wrong size and at some point in the future will become frustrated with their self-imposed limitations.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-11-25, 11:32

I would think unless you needed all of that space, the safest thing to do would be set up a RAID 1 between the two disks, so you don't have to worry about backups.

I put my personal storage on a different disk because I wanted to run linux on my mac and I needed the space on my internal disk for linux, but otherwise there's no reason to partition. It just creates headaches.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think
gladh

2005-11-25, 11:58

Well...my reason for Raid0 is to get speed in open an save files.
I often works with for ex tiff files 50-500MB size and always done Raid0.

In XP i made a Ghost image of the system once a week and work backed up every day so i dont need the raid1 security.

thx for the replays

Jerry
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-11-25, 17:26

to make an image of the system on the mac use Carbon Copy Cloner