Too early for MWSF speculation?
Page 2 of 7 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-11-08, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
T-Mobile's market share in the US is very small (sorry for not linking--it's late and I'm getting ready to go to bed). They might work out a deal with T-Mobile for a contract discount, but I think an unlocked version is still the most viable. After all, Cingular is the largest carrier in the US.

If you want some numbers, I'll dig some up tomorrow, but I just don't see a T-Mobile exclusive in the cards (although a short-term one might not be bad--maybe something similar to the 6-month Cingular exclusive rumor we saw).
Oh yeah - I'm sure it wouldn't be exclusive forever (and even if it was, I'm sure it could be unlocked for you Cingy folks). And I know T-Mo isn't the largest carrier, but they've still netted some some notable exclusives (the PEBL, Sidekick, Trace, etc.). I just didn't know if you, like, hated T-Mo or something.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-09, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Oh yeah - I'm sure it wouldn't be exclusive forever (and even if it was, I'm sure it could be unlocked for you Cingy folks). And I know T-Mo isn't the largest carrier, but they've still netted some some notable exclusives (the PEBL, Sidekick, Trace, etc.). I just didn't know if you, like, hated T-Mo or something.
Oh, no, I've got nothing against them. They've made great strides in the past few years, and their customer service is excellent. When I was working at Radio Shack selling phones I did a lot of research into competing carriers that we didn't sell (I've sold Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint), and I basically concluded that I wished we could have T-Mobile as well. Their coverage isn't the best, which keeps me from having their service (my parents live in a podunk town that they don't cover well), but otherwise, I think they offer a great service.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
KittenXJ1

2006-11-09, 21:39

Hey guys, I'm planning to switch to a Mac for my next computer, which I'd like to do in the next month or so, but I'm thinking of holding off until MW07. I'm wondering if anyone would care to speculate on what updates to/completely new iMacs we could expect at MacWorld 07.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-11-09, 22:05

The iMacs were just upgraded to the Core 2 like six weeks ago. Now is a good time to buy. Why wait?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-11-09, 22:31

Do you all think Cinema Display updates will be at MWSF? Maybe iSight integration, or FrontRow (via the an IR receiver and remote or just the remote and it works with the bluetooth in your computer)? Also, do you all think that they might change the sizes of the cinema displays seeing as they have a 24" iMac and a 23" Cinema Display? It seems like it would be easier for them to just have 24" in both.
iDaver

2006-11-09, 22:42

I think (and hope) that new Cinema displays will be higher resolution, to take advantage of the resolution independence of Leopard. A few years ago, Apple's displays were pretty impressive in their specs but now everyone else has caught up. For a while, Apple was the only one with a 30" display. As of this month, there will be four 30" models available. It's time for Apple to spring ahead again with better, sharper displays.

Whether or not they'll be ready for MWSF, is the big question. I doubt it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-09, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Do you all think Cinema Display updates will be at MWSF? Maybe iSight integration, or FrontRow (via the an IR receiver and remote or just the remote and it works with the bluetooth in your computer)? Also, do you all think that they might change the sizes of the cinema displays seeing as they have a 24" iMac and a 23" Cinema Display? It seems like it would be easier for them to just have 24" in both.
I wouldn't be shocked by a 24" display, but I don't understand why everybody thinks an iSight will be integrated. I know that people with Mac Pros and minis want iSights too, but people with minis aren't buying Apple displays (because they buy the computer based on the low price--they can't buy Apple displays cheaply), and Apple has already shown that they don't think people with Mac Pros need Front Row (it sure wouldn't have been hard to include it with the MP).

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
defaultmike

2006-11-09, 23:56

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked by a 24" display, but I don't understand why everybody thinks an iSight will be integrated. I know that people with Mac Pros and minis want iSights too, but people with minis aren't buying Apple displays (because they buy the computer based on the low price--they can't buy Apple displays cheaply), and Apple has already shown that they don't think people with Mac Pros need Front Row (it sure wouldn't have been hard to include it with the MP).
Don't forget, Front Row will be standard on Leopard, which leads me to think that Apple will put some kind of Remote / IR sensor out so that Mac mini and MacPro users can enjoy some Front Row goodness

www.portfoliowork.blogspot.com
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz (coming mid-December) | iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz | iPod 5.5 80Gb | iPod 3G 20Gb
MagSafe

2006-11-10, 03:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultmike View Post
Don't forget, Front Row will be standard on Leopard, which leads me to think that Apple will put some kind of Remote / IR sensor out so that Mac mini and MacPro users can enjoy some Front Row goodness
Mac Mini users can use Front Row anyway though

That would be good to have Front Row standard though, I wouldn't mind using it on my iBook once in a while.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-11-13, 04:23

Stepping back to the iPhone/TMO discussion for a bit...while I'll agree that TMO US has made big strides in the past couple years, it should be noted that the vast majority of their network remains EDGE/GPRS, whilst other carriers have moved on to arguably superior 3G networks. I'd be willing to bet any iPhone will likely heavily rely on data connections for stuff like e-mail, messaging, multimedia streaming, etc...EDGE and particularly GPRS are not at all well-suited for that kind of use. T-Mobile is supposed to be rolling out their own 3G network soon; if there is any sort of behind-the-scenes deal going on between TMO and Apple, I wouldn't put it past them to make some sort of joint rollout announcement early next year.

Stranger things have happened.

Meanwhile, back to your regularly-scheduled multimedia Mac discussion already in progress...

Side-note: I could've sworn I had made some kind of pact with myself against posting in S&R...guess this was a side-effect of being up until 1:30 on a Monday morning. @_@

Last edited by SpecMode : 2006-11-13 at 04:33.
Gizzer

2006-11-13, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
Mac Mini users can use Front Row anyway though

That would be good to have Front Row standard though, I wouldn't mind using it on my iBook once in a while.
Yeah - I'm looking forward to using it on my iMac G5 & my Powerbook. I wish Apple would make the remote operate over Bluetooth rather than IR though, as that would allow virtually all oder Macs ustilise the full functionality of Front Row (ie from a distance)
Anthem

2006-11-13, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer View Post
Yeah - I'm looking forward to using it on my iMac G5 & my Powerbook. I wish Apple would make the remote operate over Bluetooth rather than IR though, as that would allow virtually all oder Macs ustilise the full functionality of Front Row (ie from a distance)
Or just sell a seperate bluetooth remote.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-13, 14:38

I think that, efficiency considerations aside (an IR chipset is simpler, cheaper and needs much less power), another rationale for Apple to use IR was its unidirectional nature. Bluetooth is typically omnidirectional, if I'm not mistaken.

Assume a desk with an iMac, a MacBook Pro and an iPod universal dock on it. That's three(!) receivers for one and the same remote. Based on where you point it to, you can select between the devices. This would be impossible with omnidirectional radio.

That said, Apple should/could easily just make an external USB IR receiver available.
washington mac user
can't read

2006-11-25, 23:38

I cant wait till MWSF!!!!! Even though people think the 6gen ipod will be touchscreen, i dont think it will happen. Touch screen cameras have been out for a while and they aren't getting good reviews because they are so hard to function. I actually was about to buy one but i messed around with it at Kits Cameras and it was really annoying having to click the screen, scroll to trash and click trash, then click delete picture and then click yes when it asks are you sure you want to delete this. With a non touch screen camera, there is usually a trash button on the side and all you have to do is click it when your on a picture and it asks you "are you sure you want to delete it?" and you click yes. Its easier to use and its faster to get what you want to do. I like the idea of having the ipod be full screen and you scroll down on the sides of the screen and then all the menu bottoms are on the bottom. I know people may disagree with me about touchscreen but i dont see it happening. They wouldn't abandon the click wheel for something that is harder to function. And yes I realize it will be different with an MP3 player rather than a camera but I'm just letting you everybody know what a touchscreen is like.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-26, 04:12

That could have used some paragraphs, but, meh.

Predictions for MWSF07

- Financial Results, Holiday sales of iPods
- Announce lowering price of Nano's, only by a bit.
- New iPod Video - Full screen, like the rumours. And touch. 60+100Gb.

-iTV- official lauch, shipping by the end of February. Full compatibility with XP, but better with Mac.
-iTunes AV (new name for 8) launched, but much larger emphasis on video, levelling it up with Music. Includes Full screen etc. Quicktime will still be available to download but this will take most of its basic roles.

-Macintosh. New MacBooks have sold brilliantly, blah. So have MBPs.
- Announcing the 12 inch MacBook Pro- ultra thin, all the same features of MBP. Shipping immediately.
-iMac- One major change - the bezel is half inch thinner round the whole screen, and the chin is smaller and more proportioned, as well as the whole thing being about a quarter thinner. Same price, available immediately.

-iLife 07- All the usual bits and bobs, lots of other crap like templates, yadeyada, lower price now - $39.99
-iWork 07 - Includes Spreadsheet App.

-Leapord - Tabbed finder, Res Independance, finder completely re-engineered, improved stability, and...the ability to have xp and osx running at the same time. (I don't know how thats gonna work!)
OSX.5 will ship sometime in April.

One more thing...
The iPhone.
Long rumoured, and taken a while to perfect, but here it is:
2MP camera, integration with iLife, Address Book, Sync. (iTunes AV has new features to support it) iChat integration, when near wireless hotspot, otherwise, normal phone. 4 gig and 8 gig model. About $150 more than the iPod Nano counterparts, size wise.

These will ship by the end of the month.
MagSafe

2006-11-26, 08:30

I think your asking for a bit much there tbh...

Probably something like:

Financial Results
Leopard Progress + Release Date

iTV Official Launch - Shipping Today

iWork
iLife

One More Thing: iPhone with PDA capabilities.

...everyone is let down by no iPod AV, yet again, however Apple are still working on it to release later on in the year.

Last edited by MagSafe : 2006-11-26 at 11:33.
Dave Hagan

2006-11-26, 10:17

I think it's time to split the iPod stuff away into its own show : iPod World.
MagSafe

2006-11-26, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan View Post
I think it's time to split the iPod stuff away into its own show : iPod World.
Yeah, good point, except there already is an iPod event held every year (where the new Shuffles & Nano's were released)

ok ... i've edited my above post

actually, to add to that as well, we'll probably see Ros from good ol' Microsoft having a chat about a Universal Binary of MS Office 2007 and possible integrations with Leopard.

wecallitfall

2006-11-28, 15:28

iWork '07
iLife '07

iTV

Some talk about Leopard

Oh, and thousands of broken hearted Mac-fans
Wraven

2006-11-28, 16:44

Entire Beatles Catalog, exclusive to the iTS.

Beatles iPod.

Beatles commercial.

Plus all the other expected Mac announcements (iTV, etc...).
chantman

2006-11-29, 14:37

iTV, iPod Video (Widescreen), iPhone, Leopard.... I'm going to blow my wad..... of cash.....
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-29, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven View Post
Entire Beatles Catalog, exclusive to the iTS.

Beatles iPod.

Beatles commercial.

Plus all the other expected Mac announcements (iTV, etc...).
The Beatles thing isn't going down. It was reported by DigiTimes. It might as well have been reported by The Onion.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-29, 14:47

Quote:
The Beatles thing isn't going down. It was reported by DigiTimes. It might as well have been reported by The Onion.
Wrong, it was reported by Fortune.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-29, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Wrong, it was reported by Fortune.
Oops. Must have been another story this week that I was thinking about.

[edit] Yep. It was the 17-inch ACD story. Sorry.
BFG

2006-11-29, 17:35

I think for most of us the some what week graphic capability of the mini is what holds it from being a extreamly acttractive offering. Should apple offer a mini with a GPU that provides some decent performance (and thus has its own RAM!) Then i would buy a new mini tommorow without a moments hesitation.

Alas i suspect we're rather a long way of seeing a graphicly meaty mini!

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-11-29, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven View Post
Beatles iPod.
Aw HELL no!
Rabbit

2006-11-29, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenXJ1 View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning to switch to a Mac for my next computer, which I'd like to do in the next month or so, but I'm thinking of holding off until MW07. I'm wondering if anyone would care to speculate on what updates to/completely new iMacs we could expect at MacWorld 07.
If you like the form factor of the iMac, then buy one. They were just recently updated and there's no need to update them again at MWSF. If you are thinking along the lines that you want to buy a Mac and you want to wait and see what they may debut at MWSF, then wait the 2 months.
Anthem

2006-11-30, 02:05

I'm still holding out for the $999 cube.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-12-01, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I'm still holding out for the $999 cube.
Keep holding...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-01, 15:59

Nothing new hopefully as I've just blown my wad on a Macbook C2D in the UK Black Friday. Although saying that, Leapord would be welcomed by me - Time Machine is going to rock my socks, as long as it aint all style- no substance.