User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Too early for MWSF speculation?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Too early for MWSF speculation?
Page 4 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-01, 05:28

8th to 12th.
MagSafe

2007-01-01, 08:18

9th of January, its a Tuesday (thats when the keynote is)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-01, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
9th of January, its a Tuesday (thats when the keynote is)
At 9 AM PST, by the way.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2007-01-01, 09:11

I think that they will announce that the Mac Mini is skipping having two cores and going straight to eight. Maybe on two four cores, maybe on one eight core. I'm not sure. It's available now and comes with iLife '07.
chucker

2007-01-01, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99 View Post
I think that they will announce that the Mac Mini is skipping having two cores and going straight to eight. Maybe on two four cores, maybe on one eight core. I'm not sure. It's available now and comes with iLife '07.
I can't tell if you're in jest.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

2007-01-01, 09:57

I'm as serious as I would be if I said that Apple is going to be unveiling a wireless-N Airport or an HD drive or an outer screen on the Macbook series for Vista SideShow type of support. Since Apple has been so far ahead of every other trend.

Last edited by Artap99 : 2007-01-01 at 12:31.
Anthem

2007-01-01, 11:05

Quote:
I'm as serious as I would be if I said that Apple is going to be unveiling a wireless-N Airport or an HD drive or an outer screen on the Macbook series for Vista slideshow type of support. Since Apple has been so far ahead of every other trend.
They're not going to make the Mini more powerful than the iMac.

I'm hoping they go the other way... the Mini should get down to a $499 pricepoint.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-01, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
They're not going to make the Mini more powerful than the iMac.

I'm hoping they go the other way... the Mini should get down to a $499 pricepoint.
Ding ding ding!

It's not crucial, of course. But it'd be nice. See also: $999 MacBook.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

2007-01-01, 12:30

The Applenova sarcasm detector needs to be tweaked, Brad.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-01, 13:28

I skimmed your post, Artap, and I missed the part about an external screen for the MacBook.

The first two seemed plausible enough...

Anyway, this morning, when I was trying really hard to fall asleep (no, I didn't pass out), I was thinking about using a technique similar to that in the Maybach's opaque/translucent privacy panel to make the Apple logo "flip" so that it was always right-side up. That's kind of a display...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
JK47

2007-01-01, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris e boy View Post
I think we'll get the following:

- iPod upgrade.
maybe not the "video" ipod but we'll see an upgrade of some sort sometime in January. Perhaps with bluetooth and a bigger screen and maybe a slicker UI.

- Leopard Info & Release Date
The "top secret" features will likely be a let down in my opinion but we'll get a demo of them and Steve will likely tell us when we can grab it. Steve will show us some of the features that have been popping up in the dev seeds.

- iTV
Release date and more information on this product. Perhaps a slightly more polished UI and hardware.

- Mac Mini upgrade to Core 2 Duo
Slightly overdue in my opinion.

- iLife & iWork upgrades
Of course.

- .Mac upgrade
Bit of wishful thinking on my part. A major price cut would be nice, or perhaps a cut-price version (I only used it for Safari/iCal syncing!)

And I think that will be it. No "iPhone" til later in the year, no "iTablet" and no 12" Macbook.
I agree completely, however I wouldn't rule out the possibility of updated Cinema Displays, possibly with HDMI output.
MagSafe

2007-01-01, 16:32

I'm really hoping for a .Mac upgrade.

Now that i'm getting rid of my other mac and won't be using the syncing feature I'm really thinking of not renewing it in May. The Mac User Group I go to had a discussion about this and it really is ridiculous now what Apple are charging for the features you get.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-01-01, 18:28

thinks are wuite quiet on the rumour front for being so close to MWSF
Dave Hagan

2007-01-01, 19:37

What if Apple finally integrates that rumored iPod dock into its Mac mini line and this is what they're holding out for WRT to C2D Mac minis? Perhaps they will even come out with new iPods too.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-01-01, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Do you really think Apple sold only six digits worth of iPods last year, PB PM?
Yeah, sales were way down this year... those new nanos really blew it for them.
digerati007

2007-01-01, 22:35

Hello.... BIG PICTURE!

MWSF will be about THE BIG PICTURE:

- Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard full preview ( BIG & small screen - resolution indepedance technology)
- NEW iPOD Touchscreen : various patents have hinted at a multi-functional device... BIG PICTURE!
( iPOD TS will be able to be an iPod / iPod Video / unlocked GSM iPhone / remote control device for iTV system / play iTunes games on your iPod TS OR iTV / Leopard Mobile mini tablet device. )
- NEW monitors with IR / Front Row capability, BUT one more thing...BIG FLAT SCREEN HD MONITOR - TV screen.
- Mac Mini is dead, but will be resurrected as iTV Mac Media TV device that will contain WI-FI Airport Extreme "n" standard for fast downloads. ( Leopard on your TV or computer monitor )
- iTunes will become iTunes AV to work with iPod TS to download & watch movies quickly via Mac Media TV center / major upgrade of QuickTime for BIG PICTURE.

No seperate iPhone.... uber iPod TS that may have cellphone capabilities IF you take it to the telecom stores to "unlock it".
Partial
Stallion

2007-01-01, 22:37

Quote:
Partial
Stallion

2007-01-01, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Ding ding ding!

It's not crucial, of course. But it'd be nice. See also: $999 MacBook.
I could realistically see them doing that. Dropping all their computer prices 100 bucks would be very, very nice and more in like with what they had a year ago.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2007-01-01, 22:39

i love the sweet teaser on the website. i just hope they dont taunt us (Beyond the rumor sites) and let us down the next week.
Anthem

2007-01-02, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by digerati007 View Post
- Mac Mini is dead, but will be resurrected as iTV Mac Media TV device that will contain WI-FI Airport Extreme "n" standard for fast downloads. ( Leopard on your TV or computer monitor )
If they kill the mini and make the iTV a dedicated media box, then the cheapest computer Apple makes would be a Macbook. They'd still need a new eMac or a Cube. I still think margins would be better on a cube, anyway. But a SFF is here to stay, one way or another.

The iTV is a glorified media extender. You don't want to pay $600 for that, it's a sub-$200 product or it won't fly. You still need a low-end Mac to round out the BIG PICTURE lineup.
rasmits
rams it

2007-01-02, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
If they kill the mini and make the iTV a dedicated media box, then the cheapest computer Apple makes would be a Macbook. They'd still need a new eMac or a Cube. I still think margins would be better on a cube, anyway. But a SFF is here to stay, one way or another.
The iMac starts at $999, or $899 for students, essentially replacing the need for an eMac.

Just thought I'd point that out. Besides that, I completely agree with you.

You had me at asl
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-02, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
I agree completely, however I wouldn't rule out the possibility of updated Cinema Displays, possibly with HDMI output.
Err... why? First, I think you mean "input." Second, DVI = HDMI minus audio and power, neither of which a computer display requires. (Well it requires power, but more than an HDMI connector can provide.) So why switch from DVI to HDMI and cause confusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digerati007 View Post
Hello.... BIG PICTURE!

MWSF will be about THE BIG PICTURE:

- Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard full preview ( BIG & small screen - resolution indepedance technology)
- NEW iPOD Touchscreen : various patents have hinted at a multi-functional device... BIG PICTURE!
( iPOD TS will be able to be an iPod / iPod Video / unlocked GSM iPhone / remote control device for iTV system / play iTunes games on your iPod TS OR iTV / Leopard Mobile mini tablet device. )
- NEW monitors with IR / Front Row capability, BUT one more thing...BIG FLAT SCREEN HD MONITOR - TV screen.
- iTunes will become iTunes AV to work with iPod TS to download & watch movies quickly via Mac Media TV center / major upgrade of QuickTime for BIG PICTURE.

No seperate iPhone.... uber iPod TS that may have cellphone capabilities IF you take it to the telecom stores to "unlock it".
Been drinking the Kool-Aid recently?

-Leopard: yes. But RI won't be what's incredible about it, I am banking on some heavy finder improvements.
-Big iPod screen? I no longer have any idea, nor do I care, about when this is coming out.
-Apple Cell Phone: Will be its own, nano like device. And I am going to boldly state that yes, I do believe it will be official this MWSF.
-Monitors having Front Row capability is odd to ask for: I assume by this you mean an IR port, but only the Mac Pro doesn't have IR built in, and this can be remedied for $15 + whatever the remote costs. OTOH, a Cinema Display with a superdense screen shipping simultaneously with Leopard could happen. And an Apple LCD/Plasma? Sorry, but no.
-The Mac mini is one of the most successful Macs. Killing it would be ludicrous. Will we get more info on the iTV? Yes. Will the iTV have anything to do with the mini? No.
-iTunes already does TV and Movies. Why rename it now, and not last September?

Sorry, but thats a pretty bunk list of predictions.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
chucker

2007-01-02, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Err... why? First, I think you mean "input." Second, DVI = HDMI minus audio and power, neither of which a computer display requires. (Well it requires power, but more than an HDMI connector can provide.) So why switch from DVI to HDMI and cause confusion?
Perhaps JK47 meant HDCP, which doesn't require HDMI.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-02, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
HDMI's advantages: smaller connector, smarter connector design, planned higher bandwidth (higher resolution support), audio stream support, etc. I guess my question is...why not? (excluding the copy-protection)
chucker

2007-01-02, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
HDMI's advantages: smaller connector, smarter connector design, planned higher bandwidth (higher resolution support), audio stream support, etc. I guess my question is...why not? (excluding the copy-protection)
This seems like a moot point. It's already been made clear that Apple will move to UDI soon. They're not gonna do a side-step to HDMI unless there is a short-term(!) benefit. Higher bandwidth is not one, unless they're planning on a display beyond their 30-incher's 2560 × 1600, and beyond 3840 × 2400.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-02, 02:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
This seems like a moot point. It's already been made clear that Apple will move to UDI soon. They're not gonna do a side-step to HDMI unless there is a short-term(!) benefit. Higher bandwidth is not one, unless they're planning on a display beyond their 30-incher's 2560 × 1600, and beyond 3840 × 2400.
Well one of the problems is HDMI isn't going away...and there's also DisplayPort. All three seem to overlap in terms of practical applications.
chucker

2007-01-02, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Well one of the problems is HDMI isn't going away...and there's also DisplayPort. All three seem to overlap in terms of practical applications.
UDI and DisplayPort are competitors, sure. But UDI is the alliance Apple joined.

As for HDMI, that was always and very clearly intended for A/V applications. Which is why iTV has it…

It seems a no-brainer to me that Macs will go straight from DVI to UDI.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-01-02, 04:16

Holy crap. Maybe its gonna be a big year?

SpecMode
Wait what

2007-01-02, 04:29

Welcome to yesterday, Rob.

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to the Stevenote all the more; it should be quite a show this time around.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-01-02, 04:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Welcome to yesterday, Rob.

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to the Stevenote all the more; it should be quite a show this time around.
Its a fix I tell you!

Anyway, people in GMT have to trawl through all of murbots drunk stuff every morning to find the nights posts.