Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Too early for MWSF speculation?
Page 5 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  Next Thread Tools
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-02, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
This seems like a moot point. It's already been made clear that Apple will move to UDI soon. They're not gonna do a side-step to HDMI unless there is a short-term(!) benefit. Higher bandwidth is not one, unless they're planning on a display beyond their 30-incher's 2560 × 1600, and beyond 3840 × 2400.
Ayup. That's exactly how I would have responded. The advantages of HDMI are too few to merit switching the entire line, especially with UDI on the horizon.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-02, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Ayup. That's exactly how I would have responded. The advantages of HDMI are too few to merit switching the entire line, especially with UDI on the horizon.
There are no merits of HDMI that UDI doesn't also cover. UDI is in fact capable of carrying a TMDS signal with audio as well, but the fact remains that Apple will probably be shipping an HDMI product fairly soon. If Apple was truly ready for UDI, they probably would have put it on iTV.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-01-02, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
There are no merits of HDMI that UDI doesn't also cover. UDI is in fact capable of carrying a TMDS signal with audio as well, but the fact remains that Apple will probably be shipping an HDMI product fairly soon. If Apple was truly ready for UDI, they probably would have put it on iTV.
Except how many consumers actually have a display in their living room with UDI? HDMI/DVI is very common, UDI, not so much.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-02, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Except how many consumers actually have a display in their living room with UDI? HDMI/DVI is very common, UDI, not so much.
While the specification was finalized in July '06, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that it's far too early for UDI to become a common connector.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-02, 19:12

HDMI = for home theater and A/V equipment. It carries audio. The spec was designed from the ground up to do this.

UDI = for computers. It carries USB. The spec was designed from the ground up to do this.

There is no good reason for Apple to use HDMI for their monitors. HDMI isn't meant for use with computer monitors. Period, end of story. Please tell me that those of you arguing for HDMI are simply playing Devil's Advocate; there is no good reason for any computer monitor to use HDMI as a primary input. DVI wil stick around for a while, and UDI or DisplayPort will supplant it. Not HDMI.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-02, 19:27

Quote:
UDI = for computers. It carries USB. The spec was designed from the ground up to do this.
Does it? The UDI spec does mention USB, but only in terms of plug design:
Quote:
The UDI connector interface is so defined that it prevents mis-mating with existing I/O connectors,
such as HDMI and USB connectors.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-02, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Does it? The UDI spec does mention USB, but only in terms of plug design:
Gosh, I know I read it somewhere... and now I can't find it...

Maybe I'm just thinking about ADC.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-02, 20:20

Quote:
HDMI = for home theater and A/V equipment. It carries audio. The spec was designed from the ground up to do this.

There is no good reason for Apple to use HDMI for their monitors. HDMI isn't meant for use with computer monitors. Period, end of story. Please tell me that those of you arguing for HDMI are simply playing Devil's Advocate; there is no good reason for any computer monitor to use HDMI as a primary input. DVI wil stick around for a while, and UDI or DisplayPort will supplant it. Not HDMI.
As I said, UDI just takes HDMI and does everything a bit better. It's basically HDMI+ (hesitant to call it HDMI 2.0 because I'm sure that will be an actual revision.) A UDI source port is electronically able to transmit a compatible HDMI signal, and products will take advantage of this. As we don't know for sure when the first UDI products will be out, HDMI is the next best thing...and it's already been earmarked for use on the iTV.

As I use my Mac mini like an iTV, HDMI support would have meant one less cable to add to the nest.
chucker

2007-01-02, 20:25

Quote:
As I said, UDI just takes HDMI and does everything a bit better. It's basically HDMI+ (hesitant to call it HDMI 2.0 because I'm sure that will be an actual revision.)
Untrue. UDI does not transmit audio, nor does it provide power. It's compatible to HDMI and DVI, and like HDMI and like DVI, it supports HDCP. That's about where the similarities end.

UDI is not a replacement for HDMI. It is not intended to be one either. It replaces VGA (D-Sub) and DVI.

Quote:
A UDI source port is electronically able to transmit a compatible HDMI signal
So is a DVI source port.

Quote:
, and products will take advantage of this. As we don't know for sure when the first UDI products will be out, HDMI is the next best thing...and it's already been earmarked for use on the iTV.
Which, as has been noted before, is a product specifically for TV equipment, not computer equipment.
digerati007

2007-01-02, 23:26

SO, debunk us all & make a list of YOUR predictions, instead of slammin' everyone else's...

hardsix...yeah, on a good day.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-02, 23:30

I'm really confused, could one of you guys just make a head-to-head-to-head comparison chart and post it? That would answer all of my questions, which is really interesting since I didn't know I had any questions about this UMHD stuff before I wandered into this thread.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-02, 23:31

Whether UDI passes audio is practically a matter of paying royalties. Direct from the UDI group's website:

Quote:
What happens when I plug a UDI PC into an HDMI TV? Will I hear audio?

If a PC simply supports UDI, then audio will not be sent along the link. Audio will need to be supported through another traditional means such as the SPDIF or analog audio jacks from the PC. Regarding video signals, an HDMI-compatible TV that also supports the UDI specification will see video of the same quality as if being driven by a HDMI host.

If a PC design supports both UDI and HDMI, then the PC will detect that it has interfaced with a HDMI TV and automatically go into HDMI mode. The PC will act like any other typical HDMI host and send both video and audio to the TV.

How can a PC support both UDI and HDMI with the same connector? How will I know if only one or both are supported?

We intend to have the UDI connector licensed to support HDMI as well by including the option of a common connector for the HDMI specification and for UDI. Because the UDI and HDMI specifications share many design criteria, it is anticipated that many UDI products will support HDMI as well. This is important because many PCs are gaining multimedia functionality, so a PC using this single connector becomes all the more versatile in connecting with PC monitors and TVs.

Both the UDI and HDMI specifications will be accompanied by the use of distinct corresponding logos, so knowing if a product can support both UDI and HDMI or only UDI is a simple matter of looking for their respective logos.

Last edited by Eugene : 2007-01-02 at 23:49.
Benton

2007-01-03, 01:36

Apple acquired FingerWorks so maybe we will see something along this line.
http://www.fingerworks.com/TS_PowerBook.html
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-01-03, 02:05

That has got to be the strangest keyboard layout I've ever seen, for any platform.
Baron Munchausen

2007-01-03, 07:28

My preds:

Serious iPhone + iTV + .Mac + FrontRow etc etc integration. Not a subscription service (as posted on another thread).

An 1080p TV + iSight + iTV entity.

8 Core Mac Pro. Possibly a new enclosure?

Leopard: RI. Pure fantasy wants: Expose enhanced to provide a viewport on a bigger underlying desktop area which you can zoom into and out of (using RI). Option for a 'fisheye' view where windows at the edge get smaller. Time Machine meets Finder+Spotlight: New way to cruise data and files by time, location, application or "Space" in Spaces. Time Machine type folder navigation. Finder also to provide not just "spring loading" but the cascade of folders as available from the Dock (which I find more natural than Finder and faster). Spaces uprated to enable full, remote concurrent multiuser logon ( + XGrid enhancements?).

I think the Mini will pan from single Core up to Core2 Duo to nudge at low end iMacs for the keyboard and screen recyclers out there.

iMac and display resolution enhancements. RI is an enabler for this. The aim should be to allow all iMac and Apple Displays to cope with 1080p content and RI can be used to stop the standard fonts and sizing getting too small.

A true "Piano Black" Pro Book.

A Quad Core Mac inside an Apple ][ case....

Thats enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post

That has got to be the strangest keyboard layout I've ever seen, for any platform.
Programmable gestures? I wonder what

E
SDF
ZXCV

all pressed together means...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-01-03, 07:32

I think news that the keynote is going to be 2 hours is definitely a nod towards the fact that there may be a lot of stuff unveiled.

I can honestly see, although I may be unrealistic here, a massive change in lineup and apples complete image: new products, new website, new UI in leapord; like they moved to leapord quickly, i think we could see apple moving away from whites over to much more silver and black.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-03, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs View Post
I think news that the keynote is going to be 2 hours is definitely a nod towards the fact that there may be a lot of stuff unveiled.
There's no shortage of products they could talk about. If they do introduce iTV, they'd need to roll out a draft-N base, updated computers, maybe a new AirPort Express...all that just for networking. I still think it would be cool if they'd introduce something like a wireless iPod HiFi that also functioned as a wireless speaker in conjunction with iTV.

Plus potential for the iPhone, quad-core Mac Pro updates, monitor updates, major Leopard announcements, iPod updates, etc.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-01-03, 07:49

Comment on digg:
Quote:
I bought shares in turtlenecks this morning.
Gizzer

2007-01-03, 08:52

Quote:
Where did you hear that it was going to be 2 hours? If that's true then that really is a good sign. From what I've read in the past Steve cherry picks the products he will be covering in a keynote right up until a week or so before. If he is using a full 2 hours then that could indicate that everything is so awesome he just couldn't decide what to cover!

Fingers crossed
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-01-03, 09:14

On the official site, the keynote page is listed as 0900-1100.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-03, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by digerati007 View Post
SO, debunk us all & make a list of YOUR predictions, instead of slammin' everyone else's...

hardsix...yeah, on a good day.
I already did. already did. Very modest, I always air on the side of caution when predicting Stevenotes - you never know what'll happen.

I'd probably add a Leopard preview to that too.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
saumur85

2007-01-03, 14:55

Hey All,
I found something very interesting. I am attending MacWorld at the Users' Conference and I received an e-mail yesterday that had this:

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!! THE KEYNOTE LOCATION HAS BEEN MOVED TO MOSCONE WEST.

The MacWorld keynote is almost always in Moscone Center not Moscone West, I wonder why?

Any ideas, why it was moved?

Sincerely,
Jason
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-01-03, 15:02

Maybe size? Technical Issues? Probably nothing worth bothering about.
saumur85

2007-01-03, 15:13

Quote:
Maybe size? Technical Issues? Probably nothing worth bothering about.
I think they might be expecting a larger Keynote audience this time around and the fact that Moscone West is not directly connected with the rest of Moscone, giving the Keynote isolation.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-03, 15:13

The location has been Moscone West since they announced the '07 keynote. Some previous Macworld keynotes were held at the Marriott.
saumur85

2007-01-03, 15:17

Quote:
The location has been Moscone West since they announced the '07 keynote. Some previous Macworld keynotes were held at the Marriott.
That's weird since I only got the email yesterday and I didn't hear anything about it not being in Moscone South like normal in the past years, but I digress. I probably missed the other memo.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-03, 15:23

Quote:
On the official site, the keynote page is listed as 0900-1100.
Local time, I assume?
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-03, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Local time, I assume?
Correct.
saumur85

2007-01-03, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post