User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Willing to give feedback?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Willing to give feedback?
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2008-01-22, 16:29

Hello,

Some may consider this to be spam, but I am looking for a good trustworthy group to mess with my application and give feedback on how I can improve it.

If you would like to help me (if not I will not be offended), these are the requirements:
  • Leopard-only
  • Use iTunes as primary music player
If you would like to help, you can download it by clicking on "1.0.6" at this website:

http://spartantechnologies.googlepages.com/

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks,
King Kovifor

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum. I thought I was in third-party products!

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug

Last edited by King Kovifor : 2008-01-22 at 16:32. Reason: WRONG FORUM!!!! SORRY!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-22, 16:51

It looks like a good program.

I just try not to use anything up in the Menu Bar. I like that to be as clean as possible. Plus, I don't have Leopard.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-01-22, 16:59

That does look pretty cool. I try to keep my menu bar empty, too, but I might try this out when I get back to my office tomorrow (just a PC at home right now).

I would suggest some keyboard shortcuts for all the controls in the dropdown. I think that could make the application useful for even more people.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-22, 17:16

I run Leopard (10.5.1) on the desktop in my signature.
I started the app before I started iTunes, and it didn't do anything except display the song name. Couldn't use it, couldn't close it.
Force-quit and re-started your app and it worked.
I like it. A lot actually.
Bad stuff:
If iTunes isn't running, it should be able to start it.
If iTunes hasn't played a song yet, your app crashes on launch.
When i choose "Quit iTunes", only iTunes should quit, and it should change to an icon in the menu bar so that I can "remotely" start iTunes.
In any case, there's no need for your app to quit (except that it only works when started after iTunes)
If at all possible, the number of stars should be actual stars, and one should be able to rate the currently playing song.

Sounds bad, but you're off to a great start. I like it!

Converted 07/2005.
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2008-01-22, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
It looks like a good program.

I just try not to use anything up in the Menu Bar. I like that to be as clean as possible. Plus, I don't have Leopard.
Thanks for the feedback, but it is one of the only non-Apple menus that I actually use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
That does look pretty cool. I try to keep my menu bar empty, too, but I might try this out when I get back to my office tomorrow (just a PC at home right now).

I would suggest some keyboard shortcuts for all the controls in the dropdown. I think that could make the application useful for even more people.
I need to figure out how to make keyboard shortcuts available through a system wide no matter what application you are in before I could add those, but that is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
I run Leopard (10.5.1) on the desktop in my signature.
I started the app before I started iTunes, and it didn't do anything except display the song name. Couldn't use it, couldn't close it.
Force-quit and re-started your app and it worked.
I like it. A lot actually.
Bad stuff:
If iTunes isn't running, it should be able to start it.
If iTunes hasn't played a song yet, your app crashes on launch.
When i choose "Quit iTunes", only iTunes should quit, and it should change to an icon in the menu bar so that I can "remotely" start iTunes.
In any case, there's no need for your app to quit (except that it only works when started after iTunes)
If at all possible, the number of stars should be actual stars, and one should be able to rate the currently playing song.

Sounds bad, but you're off to a great start. I like it!
I will handle your amazing feedback one by one:

Starting the application before iTunes was something that I noticed after I released that. When I open the application, and if it realizes that iTunes is not running, all it did was make the menu bar, and never actually created the menu, so trying to open it was impossible because I never created the menu. I have already fixed this within v1.1.0 Beta 1 which is my current development version. (This takes care of the if iTunes is not running, my app won't be able to work).

I know about crashing if iTunes isn't playing. I just haven't found a work around yet.

The reason "Quit iTunes" quits both Tune-A-Holic AND iTunes is because if iTunes is quit after Tune-A-Holic has started up, the program will stall and crash because iTunes isn't sending notifications and Tune-A-Holic is not finding any notifications to go off of. So yes, as of right now, there is a need for Tune-A-Holic to quit because if not it will stall.

I need to figure out how to set ratings and such and how to use images in the menu bar item. If that happens, that was my actual intention from the start. So I hope to be figuring that out sooner or later. lol.

And the feedback actually helped me on a bit. Good criticism, in my eyes, is the only way that something can be made better because nothing is perfect.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-22, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovifor View Post
I know about crashing if iTunes isn't playing. I just haven't found a work around yet.
Exception handling? try {...} catch ? something like that In any case, it's good that it's learning experience. In a few years you'll look back and wonder WTH you were thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovifor View Post
I need to figure out how to set ratings and such and how to use images in the menu bar item. If that happens, that was my actual intention from the start. So I hope to be figuring that out sooner or later. lol.
Well, it's a minor issue. Take a look at iTunesRating (the developer is unfortunately MIA and no source) (might not work on Leopard)

Converted 07/2005.
King Kovifor

2008-01-22, 18:39

Quote:
Exception handling? try {...} catch ? something like that In any case, it's good that it's learning experience. In a few years you'll look back and wonder WTH you were thinking

Well, it's a minor issue. Take a look at iTunesRating (the developer is unfortunately MIA and no source) (might not work on Leopard)
I am not familiar with exception handling, but I will look in my reference book for it. So thanks for that. And I will look at iTunesRating, but since Scripting Bridge was introduced, I am not sure if there is actually a setRating: function or something like it. I am working on lyrics support right now so... I haven't had time to mess with ratings.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-01-22, 18:54

Actually you might want to start a sister thread in the programmer's nook. We have some decent programmers at AN.
King Kovifor

2008-01-22, 18:55

I will do that. Thanks... Can't wait for more feedback! And will you move this to the correct forum please?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-01-23, 09:38

Very impressive. Although I personally would like no dock icon. Also I would like it just to not say anything if iTunes isn't running.
King Kovifor

2008-01-23, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Very impressive. Although I personally would like no dock icon. Also I would like it just to not say anything if iTunes isn't running.
I thought about doing that, but I think once I get this done with (the new version) I might add settings with things like what to say. And I don't know how to run an application with no dock icon so that isn't an option right now.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-23, 16:10

You seem to have a bug:

Only happens sometimes, only on some songs, and only the first time after that song starts. Seems to be related to a general positioning-issue:

Also, the menu item should stay at the very left of the various icons. For menubar hints, you may want to look at Quicksilver, I think it was recently open-sourced and it does a lot of the menu-bar stuff you want.

This app does much the same as right-clicking the iTunes icon, but for some reason it's nicer to use...

Converted 07/2005.
King Kovifor

2008-01-23, 18:52

Quote:
You seem to have a bug:

Only happens sometimes, only on some songs, and only the first time after that song starts. Seems to be related to a general positioning-issue:

Also, the menu item should stay at the very left of the various icons. For menubar hints, you may want to look at Quicksilver, I think it was recently open-sourced and it does a lot of the menu-bar stuff you want.

This app does much the same as right-clicking the iTunes icon, but for some reason it's nicer to use...
Cause you have to hold on the iTunes icon. And I noticed that too. I didn't find much of a problem. I think that is the computers fault for trying to do both at the same time. If you let it go for one to two seconds before opening up the menu it seems to work.

And that last little tidbit is pretty nice to know, and makes me want to truly release this, as an official product... Of a company. lol. Oh, and it goes to the left when it is the last thing opened. That is just the way NSMenuExtra (or whatever it is called) works... I could try to make it constant left, but it doesn't actually affect me so I wouldn't think of doing it.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
King Kovifor

2008-02-24, 16:24

Hey,

I am glad for all the feedback I have gotten, and I would like to tell you that I have updated it to be v1.1.0 and would like feedback on the latest version. It is the same link as before, but you need to click on v1.1.0 instead of v1.0.6... I added a couple new features.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2008-02-25, 00:09

I like the app (I have a tendency to not learn the names of songs for my music, so that would be quite helpful), but I can tell you it's almost useless to me without dock icon hiding. I can't stand seeing the dock icon for menu bar applications.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-02-25, 01:19

http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?LSUIElement
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-02-25, 02:13

I was actually looking for an app to do exactly this about a year ago. The solution I eventually came up with - QuickTunes - is unreliable on Leopard.

That said, once you get the dock hiding down, I'll gladly be an ongoing beta tester for you.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
King Kovifor

2008-02-25, 15:33

OK. I think I am going to release this without any major changes... I just added the LSUIElement to remove the dock icon. I still keep it in my dock to open it up and stuff...

Edit: Released, I hope you two will give me a ton a feedback so you keep me busy for weeks to come. lol.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug

Last edited by King Kovifor : 2008-02-25 at 15:45.