Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

The iCADE is coming!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The iCADE is coming!
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-01-08, 21:52

This is awesome. Works with bluetooth so you can use it in portrait and landscape. $99 - available this Spring. They say the have a partnership with Atari and will have Asteroids available at launch with a catalog of games to follow. Here's hoping for all of the old classics.

Woot!!

Source with link to (not very interesting) video: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/08/...ctive-charger/

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-01-10, 16:31

Yes. YES. This is something that might actually get me to buy an iPad. Yes, just for this. I've desired this since the ThinkGeek April Fool's thing. Holy awesome.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 12:02

I didn't want to be the only person to say this looked so cool. It reminds me of the table-toppers we had when I was a kid. But, I don't know if it would work with the iOS games typical touch based input. I'm sure the device I/O over BT is easy enough, just like iPad keyboards, but aren't all the games built around touch/tilt/accelerometers in the iPad itself?

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but this would rock as a miniature version of those flat two player arcade tables, one player at either end and a really good iPad hockey game...

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 15:09

I want them to get Williams onboard too. Stargate! And Joust, Robotron, Sinistar, Smash TV. And all the old Atari classics would be awesome. Centipede, Dig Dug, Tempest! Paperboy, Crystal Castles, etc. There are so many classic arcade games that would translate to the iPad.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-01-11, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I want them to get Williams onboard too. Stargate! And Joust, Robotron, Sinistar, Smash TV. And all the old Atari classics would be awesome. Centipede, Dig Dug, Tempest! Paperboy, Crystal Castles, etc. There are so many classic arcade games that would translate to the iPad.
You forgot the best Williams' game ever, Defender!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2011-01-11, 15:22

i will be buying this...i tried last year then found out it was, at the time, a hoax...

not sure how it will work in landscape though...is there room to fit sideways in the console?

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Other games that would be fun - as long as there was some kind of joystick control:
Burger Time, Galaxian, Donkey Kong, Bump-n-Jump, Spy Hunter, Gauntlet, Pitfall
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
i will be buying this...i tried last year then found out it was, at the time, a hoax...

not sure how it will work in landscape though...is there room to fit sideways in the console?

g
Yes there is. I think that's the reason they decided to use Bluetooth instead of some kind of docking port/cable. Hopefully there's no lag.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2011-01-11, 15:26

ah, watched the video...landscape sits in front of cabinet...not elegant, but all the game i will want are likely portrait anyways....

Asteroids is cool, but I want Dig Dug, centipede and tempest.

robotron and donkey kong (or miner 49er) would be cool too....

Dragons lair might be cool just because i could never ever ever get more than 30 seconds into the game before dying....so not putting in quarters would allow me to actually try the game.

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
You forgot the best Williams' game ever, Defender!
I did mention Stargate (aka Defender II), but yeah. I have a thing for Williams games, most of them were awesome. Awesome to the max. I really, really want this to happen, and I want them to make it happen by allowing in-app purchasing for more games. And to get a metric buttload of games available for it. I cannot resist it.

Oh yeah and Dragon's Lair - I have that on the iPhone so it's not a stretch to imagine it might be available for the iCade at some point.

Hell, I will even wear checkered Vans while playing it. And I'll have a 2 liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix tape.

Last edited by Xaqtly : 2011-01-11 at 15:33. Reason: shooz
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
ah, watched the video...landscape sits in front of cabinet...not elegant, but all the game i will want are likely portrait anyways....

Asteroids is cool, but I want Dig Dug, centipede and tempest.

robotron and donkey kong (or miner 49er) would be cool too....

Dragons lair might be cool just because i could never ever ever get more than 30 seconds into the game before dying....so not putting in quarters would allow me to actually try the game.
Dragon's Lair is already in the App store - it just uses touch zones on the screen. Space Ace, or whatever it was, is also on there.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 15:35

It's very cool but I don't like the idea of having to buy a whole bunch of games separately after shelling out for the accessory.