AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Perennial "Movies to Avoid" thread.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Perennial "Movies to Avoid" thread.
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-03-10, 02:17

We love the chronic! What? cles of Narnia!

BTW, Timeline (the movie, not the book) was pretty bad. I'll second the suggestion of Sahara, too.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-12, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
Don't go and watch The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe terrible movie.
WTF are you talking about? I thought it was a great movie. Can you explain why you feel this way as opposed to just saying it?
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-03-12, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
oooo, how about House of 1000 corpses. HORRIBLE movie in every aspect. It un-watchable even for a cheesy horror flick.
Interestingly, I thought the sequel (Devil's Rejects) was pretty good. I only saw House of 1000 Corpses afterwards and it was much worse. A couple lines of memorable dialog and that's it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-12, 12:05

Avoid White Noise late at night, if you're used to leaving the tv on in the dark. Not because it's a bad movie but because the EVP beasts will come for yoU!

...into the light of a dark black night.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-12, 12:42

Yes, White Noise was quite the scary movie. I still shudder a little bit whenever I hear loud static, especially late at night.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2006-03-12, 12:45

I can't believe I didn't think of these before, under no circumstances should anyone see either of the following films: Dancer in the Dark and Amores Perros, I almost walked out on on both of them and in retrospect I should have. Both films have such horribly unsympathetic characters that whatever message they were trying to impart was drowned out because of your disdain for everyone you had seen in the movie. I actually stopped listening Bjork after seeing Dancer, to many bad associations.

The future is tomorrow!

Last edited by naren : 2006-03-13 at 00:42.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-12, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Yes, White Noise was quite the scary movie. I still shudder a little bit whenever I hear loud static, especially late at night.

Movie was messed UP!

OmegaB

2006-03-12, 13:28

Giggly, I mean Gigli, is on TV next week where I live. I might just watch it to see if it really is that bad!

Gobble Gobble.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-03-12, 13:37

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? I thought it was a great movie. Can you explain why you feel this way as opposed to just saying it?
Sorry for seeming blunt.
I simply found the movie to do the book no justice at all, which annoyed me.
Besides that, the movie has a very strong 'moralistic' feel to it, which always gives me the creeps.

I know though this is still an over-simplified explanation.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-12, 13:40

Indeed, but still better than the one you offered before. You're right about the book to movie conversion, although those rarely if ever go well. Still, I really enjoyed the movie.

Come waste your time with me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-12, 13:45

Quote:
I thought it was good, but not great. I was won over mostly by the special effects. I felt some of the Christian overtones were a bit too strong, but that was probably unavoidable given the original material and author. No, I've never read the book but I know enough about it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-12, 13:49

Yes, a lot of people didn't care for the Christian aspect of the film, but that's what you get with CS Lewis.

I guess my feeling that it was a great movie was because I enjoyed the books so much, and because I'm a Christian as well. Regardless of your feelings on the subject matter, it's hard to argue that it wasn't a visually stunning film.

Come waste your time with me
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-12, 18:19

Last night saw Johnny Depp in The Libertine.

Ugh. I *really* wouldn't recommend it. We went to see this film because - amazingly - the reviews in the local newspaper were good, and because I am generally a big fan of 'period' pieces.

This film had virtually no redeeming qualities wrt providing an enjoyable evening at the cinema. Now that I think about it, I suppose I did feel a certain horrified fascination as I observed the omnipresent filth and squalor. I wonder if these 17th century people really 'were' as physically filthy as the film portrays. Even the Earl of Rochester has a truckload of dirt under his fingernails.

Here's a negative review I just read today:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies...ertine10q.html

And here's a sample of the *rave* reviews from imdb:

Quote:
The mood, the sets and cinematography, the script and, most of all, the acting were all of the highest and most innovative caliber. Depp was in almost every scene and was fascinating beyond anything I'd ever experienced. His force and range of emotion and naturalness were exceptionally powerful and moving from first to last. You hated him and loved him, were repulsed by him and felt pity for him. You were drawn to him almost against your will, like a vortex pulling you in. All else paled in comparison.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375920/#comment

The imdb reviews I read all seemed to be written by females already massively smitten with Johnny Depp, so they should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I guess I'll have to give the film some thought over a period of time, and maybe read up on it a bit more. As I said, I wouldn't recommend it as a pleasurable evening at the movies.

But, I would be interested in the opinions of others who have seen The Libertine.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-03-13 at 14:53.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-03-12, 18:36

I know this one was already out and it's kind of the opposite of what this thread is about, but I would recommend Aeon Flux. It'll be released onto DVD soon, and it's worth a viewing. The movie has a lackluster ending (not anticlimactic or anything, just not up to par with the visuals and flow of the rest of the movie) but it doesn't take away from the overall enjoyment.
digitalAngel

Send a message via AIM to digitalAngel Send a message via Yahoo to digitalAngel  
2006-03-13, 13:38

i bought Jarhead on dvd last week and was extremely disappointed!!! it was had a slow moving plot and the least action in a war movie i've ever seen. it just made me wander what all the money spent on war goes to because most the time they were sitting around doing NOTHING! i give Jarhead two thumbs and a big toe down.

i Believe, that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade.
And try to find somebody who's life gives them vodka, and have a party!
agntcalvin

2006-03-15, 13:38

I'm gonna say "Darkness."

It piled on a bunch of weird things, raised a bunch of questions, and then.....ended. With no explanations.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-03-15, 14:04

Here's my basic rule of thumb, and it hasn't failed me yet:

If it has Meg Ryan or Hugh Grant, approach with caution.

I'm actually waiting for the ultimate Nora Ephron-helmed date/chick flick starring these two. And Joan Cusack as Meg's best friend. Title song by Sting. And Dakota Fanning too, I suppose, as the requisite "kid nursing a broken heart who can only be healed if the above two knuckleheads hook up".

"Sleepless in Notting Hill for Nine Months with Sally".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-03-15 at 14:11.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-15, 14:25

I saw Mrs. Henderson the other day - the film with Judi Dench.

It takes place in the late 30's, early 40's, and wartime London.

Scene I won't soon forget:

...the entire male stage crew, director, and all female cast members standing around during rehearsal completely naked... full-frontal nudity.

Believe me, the guys were NOT anyone you'd wanna see naked. eek!

Not exactly a scene from a Meg Ryan movie, is it, skates?
¡Damned!

2006-03-15, 14:33

Bob Hoskins full-frontal???

That rocks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-03-15, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Not exactly a scene from a Meg Ryan movie, is it, skates?
Doesn't sound like it.