User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Refurb iPhones in supply, they're unlocked...what all does that mean exactly?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Refurb iPhones in supply, they're unlocked...what all does that mean exactly?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-02-23, 03:55

For months, Apple has only offered various iPhone 11 models as refurbs. Tonight, I see the 12 mini ($489) is available and some others. Still haven't seen any 13 models (mini or otherwise). Even the 12 is miles beyond what I have in processor, graphics, capacity, screen and battery life. And camera.

It says on the site they're "unlocked".

I'm with AT&T, so what, exactly, does that even mean? Can I just take the little SIM out of my current first-gen SE (which will turn seven in April) and put it in this and it'll work? I'll be buying it outright, not needing to actually go through AT&T for anything (payments, plan changes...I'm happy with everything right now).

If I got one of those refurb 12 minis, what, exactly do I do when it arrives? Never bought a phone this way, so I wasn't sure.

Update: all the $489 128GB models are gone. All that's left for the 12 mini are the 256GB models starting at $589.

I sure wish Apple had done this past go-around what they'd done in the previous 2-3. Keep last year's lineup around, for $100 off. I'd rather get a 13 mini at the discounted price vs. refurb. The 13 mini is available but not as cheap as I was hoping for/expecting in September.

Oh well...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-02-23 at 04:59.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-02-23, 04:13

Unlocked means not tied to a carrier.

Quote:
Can I just take the little SIM out of my current first-gen SE (which will turn seven in April)
Yes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-23, 08:23

Yes, just not tied to a carrier. If the size is different from your old one you can go into a store for your carrier and they'll help you.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-23, 09:08

Yep, as the others have said, if it is unlocked then you can pull your SIM from your old phone and stick it in the new one. I did that recently going from my 11 Pro to the 13 mini I have.

I'm also really 100% positive that the SIM in any SE is the same as all iPhones use. And I looked it up and I'm right, they have used the same SIM for YEARS now.

So find the deal on a phone you want that is unlocked and order it. When it comes in set it up and move the SIM from your old phone to the new one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-02-23, 10:00

Every single iPhone I've owned has been unlocked, and I've swapped the SIM from the old to new exactly like this. I always advocate people to get the unlocked models so they don't have to buy a whole new phone to switch carriers or travel outside the country.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.