2021-12-09, 20:20

Code:
Rendering 1398101 total tiles.
Boy have y'all been flying!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-09, 22:07

Ok, so the maps are back up... mostly. Overviewer is running like a champ! Maps a repopulating now but not scripted just yet. That will come.

In this process tonight I've built three different servers and torn two down. I'm on the third with Overviewer and it seems to be working well.

DNS seems to be working right now so I'm seeing the maps properly at the link in my signature as well as maps.turtle2472.com. Both names point to the same place.

I've yet to find how to do a "top down" view in Overviewer so we don't have one of those yet. I have one render with normal lighting and one of Nether for giggles. We will see how they stick or not.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-12-10, 07:29

Amazing! It's so great to be able to see what's happening in the world again. Thanks for all your effort T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Boy have y'all been flying!
Me, updating the maps on the nether portals.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 08:20

You're very welcome! I realized it has been eating at me that I stopped doing them when Google broke their API while I waited for a leaflet option. Then I never went back to it. Kinda like getting sick and not going to the gym.

Still haven't figured out getting people to show up at their locations and such. Also, apparently there re signs as well, I just don't know how to do those yet. Hopefully we don't have the change the syntax on the sign to make them appear in the map.

Also looks like Spawn needs to be moved again. Anyone recall exactly where it was? I know I can move it, I just have to look up how again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 09:34

Looking at it the depth doesn't seem right on the maps. It looks like it stops rendering at the old bedrock line still. Wonder if there is going to be an update that lets it run below that line.

I was able to get it to use Brad's resource pack so we are seeing most of our textures but some don't look right, glowstone being the one that stands out in my mind right now.

Also, I think I have the details I need to be able to script this to run at least a couple of times a day again. I'm using multiple different servers to make this happen so it isn't a super-simple thing. I need to ensure I don't effect the MC server itself with the map generation and can't do the rendering on the web server hosting the files... such fun to work through these things.

Edit: oh, and the most recent render is still syncing over to the web server right now. Once it finishes we will have the maps fully populated with the Overviewer based maps.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-10, 15:45

I'm planning to work on the texture pack this evening. Hopefully still sticking with my goal of having up ready for you this weekend!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-10, 15:56

Ha ha, whatever "Brad". How are things in Toledo??

Ken can we figure out a way to make these bots jump through some sort of loop???

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 15:57

Brad, thanks and no pressure on my end. I'm sure it will dress the maps up though for a few points at least.

For all, I'm still working through the process to automate the maps again. Right now I'm seeing that I have to rethink my process. IO is through the roof with high latency on the NAS I'm doing the work on. I've got to do some changes and hopefully prevent my from killing my servers and other loads that rely on that NAS.

For sure, I'll do manual updates regularly though since I have that down with Overviewer.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-10, 20:41

Mother of god…

Code:
$ git diff --shortstat 1.16..1.18 **/*.png 426 files changed, 0 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
I, uhh, I think I have my work cut out for me.

Well, at least it's not all of the images…

Code:
$ find . -type f -name '*.png' | wc -l 2243
I guess it was a good decision to keep track of each Minecraft release's assets in a local git repo. Now I know which 426 images have changed that I need to cross-reference against my pack.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-13, 09:11

It is a good thing you have that resource pack organized like you do. That is amazing actually.

Kinda wild how the new rendering doesn't show parts that haven't been exposed again like you can see here even though we know there is a build in that gap. I'm not promoting wild flying or anything, but we might want to try to cover the primary core of our world so it shows in the maps better.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-13, 09:59

Request!
If you have a point you would like to be shown on the map please provide the details in this thread and I'll see about including them. While I might be able to use the old format where a "~" in the front of the sign meant to share it on the map, I think a list of specific points would be nice to have too. Use the following format when providing the details for the Points of Interest:
Code:
{'id':'Town', 'x':200, 'y':64, 'z':200, 'name':'Foo'}, {'id':'Town', 'x':-300, 'y':85, 'z':-234, 'name':'Bar'}

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-14, 19:33

New section added to the map!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-16, 17:30

Maps should be automated now! Still processing every three hours coinciding with the backups that run at 0300, 0900, 1500 and 2100 EDT.

I'm likely to dump the nether map though. As normal it seems pretty worthless, unless someone really wants it for any reason. I'm open.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-16, 18:02

The Nether Map is quite useful for things.

I'm just not sure yet what those things are.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-17, 08:33

A glimpse of hell maybe?

I'm good with leaving it. If you work hard you can pick out structures and such in it.
¡Damned!

2021-12-17, 09:47

I took a fly-around the other day to fill in some of the holes mentioned above, and man, I'm super impressed at some of the biome blending that's happened between old and new chunks. It looks a little simple on the map overhead, but on the ground it's usually pretty hard to tell. Kudos to mojang for that.

So nice to have maps back!!

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-17, 10:35

I saw that, thanks for doing so because the maps look much better without the holes in them.

It is odd seeing the "original" chunk collisions vs the new trim and 1.18 chunk boundaries. I'm really impressed as well.

As for the maps back, I AM TOO! I'm really kinda annoyed with myself for trying to wait it out for Tectonicus to work. Overviewer is great, though it doesn't offer a top down view at all. However, it runs via python and is CPU intensive. This is a better situation from the java that Tectonicus ran that couldn't take advantage of multiple cores. So I have been able to add more cores to the map making server to process them faster.

I'm still digging through the config wiki on how to make the signs show on the map where we put the "~" at the front of the sign. This would make it nice so we don't have to reformat how we have been doing it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-19, 19:25

It took a bit longer than expected — I'll admit I was scarred off when I saw the file listing diff — but fortunately the vast majority of the resource files since modified since 1.16 are new, not customized in my pack, or have zero (or practically zero) actual visual changes. I suspect someone at Mojang just forgot and remembered to run a bunch of the images through PNGCrush.

So, my custom resource pack to now updated for 1.18 (with some 1.17 changes along the way), I updated the server.properties with the new URL and SHA sum, and I restarted the server a few minutes ago when nobody was online. So far so good!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2021-12-21, 12:14

Map page is boinked. Showing this (?):

Web Station has been enabled. To finish setting up your website,
please see the "Web Service" section of DSM Help.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-21, 13:08

I have no idea why. I've changed nothing... but the automation might have screwed it up. I'll see if I can get it fixed shortly. Might have to wait until I get off work though.

Edit:

It was me.
Code:
sed -i 's/10.10.0.11/10.10.0.10/g' *.conf
Edit2: Fixed!

Last edited by turtle : 2021-12-21 at 13:23.
¡Damned!

2022-09-08, 10:24

Something looked a little off on the maps today... and I realized that they're now showing the full, newer height and depth limits! Very nice! Thanks T, if you did that, and even if you didn't.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-08, 10:27

I did! I forgot to post it here though. There was an update to Overviewer so I pushed it and re-rendered the maps!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-16, 13:13

Sad day, but today I have stopped the map generation server. I'm not taking down the map URL yet. However any changes in the world will not update on the maps anymore.

Eventually I'll take the maps off the internet. I'm open to making the "site" available to download, but it is a lot of files if there is any interest in it. It is ~8GB with +144K files, +37K folders.

For now while it lasts, https://maps.turtle2472.com/

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-22, 17:23

For those interested in downloading the maps as they are right now, here you go!