User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

What's a good (and cheap!) webpage editor?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's a good (and cheap!) webpage editor?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-11-15, 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley
I started out using vi and/or emacs from the shell.

Having said that, I tried out a demo of rapidweaver and bought a copy the next day. Does it do everything I want? no. But when I need a site up for a freind or a client really quick, I can quickly get the content in place and then apply either a supplied template or create my own. What I never liked about using a text editor is that I had to do the content at the same time I was doing the interface/layout. Add in PHP or Javascript coding to the mix and my head started hurting real quick.

RW allows me to create all the content I need and THEN experiment with look and feel. It even let's me get down to the code to write in my favorite PHP.

In short, it lets me focus each side of my brain separately. No more migraines.

The newest beta is pretty cool too. Buy the stable version now and get the new beta for free when it goes gold. Best $40 bucks you ever spent.

But YMMV.
I think you use it like I was thinking of using it. That's great to hear, I think I'll pick it up when it comes time to update my website. Thank you.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-15, 04:04

Hey AsLan^, Julia has been getting on quite well with this today and has only needed a little bit of help...

She'll be uploading it to a test place on one of my sites later today..

Not bad for a complete n00b. I am even considering adopting it for the same uses as smiley...

If you want some specific feedback from Julia then post a couple of questions here and I'll ask her.. But it looks like you have made your mind up already..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-11-15, 04:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Hey AsLan^, Julia has been getting on quite well with this today and has only needed a little bit of help...

She'll be uploading it to a test place on one of my sites later today..

Not bad for a complete n00b. I am even considering adopting it for the same uses as smiley...

If you want some specific feedback from Julia then post a couple of questions here and I'll ask her.. But it looks like you have made your mind up already..
I'd like to see your wifes page

I brought up web design with my wife once, but she's content to stick with cyworld which is whats popular over here in Korea.

My main concern was that Rapidweaver *is* restrictive and I was worried that the code would be hard to hand edit later, but that's along the same lines as how smiley's using it so I think it will fit the bill.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-11-15, 04:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^
I'd like to see your wifes page

I brought up web design with my wife once, but she's content to stick with cyworld which is whats popular over here in Korea.

My main concern was that Rapidweaver *is* restrictive and I was worried that the code would be hard to hand edit later, but that's along the same lines as how smiley's using it so I think it will fit the bill.
Will post a link here later...

By the way in theory once you have uploaded the site and it's not in the project then you could just download it into any web editor.. Or just as files..

I am sure if you look where the program is developing the site itself it will just have a folder with the site in it.. But if not once it is uploaded it will have to 100% standard so just pull it down and edit that...

That's exactly what I usse Dreamweaver for and may start using this for..
Produce the bare bones, then go to work on the html files etc. myself.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-11-15, 04:50

He! Just found a retarded bug in it..

If you upload to the wrong place first time and then delete that from your server and ask it to upload again it just say's nothing has changed and refuses to upload again.

I have tried editing files and everything but it stubbornly refuses to upload..

Personally, a bug like that would make me erase a program and never use it again.

My wife is more tolerant than me! And I guess it is still Beta.. But nonetheless...

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-11-15, 05:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
He! Just found a retarded bug in it..

If you upload to the wrong place first time and then delete that from your server and ask it to upload again it just say's nothing has changed and refuses to upload again.

I have tried editing files and everything but it stubbornly refuses to upload..

Personally, a bug like that would make me erase a program and never use it again.

My wife is more tolerant than me! And I guess it is still Beta.. But nonetheless...
I never actually tried the uploading feature in it, I've always uploaded my web stuff by hand with sftp and then moved it into place with ssh, perhaps Im still living in the stone age!
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-11-15, 05:27

No you're the same as me.. But I was keeping this simple for Julia...

I gues you can upload it the ftp way if it stores it in a standard format on the hard drive.. I have to be honest I have not even looked... But when it goes through the process it seems to be accessing lots of different places..

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-15, 08:23

VIM, baby!

(It even comes with your Mac! )

That being said, I've done a lot of web development (linky, pardon the melodrama--I blog when I'm down), but I always edit my files in vim on a live server, and watch how changes affect what I see in my browser. So it's sorta like WYSIWYG, but not really. Different strokes for different folks.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
fiddler

2005-11-16, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed
VIM, baby!

(It even comes with your Mac! )
Too right! I often find myself hitting esc after typing inside web forms (like this one), TextEdit, emails... you name it.

Steep learning curve, for sure, but well worth the time invested. Err. I think.