User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Klipsch speakers, just how good are they?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Klipsch speakers, just how good are they?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-11-07, 02:11

I'm looking to buy a 2.1 system and i have the feeling that the Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 system is good although it's butt ugly. Before I buy them, I'd like to hear some advice from anyone who has heard these speakers. I am rather anal about audio quality so if you could also say how anal you are about audio quality that would be great.

how good are they? are they worth the money? (they look kinda cheap)

here's the link to the apple store:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70803/wo/8y2thInAaZ8m3BfOg3x2OMRq4tx/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.10.11.0.1.5.1.1.1.1.0.3#reviewsanch or

thanks.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-07, 02:37

You can't be that anal if you're asking us, but your choices always confounded me. Sony electronics above all else? Mercedes-Benz above all other luxury autos?

Headphones.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-11-07, 04:40

Why do people always link to the apple store when it has a time limit????
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-07, 04:47

Why do people ever buy anything from the Apple Store other than Macs?

BTW, you might want to spend a little extra and buy the ProMedia 2.1s. Not the GMX A 2.1s. The older set has 200W total power (vs. 78 total watts) and is THX-certified. Downside is the original set costs $174 shipped from NewEgg, vs. $132.

Personally my Z-560s are suiting me well. Having sound in all directions is very nice.

Last edited by Luca : 2004-11-07 at 04:58.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-11-07, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
You can't be that anal if you're asking us, but your choices always confounded me. Sony electronics above all else? Mercedes-Benz above all other luxury autos?

Headphones.

Well I've actually lost interest in Sony since their products haven't been living up to their name as they used to. And I was very dissapointed with the MDR-EX71SL, what a waste of money.

I wasn't going to buy these speakers from the apple store, but rather this refurbished one:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/produ...ue&rmore=False

The more expensive one that Luca is talking about is kinda out of my price range. Any other speakers recommendations would be appreciated, though it's such a subjective thing.

for example, many people enjoy the JBL creatures, a system which I find to be not that great. I listened to the soundsticks and they sounded mediocre.

Thanks.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-11-07, 12:58

If you want the best 2.1 around then look no further than Bose.

They are called the Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System and they beat everything hands down. They are the clearest, most natural sounding speakers I have ever heard. Definately worth your while to look in to.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-11-08, 01:31

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-11-08, 01:54

Why do you say that?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-08, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Why do you say that?
Almost everything they make is just very warm. There is a saying "if its got not highs and its got now lows, it has to be BOSE."

If you are looking for the best sound you can get, know you won't get it from speakers like that. Since you don't want to spend too much, and I'd guess around $150 or so, I'd check out Shure e3's.

Shure e3 (never used them, but supposed to be very good)

-or-

Etymotic's ER-6i (very good, but sort of cool, an equalizer like iTunes set to pop will warm them up the slight bit needed)
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-08, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
If you are looking for the best sound you can get, know you won't get it from speakers like that. Since you don't want to spend too much, and I'd guess around $150 or so, I'd check out Shure e3's.

Shure e3 (never used them, but supposed to be very good)

-or-

Etymotic's ER-6i (very good, but sort of cool, an equalizer like iTunes set to pop will warm them up the slight bit needed)
The ER-6i sound better than the e3c to me, and they're about $50 cheaper at most shops. My one beef with the ER-6i is how thin the cord is. The cord is incredibly microphonic as it scrapes against even your own shirt. In addition, the cord just feels flimsy especially around the y-split and it tangles easily.

The ER-6i also come with triple flange earpieces, so you won't have to pay extra for them as you would with the e3c. iPod owners will appreciate the white cord as well...
ast3r3x

2004-11-08, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
The ER-6i sound better than the e3c to me, and they're about $50 cheaper at most shops. My one beef with the ER-6i is how thin the cord is. The cord is incredibly microphonic as it scrapes against even your own shirt. In addition, the cord just feels flimsy especially around the y-split and it tangles easily.

The ER-6i also come with triple flange earpieces, so you won't have to pay extra for them as you would with the e3c. iPod owners will appreciate the white cord as well...
I've heard that the ER-6i do sound better than the e3c. So I believe you

Any wire earphones will get tangled, my apple earbuds did, my er-6i's did, and my e5's do. The ER-6i are so much more comfortable then the E5's to tell you the truth though. As for the cord being microphonic, true, but I found that using the shirt clip greatly reduced this. Some people don't like in ear headphones though because you can hear everything, some hear their heart beat, some hear their breathing, some swallowing. I don't hear very much of anything though <-- guess I'm lucky, or the music is too loud
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-11-08, 08:36

Would the etymotic be a big improvement over the sony mdr-ex71sl?

My biggest complaint with the sony ones is that the high pitches are louder than the mids and lows, and in order to hear the mids and lows, the volume would be at a level that the high pitches would really hurt my ears. Just reducing the volume makes them sound really bad.

At first i thought I got a defective pair but this summer I actually did a hearing check at a hearing lab/hospital and turns out I can hear a bit more on the high spectrum than the average person.

So I'm thinking since it's not a problem with the sony, the etymotic may be the same? I don't know if they made the sony ones peak at high end on purpose. Speakers don't seem to have the same effect because the sound source isn't so close to my ears.
usurp

2004-11-08, 10:47

i have the Shure E2s, i chose these over the er-6 because the shures were cheaper and they sound more "fun".

when it comes to the E3s vs ER-6s its like the SNES vs Genesis war all over again.
The E3 has deeper sound while the ER has a higher one is what i understood.
So it depends what you are listening to.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
ast3r3x

2004-11-09, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i have the Shure E2s, i chose these over the er-6 because the shures were cheaper and they sound more "fun".

when it comes to the E3s vs ER-6s its like the SNES vs Genesis war all over again.
The E3 has deeper sound while the ER has a higher one is what i understood.
So it depends what you are listening to.
Regaurdless of which earbuds are better, SNES sucked

ER-6i are supposed to have a richer bass then the ER-6. They only go up to 16kHz though which I didn't notice but thought was odd.

stevegong, what are you listening to exactly? computer, ipod?

Both the iPod and iTunes have a equalizer you could tone down the high end if it bothers you.
usurp

2004-11-09, 15:49

u must have owned a genesis. the snes did not suck. check out MK2 on the SNES and MK2 on the genesis. we had Mode 7 and the Super FX chip also. SNES ruled baby!

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-09, 15:51

Quote:
OMG blasphemy!!!!!

Quote:
Swingle Singers.

ast3r3x

2004-11-09, 16:11

Just be glad N64 wasn't as horrible as SNES.

One thing you can't top...SEGA channel!
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-11-09, 23:04

Quote:

ER-6i are supposed to have a richer bass then the ER-6. They only go up to 16kHz though which I didn't notice but thought was odd.

Both the iPod and iTunes have a equalizer you could tone down the high end if it bothers you.

I mainly listen on the computer and recently have been encoding all new music at apple lossless.

I thought about the equilizer, tried it, but when put to a comfortable listening level, the music just didn't sound right. It's like if the highs are normally piercing, but if I decrease them a little, the overall music just sounds dull.

I listen to a lot of classical music and some vocal. Unfortunately I don't listen to the swingle singers anymore.
usurp

2004-11-10, 01:52

The Sega Dreamcast, now that is the best console that was ever created. wayyy ahead of its time. The second best is the NeoGeo AES. I would have it first but the games are too fucking expensive you know. Last year I found a brand new boxes NeoGeo at this shop in Kuwait and he sold it to me for only 200$. Really cheap considering boxed and new they were being sold online for 1200$ each.

http://unex-t.com/neogeo/

Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-10, 04:35

ast3r3x...

The Genesis had an 8 MHz 68000 which was vastly superior to the SNES's 3.x MHz 65836, but that was about it. The Genesis only had a 9-bit color palette (512 colors), and it could only display 64 of them on-screen at a time. SNES could display 256 colors at a time, out of a palette of 32768. The video and audio hardware in the SNES simply trounced their Genesis counterparts.

usurp's example is spot on. Just try to compare between the Genesis and SNES versions of Mortal Kombat 2, both of which were done by Acclaim for Midway.
ast3r3x

2004-11-10, 06:43

...I am still going to have to cop out with SEGA channel, which you simply can't beat.

Any case, I'm waiting for Road Rash to come out for XBOX
ast3r3x

2004-11-10, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
I mainly listen on the computer and recently have been encoding all new music at apple lossless.

I thought about the equilizer, tried it, but when put to a comfortable listening level, the music just didn't sound right. It's like if the highs are normally piercing, but if I decrease them a little, the overall music just sounds dull.

I listen to a lot of classical music and some vocal. Unfortunately I don't listen to the swingle singers anymore.
You will hear a sound quality increase from your Sony ear buds to the ER-6i's. The problem is you seem to favor music that doesn't recreate the highs so pristinely. So I'm not sure you you'll like them, and I've never heard the E3c. I have only compared the iPod ear buds, E5c, and my ER-6i...well and I used to have a pair of AIWA ones a which were the most comfortable ever.

E5c music sounds so much richer and fuller then anything else. ER-6i could hit lows, but I felt it was best at mids and highs. iPod ear buds sound like mud.
usurp

2004-11-11, 02:03

ast3r3x last year i bought a Panasonic 3DO so I can play the wonderful RoadRash. I love that game. And the original Need For Speed on the 3DO.. just amazing!