AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

How to make a camera look beat up?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to make a camera look beat up?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-05-19, 19:11

I'm going on a backpacking trip to western china, xinjiang, next to kazakhstan. I've never been there so I don't know how safe things are.

Basically, I want to avoid the situation where someone threatens to take my life if I don't give them my Nikon D70.

The solution? Make it look beat up and trashy (without doing it any irreparable damage (including cosmetic)). I'm thinking of putting duct tape on it, but I can't think of any other original ideas.

Please give me some more ideas to make it look as beat up as convincingly possible. I will promise to post a picture of my beat up camera when I rough it up before my trip in a week.

THanks to all!
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-19, 19:23

nevermind

Last edited by The Return of the 'nut : 2005-05-19 at 19:45.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-05-19, 19:31

What do you mean. Making a camera or electronics seem unattractive totally works from what I can tell. A little duct tape is good (gaffers tape is better = no sticky residue) and its not like it is overkill. Oh, and don't wear a strap that says Digital in large white-on-black letters like mine.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-05-19, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
What do you mean. Making a camera or electronics seem unattractive totally works from what I can tell. A little duct tape is good (gaffers tape is better = no sticky residue) and its not like it is overkill. Oh, and don't wear a strap that says Digital in large white-on-black letters like mine.
I don't know, I would never think it would work. I also wonder who's going to mug him when he's backpacking. But, who knows. I would think a generic camera case, maybe a slipcase if one is made for his camera would do the trick.

If I were a thief I don't think tape on a camera would change my mind of taking it.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-05-19, 20:02

In popular vacation spots, material thefts are usually sold to make money. Otherwise they could just rob you.
Gregg
BANNED

2005-05-19, 21:23

Just trade me your D70 for my crappy little Sony and you are all set! I am willing to make the sacrifice for your safety.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-19, 21:50

Outwit them thieves.
Make evildoers think twice before being seen pawning anything so pathetically lame.

Carry it in a busted up styrofoam cooler with duct tape and a distinct fishy smell.
Cover the whole thing with Hello Kitty stickers they wouldn't be caught dead holding.
Make it so they don't even want to touch your stuff. Think garlic and vampires.

For maximum effect once in country, dispense with the cooler and just use a gutted fish.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-05-19, 22:01

Use a coffee cup lid and string as a lens cap.
Use black masking tape to cover up the "Nikon" logo.
Or simply put the whole camera inside a clean but tattered looking hiking socks. Then cut out the necessary holes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-05-19, 23:11

Easy.
Buy an old busted SLR that resembles your digi-cam and make them REALLY resemble each other. Whenever you use the real camera be sure to make it obvious that you are putting it back into your case. Be ready to pull out the fake and look distressed when you hand it over to them.

If you tech down the camera well enough (with the suggestions from above) you may never have to face the situation. Otherwise, buy LOTS of memory cards and take them out and hide them away from the camera until you get them safely downloaded and stored out of harm's way.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-05-20, 13:51

i live in china at the moment and don't bother trying to beat up your camera

china is the safest place i have ever lived with regards to personal safety... especially with regards to theft and muggings... i lived lived in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and North Carolina and traveled to more than two dozen countries and china beats them all.... the biggest personal safety issue in china is traffic, crime is a nonissue....

i frequently shoot with my 20d even with my large white 70-200 4L USM....

i feel more comfortable shooting with that camera here than i would back in Raleigh, NC where i went to university.

you can walk around at night pretty much anywhere in china without a care in the world

the government here deals with crime so swiftly and severely that crime isn't too big a deal.... some cities such as Chengdu, Shanghai etc have some crime, but most of it is drugs and it is considerably less than anywhere in the western world.

some of the tourist cities may have petty pickpocketing but thats it.....

china executes more criminals that most other countries combined.... net result? very very few repeat offenders.....

instead of getting lots of memory cards just get an iPod photo and one card.... much more cost effective..... three to four 2GB sticks will be as much as an iPod and if you are like me you could fill up a 2GB card every 2-3 days if you are shooting RAW

get a camera backpack.... one that holds your gear (lenses & filters) and works as a day pack.....you'll find it very convenient

i recommend a monopod since a tripod is usually to bulky to travel with...

if you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM
ipaqrat

2005-05-20, 16:26

Maybe in rural hiking countries, maybe the bandits are more likely to target an old school looking SLR that can work wherever there's old school film processing and old school batteries. Imagine their surprise when, in their rush to snatch a old, broken in nikkormat or leica, they end up with something so high tech...
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-05-20, 18:41

Thanks for all the suggestions...

I've been to Beijing and Shanghai, and yes, I'll agree that they are very safe, and I actually do feel safer there than when I'm in the US.

However, I've never been to Xinjiang, the westernmost part of China where things may be a bit more sketchy.

Xinjiang is not a very popular vacation spot. The people there are mostly muslim, not very well off. If anyone's interested, this is what it's like: http://www.synaptic.bc.ca/gallery/xinjiang.htm

I have an Epson P-2000 (better than ipod photo for this task) to store my photos, and I guess it would suck if they wanted me to hand that over as well.

Has anyone here been in a mugging situation? This is pretty much the first time I'm travelling by myself in unfamiliar lands...
Amadeus

2005-05-20, 20:29

You just need some camouflage of some kind.
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2005-05-20, 20:35

Rome is safe from camera thieves? <news to me>

Better to have something worth stealing than to have nothing. People get killed for having not enough. If you have little of value, your life is worth less to a thief.

Be smart about brandishing it about but don't be meek about going places. Showing some confidence and being relaxed in your surroundings goes a long way towards telling people not to mess with you.
rasmits
rams it

2005-05-20, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
i lived lived in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and North Carolina
Ah yes, all the exotic places... heh
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-21, 07:53

Pink gaffer's tape.
Use water-soluable silver marker to make fake scratches.
Keep it in a lunch box.
Hide it inside an old Brownie camera, cutting out necessary holes.
"1 megapixel interpolated" sticker.

Or, if you don't want anybody to get near it, slap a big "Designed Exclusively for Windows XP" sticker on it.

The possibilities are endless...

You ask me for a hamburger.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-05-21, 10:06

I find that looking sketchier than the next guy works well. If you look dangerously crazy, somebody else is more appealing to mess with.

Hmmm, maybe that's why everyone looks all pissed off in pittsburgh?

Edit: Looking at that picture gallery, it is definitely worth taking your nice camera. Amazing stuff!
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-05-22, 09:29

i live in hebei province in one of the bigger cities but not a touristy place in any way.... it is 'real' china so-to-speak

beijing and shanghai are more the China that the Chinese government wants you to see..... it's almost a shame to see how much the overrestore all their old buildings and landmarks

it will be the same in Xinjiang... i can't tell you about kazakhstan, though.....

i would say you would be as likely to be met with any sort of physical violence as a foreigner in china as winning the lottery in the US..... it simply doesn't happen here.....

the biggest issue i can see with a journalist quality camera and being in Xinjiang is to not take photos of things that the you would think the government may deem "sensitive." i.e. use your best judgement...... there are certain things not to take photos of.... no photos of police, military, bridges, public utilities etc..... i've not been to Xinjiang yet, but i am under the impression that there is a similar 'human rights' climate to tibet, but they are problems that don't affect travelers....

basically, you'll be safe with your camera as long as you use your common sense when choosing your subject matter......

i know when you come to China you are specifically supposed to declare professional and prosumer level photographic and especially cinematographic equipment.... i know i tried to do so, but no one in customs spoke enough english to get it done.