User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Verizon's Samsung SCH-a950 cell phone

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Verizon's Samsung SCH-a950 cell phone
jsk173

2006-01-25, 16:38

There is a full-page ad for the Samsung SCH-a950 cellular phone (Verizon) in today's USA Today. Looks like a cool phone -- can store music on it, etc. -- but the ad specifically mentions "Windows PC." Anyone have one? Can I get some music onto it from my PowerBook or are these things truly only compatible with Windows? Thanks.
HOM
The Elder™

2006-01-25, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk173
There is a full-page ad for the Samsung SCH-a950 cellular phone (Verizon) in today's USA Today. Looks like a cool phone -- can store music on it, etc. -- but the ad specifically mentions "Windows PC." Anyone have one? Can I get some music onto it from my PowerBook or are these things truly only compatible with Windows? Thanks.
You cannot get music on to it from your Mac.

The phone only supports DRM'ed Windows Media files. It will not play MP3's or any other file. The only way for you to get music on to it would be to buy it directly from the phone.

Yet another reason why Verizon=Worst.Company.Ever

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
jsk173

2006-01-25, 20:14

Are you sure? The ad says the phone has a removable disk for loading music onto the phone.
HOM
The Elder™

2006-01-25, 20:34

Yes I am sure and yes, you cannot play back MP3 files.

From HoFo
Quote:
Assuming you have the 950, I would have to say that I havent heard of a way to re-enable the mp3 player on it like 8100. Someone post and please prove me wrong
Verizon, as part of their deal with Microsoft for lower cost OTA/PC downloads has diabled MP3 playback on all of their V-Cast Music phones. They are even taking away the feature from already released and in customer's hands phones if they upgrade the firmware to support V-Cast Music.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
flail

2006-01-25, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Yes I am sure and yes, you cannot play back MP3 files.

From HoFo

Verizon, as part of their deal with Microsoft for lower cost OTA/PC downloads has diabled MP3 playback on all of their V-Cast Music phones. They are even taking away the feature from already released and in customer's hands phones if they upgrade the firmware to support V-Cast Music.
Quite the contrary, the 8100 and the RAZR V3c both can play MP3 audio right out of the box (Along with VCast Music Serice).
HOM
The Elder™

2006-01-25, 21:19

Quoth Verizon Rep:

Quote:
Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, is being built around Microsoft's digital-media technology. As part of that service, Verizon decided to eliminate the phones' previous ability to play MP3 files, hoping to keep the phones' music features simple, a company spokesman said.

...SNIP...
"We don't view this as restricting functionality," said Jesse Money, Verizon's director of consumer multimedia services. "We wanted one music player on the phone with a simple and consistent look and feel throughout the player. If we were to leave (the MP3 support intact), then there would be two players with different experiences."