User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

pdf to word?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
pdf to word?
tptgeek1

2005-02-08, 20:28

Is there a quick, free way to convert pdf files to word documents? I have a Powerbook G4 with Microsoft Word for Mac. Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-08, 20:39

Free? None that I'm aware of.

Commercial? Yup. pdf2office.

This is not an easy thing to do because PDFs and Word documents are vastly different on many levels. That's why you won't find a lot of these programs. Of course, if you don't mind doing things by hand, you could simply copy-and-paste the text out of the PDF.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tptgeek1

2005-02-08, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Free? None that I'm aware of.

Commercial? Yup. pdf2office.

This is not an easy thing to do because PDFs and Word documents are vastly different on many levels. That's why you won't find a lot of these programs. Of course, if you don't mind doing things by hand, you could simply copy-and-paste the text out of the PDF.
Thanks...I'll check the link.
sambqt

2005-02-13, 16:45

Appleworks will open pdf files. After I shelled out the $$ for pdf2office, I made this discovery. Depending on what you want to do with the pdf, you may prefer Appleworks. I just wanted to be able to fill in pdf forms and was able to do it easily with Appleworks.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-02-13, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambqt
Appleworks will open pdf files. After I shelled out the $$ for pdf2office, I made this discovery. Depending on what you want to do with the pdf, you may prefer Appleworks. I just wanted to be able to fill in pdf forms and was able to do it easily with Appleworks.
Does this work with Pages? I tried opening a few PDF's, and Pages said something like "The document whatever.pdf coud not be opened." Perhaps there's something I'm missing?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-13, 21:15

All AppleWorks does is insert the PDF as a giant embedded image. It doesn't allow you to edit anything. Of course, if you just want to write over top of it, that'll be fine.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.