The new iPad!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The new iPad!
Page 11 of 18 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15  Next Last Thread Tools
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-27, 16:23

No Verizon, no textbooks, though ebooks by publishers using the ePub standard were mentioned. I assume textbooks *can* come to this device, especially if they make ePub format books already, but nothing specifically for this device.

Hassan i Sabbah

2010-01-27, 16:26

Is this tennis

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-27, 16:28

Yeah, those were a couple of heavily rumored items that didn't pan out. This thing, IMO, makes all kinds of sense in a school/university setting. If the screen is good enough for the latest fiction bestseller, it should be so for graphics and illustration-heavy textbooks.

I hope that's something that becomes a big part of this (because that will be a huge purchase spur, I believe).

As for Verizon, that may have just been a lot of built-up wishful thinking by many? Or maybe the final deals and signings weren't quite in place and they weren't able to say anything about it today? Maybe later, before launch?

rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-01-27, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Or maybe the final deals and signings weren't quite in place and they weren't able to say anything about it today? Maybe later, before launch?

It feels to me like they should have just not said anything about this product until they worked out some more of those deals.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-01-27, 16:37

I wonder if the McGraw-Hill guy got his company pulled from the presentation? There was a gaping hole where textbook the discussion should have been. I mean "Liberal Arts"? Come on, you know that was a slide for the textbook discussion. And textbooks are going to be so awesome on this thing. Inline rich media so you don't need to use a CD-ROM or browser? Biology would have been interesting to me if I could see pretty moving pictures.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2010-01-27, 16:37

To me, it's a lounging around computer, as Wrao put it, a toy. But for me to buy it (and I do a lot of lounging around so I thought it would be pretty suitable) it needs to have multitasking. When I'm browsing the web or watching video I always have an IM application open in the background. Without the ability to do that I'm afraid I'm out. It does look damn sexy though (the hardware anyway) I find it really strange that an Apple product seems to be let down by the OS.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-27, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I wonder if the McGraw-Hill guy got his company pulled from the presentation? There was a gaping hole where textbook the discussion should have been. I mean "Liberal Arts"? Come on, you know that was a slide for the textbook discussion. And textbooks are going to be so awesome on this thing. Inline rich media so you don't need to use a CD-ROM or browser? Biology would have been interesting to me if I could see pretty moving pictures.
Exactly. I thought the same thing when the book stuff ended and there was no mention of textbooks.

"Um, there's a big hole here...".

You're probably right. McGraw-Hill got themselves "Steve-inated" from today's proceedings because that guy ran his mouth on CNBC yesterday.

Goon.

Seriously, companies could probably make a great product designing iPad-friendly textbooks. Just simple things like built-in study guides or chapter quizzes...10-15 questions in a floating box that appears from the margin, and you click on it and it spins around to reveal the answers? And animated, interactive diagrams and graphics...maps, the human body, whatever. Touch this muscle/bone/organ and it responds and moves accordingly? Tons of ways for textbooks to "come to life", where you're more directly involved and immersed. Seems like all the pieces are there?

solinari6

2010-01-27, 16:43

All this talk of textbooks got me thinking ... can this thing print? I'm assuming it can somehow, did they cover that when they talked about iWork?

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-01-27, 16:44

I'm not quite sure some people are seeing the forest through the trees here.

The iPad will make a great mobile device but unlike a iPod Touch/iPhone, it also makes a flexible
home computer as well. A simple and small mount on the wall makes it Picture Frame or in the kitchen
the perfect cooking/recipe accessory.

The extra size and resolution are really going to open up the platform for more uses like Home Automation
or distribution (note it supports 802.11n for fast networking)

Plus Apple seems to be setting the trend for Apps. Whereas today an iPhone app is spendy at $4.99 the iPad apps will likely
avg around 7 or $8 a pop. Developers should be licking their chops at the abiltiy to start moving their clientele upstream.

omgwtfbbq

zsummers
Avast!

2010-01-27, 16:45

Start with this, and imagine that the book is regular sized...

Now look at this, and imagine that Steve is holding an iPhone...

ZOMG. "Here at Apple, we wanted to create that third category without giving up functionality. We couldn't shrink the device... so we shrunk the people!"

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-01-27, 16:59

Still waiting for the new Newton. Apple sux!

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2010-01-27, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post
Is this tennis

Yes, it is!

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-01-27, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Quote:
Exactly. I thought the same thing when the book stuff ended and there was no mention of textbooks.

"Um, there's a big hole here...".

You're probably right. McGraw-Hill got themselves "Steve-inated" from today's proceedings because that guy ran his mouth on CNBC yesterday.

Goon.

Steve: 'Some of you may have heard yesterday were going to announce a huge partnership deal with a major publisher of textbooks...
<crowd chuckles>...
Steve: 'Instead we've decided to pull back from the deal, do it better ourselves... and crush them'.
<crowd goes wild>

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

rdlomas

2010-01-27, 17:04

Quote:
Best Post of the Thread.

You nailed it.
I think it definitely remains to be seen if they "nailed it".

Even my Aunt, who's totally computer un-savvy, has been using iChat video to see grandkids on the MacBook we got her and she loves to use iPhoto with her iTunes running.

All of that, apparently, is beyond what the iPad can do (for now). That's what I'm confused about with this device.

Also, I really really don't like how it needs a bunch of connectors for things like an AC adapter, SD card, USB, etc... That seems very "un-Apple like" to me.

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-01-27, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post
I think it definitely remains to be seen if they "nailed it".

Even my Aunt, who's totally computer un-savvy, has been using iChat video to see grandkids on the MacBook we got her and she loves to use iPhoto with her iTunes running.

All of that, apparently, is beyond what the iPad can do (for now). That's what I'm confused about with this device.

Also, I really really don't like how it needs a bunch of connectors for things like an AC adapter, SD card, USB, etc... That seems very "un-Apple like" to me.
The connectors are for curmudgeons who haven't realized that the web excels at file transfer because it's a global, always-on network. People get stuck in their old world modalities... "I take the picture...I remove the flash card and place it into a reader" The adaptor in this case is the person and not the device. These could be called legacy adapters now.

omgwtfbbq

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
The connectors are for curmudgeons who haven't realized that the web excels at file transfer because it's a global, always-on network. People get stuck in their old world modalities... "I take the picture...I remove the flash card and place it into a reader" The adaptor in this case is the person and not the device. These could be called legacy adapters now.
I agree with this. Give me Dropbox, and I'll be fine.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-01-27, 17:19

BTW any takers on how quickly Apple will go into "back order" status once they send out the email announcements? They do have quite a bit of time to stock-pile these puppies but then again only so many parts to go around....

...into the light of a dark black night.

Wrao
Yarp

2010-01-27, 17:20

Well. I am one of the few(bite me) people who actually predicted that the iPod would be as big of a success as it is. When I saw it I knew that everyone would want it regardless of the price. It was exactly the type of thing that MP3 players needed to be. The iPhone was easier to bank on being a success since by then Apple had already gone mainstream. But, still, the reasons for why the iPhone succeeded are still very similar to why the iPod succeeded. Both platforms took existing concepts and made them "better".

iPad, is kind of a new thing, and for that reason, I have a harder time grasping how it can be successful. We all knew mp3 players were eventually going to take over from CD players, so when the iPod came along as the best mp3 player, it just made a lot of sense. Likewise, we all have cell phones, and we all knew that they are only getting more and more advanced and capable, so when iPhone came along being almost like a full-functioning computer in phone form but without 'teh suck' it made a lot of sense.

There isn't really anything analogous to this with iPad. In fact, if anything the exact opposite has existed. Where tablet pcs have tried to exist for decades, always failing due to... well, just being kind of pointless/redundant/weird. It's not a market that has been waiting for a champion, it's a market that doesn't even really need to be there in the first place.

All that said, the $499 entry point is hot, and that will definitely grab more sales than it will scare people away. Heck, even the $699 price point isn't repulsive. I don't think this product will revolutionize much or be much of a game changer for any particular market or industry. But, it is really neat for what it is.

rdlomas

2010-01-27, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I agree with this. Give me Dropbox, and I'll be fine.
I'm confused by this. What is "old world" about wanting to put some digital photos on the device? How else, besides connecting USB or a Memory Card, does "grandma" or "Dad" get pictures onto the pad? I'd hardly call that a "legacy" usage of the device, right?

I just keep hearing how this is a great "simple media device", yet some strange decisions seem to have been made if that's the case. (in my opinion anyways)

The case is not small. Surely a MagSafe, USB port and SD card slot could have been integrated, no?

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 17:32

Quote:
I'm confused by this. What is "old world" about wanting to put some digital photos on the device? How else, besides connecting USB or a Memory Card, does "grandma" or "Dad" get pictures onto the pad? I'd hardly call that a "legacy" usage of the device, right?
Flickr, photobucket, Picasa online...there are so many ways...

Plus you can just hook it up to your PC or Mac through USB, bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.

You got problems if you can't figure out how to get something onto this. How do people get pics onto their iPhones, besides the camera?

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-01-27, 17:32

To me, if it just ran a simplified form of OSX it would have been perfect.

It would address:

1. Multitasking
2. Flash
3. Silverlight

Spend the rest of your time figuring out a clean/fast way to run iPhone apps in OSX, port said product to the full OSX. Double win on that count. You can still run all iPhone apps. on the iPad, and now you could sell iPhone apps. to regular OSX users who might want to buy a game or two here and there.

You have a computer that runs a phoneOS, instead of a computer OS. I am disappoint.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 17:34

That would've been nice, but then it would compete with the MacBook. They're savvy over there in Cupertino.

I do hope we see touch-enabled OS X in the future.

rdlomas

2010-01-27, 17:39

Quote:

Plus you can just hook it up to your PC or Mac through USB, bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.

You got problems if you can't figure out how to get something onto this. How do people get pics onto their iPhones, besides the camera?
I don't "have problems". It's not about me personally. To me, this device has no appeal. But I was speaking to those who are referring to it as a great "simple computer" for "mom and dad" or the "Grandparents".

Many of them would like to just plug in an SD card or USB cable and zip their photos into iPhoto with no adapters and no fuss, you know?

Like I said, it just seems unlike Apple to not include some of those basic ports that would cater well to this device.

Also, one of the things I find really UNexciting about this is that iTunes and your computer are once again the gatekeeper. That's fine of the iPhone/Touch, but I was expecting a bit more out of a tablet.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 17:40

It's really hilarious watching the Engadget guys playing with this thing.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I was too, but then I realized that video chat would probably annihilate the battery far too much to 'safely' incorporate. Particularly if it was at full screen resolution and over 3g. Similarly, a rear-facing camera would be kind of neat because the viewfinder would be like a big digital frame, but again, that'd eat up battery fiercely. I do think we will see it down the line though.
Agreed, but I do wish Apple would let us make that decision. I'll keep it in that nice keyboard dock when I want to do video chat, you know? They should have at least given us the option, and the lack of camera is one of my biggest disappointments with the iPad.

I think the iPad is pretty close to where I'd need it to be to consider getting one. iWork is nice, but iLife would have been nice too - iWeb especially. USB ports without needing an adapter would be good. That said, at least the dock > USB adapter gives us the option to plug in a USB card reader, and I like that. And have you seen how awesome iPhoto is on the iPad? It's freakin' SWEET. And an FTP app or a dropbox app would be awesome too - I wouldn't need a Finder for this, the ability to send photos from iPhoto's library would be just dandy.

A pen-type input device and some image manipulation apps would bring a whole new dimension of usability to the iPad. We'll have to see if that happens. Multitasking would seem like an obvious need too, as a device like this seems like it's well suited to chat apps which are only really useful if they stay running while you do other things, not to mention things like Pandora. Maybe this will come with 4.0. I'm not prepared to dismiss the idea that the iPad can become vastly more usable, I just hope that Apple is working towards that.

As it stands right now I would love to have one but have no idea what I would do with it. My needs are basically met right now between my iPhone and my Mac Pro, with the exception of the ability to do any real mobile computing. With some of these things above implemented, I could see using the iPad as opposed to a MBP for what I'd need to do while on the road.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 17:41

Quote:
I

Many of them would like to just plug in an SD card or USB cable and zip their photos into iPhoto with no adapters and no fuss, you know?
And why couldn't you do this?

rdlomas

2010-01-27, 17:42

Quote:
And why couldn't you do this?
Did you read what I wrote about no adapters?

And what about MagSafe?

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2010-01-27, 17:44

Quote:

I guess for me if I can skip the sync with another device, less of an iPhone/slave device in that sense, the better. I welcome a USB plug so it isn't such a lsave to a desktop or, more strangely, a notebook.

rdlomas

I'm just having trouble getting 100% onboard with this device. No worries, not all Apple stuff is for everyone, no question about it.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

Quote:
Did you read what I wrote about no adapters?

And what about MagSafe?
Sorry missed that.