Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September 9 Media Event
Page 1 of 10 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-08-28, 12:16

Officially announced.

Time to get out the tinfoil!

So, the event is scheduled at the location of the Macintosh's original unveiling 30 years ago.

The location seats 3x people over that Yurbuh Bwaina thing.

There is a cryptic "Wish We could Say More" invite.

A large structure is being built that may or may not be Apple's.

Let the hype and speculation begin in ernest.

My one and only "prediction" is that Tim Cook finally gets on stage and says, "Thank you for attending. This has been a really great event and we're really excited about these new products. Thank you, again, and have a wonderful afternoon.

"… Oh, as my old friend used to say, "we have One More Thing to talk about!""

*gasp*

*awe*

*thunderous applause*

It's the 30th anniversary Mac, Steve Jobs edition!!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-08-28, 12:53

It's also earlier than expected for the invites to go out. IIRC, they typically send them out a week before the event. Not sure that it means anything but just curious.

I also received an email reminder that the Back to School discounts end on Sept 9th. I got the email a couple of hours before the invites were released. So there's that.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-08-28, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I also received an email reminder that the Back to School discounts end on Sept 9th. I got the email a couple of hours before the invites were released. So there's that.
I thought the same thing. I would have expected invites next Mon/Tue
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-08-28, 14:25

I take the "wish we could say more" as Apple gently letting folks down and telling them not to expect a "bigger" (more) iPhone.

Just kidding.

Interesting...the choice of venue, the construction, all these rumors swirling around out there, the fact that we've really yet to see the sort of awesomeness teased by both Cook and Cue for 2014, etc. Might wind up being one of those "biggie" events that comes along every now and then (I've only witnessed a couple...the original iMac unveiling, which got everything rolling their way again and led to the whole "iEra". And, of course, less than a decade later the famous 2007 iPhone unveiling (which, let's face it, is never gonna be topped for several reasons that will never come around or align again, unfortunately...it was the perfect product at the perfect time, unveiled by the perfect person to be doing such a thing).

But there's definitely room for another event to come in second to that, sure.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-08-28, 15:06

Siri is coming to the desktop and to the wrist-top.

Boom.

Saved you $10.

Go see a different movie now.

#theSpoilerKid

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2014-08-30, 11:08

Does anyone think a new Thunderbolt display (possibly 4K) is going to be announced?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-08-30, 12:54

Most likely not, this is a iPhone/iWatch event. In any case, other than the 2013 Mac Pro, can any Macs even drive a 4k display?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-03, 15:54

The idiocy begins.

Yeah, I know it's become a "thing" (and people/companies use it for marketing reasons, social media antics, attention-whoring, "reporting", etc.).

But still...

This sort of thing was cool, funny and novel - barely - in 2007-2008. Now? It's like waiting in line because Sears is unveiling a new car battery or lawnmower.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2014-09-03, 17:05

If Jony Ive designed a lawnmower I'd be in that queue. ;-)

If I had a lawn...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-03, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The idiocy begins.

Yeah, I know it's become a "thing" (and people/companies use it for marketing reasons, social media antics, attention-whoring, "reporting", etc.).

But still...

This sort of thing was cool, funny and novel - barely - in 2007-2008. Now? It's like waiting in line because Sears is unveiling a new car battery or lawnmower.
Maybe I'm harsh and out of line, but seriously? These people are pretty big pieces of poop. Do they not have lives, families, or jobs? Wtf?! I realize this happens every year but come on....

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-09-03, 17:36

I think most of these people are just there to sell their spots. I'd venture to guess that a few of them most likely homeless.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-03, 17:56

Even still, what are they waiting for? The new iPhone isn't likely to be released until the end of the month.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-03, 18:05

That's what a lot of it is. It's stunt and publicity/marketing for many. But still, as Yontsey asked...no lives? Friends? Family? Job? Hobbies?

I'm not the most social, party-it-up, different-girl-every-night guy going, but even I wouldn't be able to just sit in a lawn chair for 1-2 weeks. For anything (these people will also be among those lining up for Episode VII starting around Thanksgiving 2015, if not before).

It's funny, but it's mostly just kinda sad and idiotic. Sadiotic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Even still, what are they waiting for? The new iPhone isn't likely to be released until the end of the month.
Exactly. Apple's never made them available for sale on the day of the announcement/event. Ever. It's always the first or second Friday afterwards, so these people are looking more at September 12 or 19 (likely the latter, another week-and-a-half) before they're in the stores to buy. Are they going to sit there that long? If Dial and Irish Spring were using their heads, they'd get in on this and dole out some free bars of soap because these people are gonna be disgusting pretty soon.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-09-04, 00:48

Jony Ive in the NYTimes: "Switzerland is fucked"

What the....

unprecedented comment from an Apple executive prior to a major announcement. Pretty pointed and pretty damn exciting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-04, 02:21

Is that a watch thing, I guess? That's not like Apple (or him). That's the kind of thing that can come back to bite you if it doesn't play out as you hope. Honestly, it kinda sounds like something Steve Ballmer would've said about some upcoming, nebulous (and destined-to-fail) Microsoft product.

He must feel pretty good about it all. I'm obviously missing something in all this, because this is the least interesting, exciting thing that's been rumored from Apple in all the years I've followed. I'm curious to see what it is, because there's no way it can just be the stuff we've speculated or assumed.

EDIT: upon further reading, I don't buy it. It's a "is reported to have said..." type of thing, from an anonymous source on the design team. Just doesn't ring true or legit to me. All these years, all these amazing products/designs, and never such talk (or rumors of such a brash statement). Unless that whole "understated humility" thing is a big put-on, I don't buy it.

Context is important. He could've said it, but while laughing and joking with his team, and not meant in any serious way. Something said in jest, but made to sound arrogant or brash if the "he was laughing, and obviously not being serious" part is left out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-04 at 02:50.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-09-04, 04:09

Apple will surely eat into the low-end of big names like Rolex, Omega, Breitling, TAG-Heuer, etc.

I think Patek Phillippe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, and Jaeger-LeCoultre are safe though.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-04, 05:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Apple will surely eat into the low-end of big names like Rolex, Omega, Breitling, TAG-Heuer, etc.
Even that would be a big leap and not one I think will happen imminently. I don’t own a Rolex so I’m not quite qualified to speak on this, but don’t buyers choose one to:
  • buy into a heritage of watchmaking and exploration, an imagined lifestyle of elegance and danger (while growing a belly in the office)
  • buy something Swiss
  • flaunt a bit of wealth
  • derive enjoyment from an entirely mechanical thing
  • own something that will last indefinitely and possibly be given to their children
  • have a ‘Rolex’
… among other things, and not necessarily in that order.

A $400 Apple gadget would satisfy literally none of those wishes. That’s not to say there won’t be a sea change in perceptions that make an iWatch desirable regardless. Maybe the iWatch will be so fantastically useful that people will fall out of love with fine watches because they’re intolerably impractical by comparison. But that’s a big leap, as I said.

If this Ive statement was uttered, it was certainly in jest anyway.

By the way, I do have a beautiful Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde. I wouldn’t part with it for all the iWatches in China. Just saying.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-04, 06:42

That's all true. A fine watch is something that lasts for years, could be handed down to one's children, is meant to be used for a long time, etc.

What does Apple make that fits any of that? Any sort of tech device, by design, is only as good/useful as it is current/compatible. At some point - and well under 10 years, I'd bet - this watch won't be compatible with the latest version of iOS and various companion apps. Obsolescence will be built in. It may work, in basic function (like an iPod from 2002 or whatever), but at some point features and full compatibility will fade.

That aspect alone removes it from the "fine timepiece heritage" thing. Apple won't be happy selling someone a single watch that lasts decades. It'll be like all their stuff...at some point you gotta upgrade. Giving your son your 15-year-old iWatch on your deathbed would be like giving him your busted-ass iPod nano from 2006...he's just gonna roll his eyes and go back to Tweeting on his iPhone 12s.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-04, 11:23

So, the big, secret "box"

My boss, who lived his previous life as a studio engineer, dropped an interesting theory. With all the hoopla now surrounding the possibility that U2 will be performing at this event, he asked, "I wonder if that might be a concert stage for U2?"

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. Announce your new crap, then host a free U2 concert for half a zillion college students all surrounded with banners and ads marketing Apple's new U2 Edition iThing?

Just a thought.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-04, 14:17

I don't understand Apples obsession with U2. Am I the only one that think's they are vastly overrated?
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-09-04, 14:43

The demise of the Swiss watch industry has been predicted many times. The quartz revolution and digital were seen as serious threats to their survival which of course never panned out. They have their ups and downs but I doubt they feel threatened by this device.

And is U2 overrated? Probably though I wouldn't say vastly. Vastly overrated would be REM.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-09-04, 14:49

Vastly overrated would be Pearl Jam. As a Seattle native, to have *that* band be the one that made it biggest in the post-Nirvana vacuum is GALLING. They're McGrunge. :P
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-04, 15:16

Quote:
I don't understand Apples obsession with U2. Am I the only one that think's they are vastly overrated?
No. But, to their credit, they no longer seem to be involving that pud John Mayer in any of their events.

That pic of the big white structure being built last week...you see a row of lighting that the top that is exactly what you'd see at a concert (stage lighting, etc.). Everyone was acting all "what is it?!" and I think I said "it looks like a concert stage", but it must have been at another site/forum because I don't see it here. I just figured they were having some sort of musical guest, and maybe moving it outside for a change? Nice NoCal September weather and all...

Isn't U2 all over the place when it comes to their backing/endorsements? Weren't they "supporting" (or being sponsored by?) Windows or Android something-or-other a year or two ago? I know they were, because when I saw it I thought "I thought they kinda threw in with Apple?"

It's one thing to have celebrity spokespeople who you know are longtime, dedicated and loyal users/fans. They don't have to be bought or "negotiated" with...they use the stuff, and they're happy to be associated with it. But when you have to go after people - who, just last year or so, were stumping for some other platform, that all just rings so hollow and stupid. It's like you're just a "mouthpiece for hire". How can anyone feel good or "inspired" by that? Are people really that malleable and easily-swayed, that they'll change loyalties because their favorite singer or actor is shilling for this company/platform this year (after years of being associated with the competition)?

All those people like Oprah and Rihanna who were nailed Tweeting their love/support for some Android-based (or was it Blackberry? I don't know...) something-or-other...from their iPhone/iPad).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-04 at 15:53.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-04, 15:51

Quote:
No. You are not.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-09-04, 16:14

Bono may be over the top at times but he is a good promoter which is why he's a good frontman. Could you imagine if Eddie Vedder or Michael Stipe did the event? They'd have to open up a suicide hotline afterwards. Those guys are a total bore.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2014-09-04, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
No. But, to their credit, they no longer seem to be involving that pud John Mayer in any of their events.
Ironic, b/c the guy is an avid watch collector.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/video-t...ith-john-mayer

Considering that, on the other hand, may be reason enough not to use him for any iWatch launch!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-04, 17:08

Ah...interesting (and encouraging). iPhone 6 to support one-handed mode. If this is implemented well (and easy to toggle, perhaps via Control Center or a gesture), that could help with things.

Also...U2 denies involvement with iPhone 6 event. Vice Jesus wouldn't lie, right?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-04, 19:28

"They are not performing at the iPhone launch"...they're performing at the iWatch launch. Duh.

It's not just a rumored stage appearance — buzz in the film industry is that Mark Romanek directed U2 in a ad for a new Apple product. And they shut down the Samuel Beckett Bridge in Dublin for a shoot under very tight security...

The gap between 2009's No Line on the Horizon and whatever their next album ends up being is now the longest gap between albums in U2's career, and no upcoming release has been announced. Maybe they'll pull a Beyoncé?

Apple had a relationship with U2 during their low-key (by U2 standards) Elevation and Vertigo tours, but their most recent mega-budget 360 Tour was sponsored by...BlackBerry. Needless to say, that didn't help BlackBerry much (but given the tour's allegedly minimal profitability, it hopefully at least benefitted U2).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-04, 20:07

Yeah, I guess if people do the PR parsing and don't answer the exact question the right way, that leaves wiggle room. The 9th kinda snuck up on me...it's this coming Tuesday! And Apple's going to live-stream it, so that'll be neat to watc...er, view.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-04, 22:24

I think I'm going to take a long lunch that day so I can watch this. I don't have an expectation on what's going to be announced but this is the biggest buzz going into an announcement I've perceived in a long time. Every other event of late has been rather expected where this has a nice real veil of secrecy.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.