AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

My Hamburger Turned Into a Flower!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My Hamburger Turned Into a Flower!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-09, 17:31

Do I stutter?

The hamburger symbol (in mobile mode) on a Squarespace site I manage displayed as a very fancy pink flower instead of the three lines typical of a hamburger, all on the iOS version of Safari and

The particulars:

I used a generic QR code generator to create a link to a specific page on a website.

This QR code worked when I aimed my camera's phone at it, taking me directly the desired URL.

That's when I saw the pink hibiscus (or whatever) instead of the hamburger.

Boy was I confused!

To make sure that the QR code wasn't doing anything hinky I went and used a QR code decoder from a different website to see what it was actually putting out and it was a pure, unadulterated link and not some sort of pass-through thingy.

I wondered if this was unique to Safari in iOS so I tried the link in Chrome in iOS and got the SAME behavior.

A colleague in a different state tried with his iPhone and got the same result: flower, not hamburger.

I've tried viewing it in on a device with iOS 13.3.1 and another device running iOS 14.5.1 and it happens with both OSes.

There seems to be an overly long load time for the page, so could it be a javascript issue?

I looked for the flower emoji in iOS and see that it's the Cherry Blossom emoji.

Stunner, huh?

It's U+1F338 in unicode.

The hamburger symbol in unicode is U+1F354 so I can't imagine how the two symbols could get jumbled UNLESS the page is loading slowly/weird because of javascript malingering?

That's not a thing, is it?

The website does NOT display a flower when viewing it in the Responsive Design Mode in Safari in MacOS.

That's why I keep coming back to slow loading Javascript, but I'm so rarely correct about things like this I must doubt that this is a solution for the weirdness.

Anyhow, it's a pretty flower?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-06-09, 19:39

The offset of exactly 16 is intriguing, normally a power of 2 popping up means a flipped bit.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-09, 20:06

:whoa:

Well now, that's a new thing to me!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-10, 11:05

And here I thought you were an expert on flipped bits?