User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari 15
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-09-21, 10:17

Every year, I listen to the various Apple nerdery podcasts, and roll my eyes when they complain about the latest implementation detail they hate. I just leave it on the default setting, get used to it in a day and move on with my life.

But....Safari 15 may be a step too far for me. The whole "entire window chrome changes colour to match the website" isn't transparent, it's distracting. It makes the chrome more prominent, not less.

I think I'll eventually get used to the tabs, maybe (although I don't love them..) but this colour changing window is weird and irritating.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-21, 10:28

Of all the things I've used since yesterday, Safari is my least favorite. I like the new Weather and Maps okay, and I've already gotten used to Messages and FaceTime. But Safari is taking some time...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-21, 10:56

I haven't updated Safari yet... I will, but haven't because I can't reboot. I'm kinda "worried" about it but will likely just do it, rip the band aide off and deal with it from there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-21, 14:34

The new Safari is a big step backwards, no doubt about it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-21, 16:46

I think I may be the only person who actually likes the chrome changing color in Safari. It may be a bit much at times, but I like it overall.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-09-22, 04:35

who uses the default browser on any os?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-22, 05:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
On iOS and Android, the vast majority of people.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-22, 05:43

I really like the tabs feature on the new Safari.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-22, 05:59

What I love about the new tabs stuff:
  • Tab Groups, at least in principle. I wasn't able to test those in the betas, because sync between devices is only active now. It looks like they're retroactively syncing now, i.e. one I've created in the betas now appear on all devices. Nice. How do I use them? Basically as workspaces for unfinished, long-running tasks — I create a group to research something, like say to do comparison shopping. I can then go away from the group and return to it later. A bit like a live bookmarks folder.
  • (On iOS) swiping between them like swiping between apps. It sometimes triggers the wrong of the two; maybe they'll fine-tune that a little or maybe my muscle memory will improve.
  • (On iOS) swiping from the right-most tab to create a new one. Not a huge thing but nice.

What I don't particularly love:
  • The colors. Turned them off. They're not a huge deal but I don't find them attractive in most cases. I think I kind of like the contrast: tabs should be part of the UI and look distinctly different from the page, so you know they're part of how you use Safari.
  • The style, especially on macOS (I suppose also iPadOS?). They don't look like tabs, and Apple has apparently now done a 180 on what something active looks like. It used to be for three decades that active stuff is darker, but then Big Sur turned that around and made active stuff brighter (which, uh, OK?). But now Safari goes back and makes the active tab brighter?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-22, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
On iOS it’s all the same, just Safari with a skin.
chucker

2021-09-22, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
On iOS it’s all the same, just Safari with a skin.
A browser is far more than a "skin".
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-22, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
...he replied archly, before slamming Harry's fingers with Pilcher's Book of Browsers, volume twelve.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-22, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It’s all WebKit, so at the base it’s same thing with a different skin for the most part, unless you mean Chrome which is just a data collection app.
chucker

2021-09-22, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It’s all WebKit, so at the base it’s same thing with a different skin for the most part, unless you mean Chrome which is just a data collection app.
Yes, the engine is the same. But all kinds of stuff like bookmarks, sync, history, downloads, the way tabs work have nothing to do with it. iCab and Safari are starkly different UIs.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-22, 10:11

UI, skin same thing in my mind. Meh.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-22, 13:23

We sure can be a bunch of pedantic people can't we?

Don't worry, I'm included in that bunch.
chucker

2021-09-22, 13:27

A skin to me is like a theme. Dark, light, colorful, Aqua, Platinum. Winamp famously was very skinnable.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-09-22, 14:21

You guys reminded me to check in on Omniweb and see if the new version was usable yet. The address bar doesn't work, so...no?
chucker

2021-09-22, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
You guys reminded me to check in on Omniweb and see if the new version was usable yet. The address bar doesn't work, so...no?
Ship it!