Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Happy Australia Day!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Happy Australia Day!
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2006-01-25, 04:50

Just wanting to let all you non-Aussies know that tomorrow is Australia day. We have a kick start tonight with a pre-Australia day celebration on TV and here at my place. It's a great day for everyone in Australia.

We celebrate Australia, and what's great about being Australian. I'm pretty thankful for being born here and being raised here. It's the most amazing country. Our people are an amazing diverse people. If you have never been here, i strongly suggest coming over for a visit. I guarantee you'll want to stay for longer.

The land is an amazing land. We have a Great Barrier Reef, beautiful rain-forests, amazing beaches, and a massive fucking rock right in the middle. I love this place. As much as i want to travel i know i'll always come back here, to my home.

We have an amazing Indigenous culture. One that I'm really proud of. There is a fantastic spirituality that is incredible to be apart of.

And one thing i love nearly above all, is the Australian character. Hard working, funny, relaxed, loyal, passionate and drunk.

Happy Australia day!
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-01-25, 05:13

I love the fact that you're jerking off over how great Australia is and nobody has called you a wanker yet.

Oh wait, someone did. Happy Australia Day!
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-25, 05:36

For over a year I have been planning on moving to australia. I can't explain why exactly, but I really want to. What was originally a plan to move there for 4-5 months though has shrunk to maybe a month tops, since I have become more busy in america. So it'd just be a long vacation for now, but one day...
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2006-01-25, 05:58

Happy Australia Day!!!
I'm celebrating by throwing things at non-Australians that are visiting our country or intend to for around a month...

I kid, I kid

jm.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2006-01-25, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I love the fact that you're jerking off over how great Australia is and nobody has called you a wanker yet.

Oh wait, someone did. Happy Australia Day!
Are you serious? Jerking off? No it's called patriotism. Obviously you have none. That's fine, just don't come back to this thread please. In fact why even be in Australia?

Australia day is similar to Bastille Day for France and the 4th of July for The United States. Do you call them wankers when they celebrate or make threads here? Just wondering. People like you piss me off.

Sorry if i miss-read, but I'm assuming your not very patriotic.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-01-25, 06:59

He was playing Trav, drink your beer and be in good cheer... you've got a spiffy country indeed (even with all of the crocodile huntin' & wrasslin')....
i_have_a_face

Send a message via MSN to i_have_a_face  
2006-01-25, 07:17

I love this country of ours...Ahh nothing quite like spending a 39 degree c day standing on a grassy hill under the big wooden scoreboard at Adelaide Oval watching the cricket while drinking copious amounts of alcohol and throwing the empty plastic cups at random people who walk past in the oppostion's colours! Wow I wish everyday was Australia Day! This is by no means sarcasm, its a genuine love of this public holiday! Happy Australia Day everyone, whether you are Australian or not, just go buy some beer and drink! Preferably Coopers Pale Ale the greatest beer ever brewed!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-25, 08:52

I find it interesting (as an Englishman with lots of international friends) the level to which Australians and Canadians are rabidly protective of their music, local delicacies, films, etc.

I guess it's because 70% of the worlds English-language "popular media" is American, and 25% is British, so when a Canadian or Australian band/actor/product makes it really big, it's a very big deal.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh, and Happy Australia Day. Go have a Vegimite Sandwich.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-25, 15:06

Hi trav.

I'd like to wish you and all your Aussie AN compatriots a wonderful Australia Day. It's great having all of you here at AppleNova. You bring a lot of zest and freshness to our forum.

I think it's cool that you guys decided to designate a holiday simply for the purpose of celebrating your love for your country.

I've never visited Australia, but certainly plan to eventually. It looks like a vibrant and exciting nation, filled with energy, optimism, and good will. I liked what I found on google:

Quote:
Our land - Fragile yet enduring. Harsh and extreme, lush and bountiful-a continent like no other. Our ancient land offers boundless opportunity, sustains us and makes us who we are.

Our diversity - A nation of difference and unity. People from the city, the country, different nations and backgrounds; we are one people, living together. Through our diverse beliefs and experiences we learn from each other and grow together.

The indigenous cultures - The rich and resilient spirituality; the knowledge, art and history. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are part of Australia's identity and culture.

Our freedom and democracy - A society built on fundamental rights and responsibilities. Freedom of thought and expression. Participation in government and respect for and equality under the law.

A fair go for all - An enduring spirit of mateship and fairness. A compassionate society committed to access to employment, housing, health and education. Ours is a land of opportunity where we can do anything.

http://www.australiaday.gov.au/area.asp?aID=2
I especially like the "fair go for all" section.

I think Australians and Americans share some personality traits, possibly as a result of our common bond of having settled frontiers in the forming of our young nations. I really like the openness, energy and friendliness that seem to be present in many people in our two countries, but especially in yours.

Again, have a great celebration, and thanks for starting this thread.

(Btw, Barto was just kidding around. I'm sure he's very patriotic. )
OmegaB

2006-01-25, 16:19

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-25, 17:59

Okay, Omega, do you guys have a similar national holiday?
OmegaB

2006-01-25, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Okay, Omega, do you guys have a similar national holiday?
I guess it would be Waitangi Day, though if you read the link you can see that it not exactly a national day of celebration.

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2006-01-25, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav
Are you serious? Jerking off? No it's called patriotism. Obviously you have none. That's fine, just don't come back to this thread please. In fact why even be in Australia?
I'm sorry, (vocal) patriotism is un-Australian, just like caring about religion (other than going to church at Christmas), and not drinking beer are un-Australian. I despise the jingoism which has taken hold of this country in the last decade. It makes me feel ill.

Really.

On the other hand, calling people wankers is almost as quintessentially Australian as tall poppy syndrome and sun cancer. You've got to admit — Barto's got you there.

At any rate, get a life. You're making us look bad in front of the Kiwis.
¡Damned!

2006-01-25, 22:51

A quintessentially Australian post. Good on ya, staph.

Happy Aussie Day to my sisters and brothers down under as well. I miss it.
OmegaB

2006-01-26, 06:38

Congrats on beating Sri Lanka on your day of days.

I was going to have a nice Coopers Sparkling Ale in remembrance of my "Oz Years", but alas I forgot and had a nice vino instead.

And in defense of my "mate" trav, it is nice to see someone who is patriotic, even if you do come across as a complete aussie twat!