User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Migration Assistant - clean up afterwards

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Migration Assistant - clean up afterwards
Joolz34

2006-04-30, 07:52

Hi, I got a new macbook pro recently as a bonus from work and I wanted to transfer my settings there from the powerbook.
The first thing that I did thogh was to reinstall the OS on the Macbook and take out all of the additional languages, printers and applications that I didnt need or want (I got the install to 6GB from 25GB).
Next I went and got UB versions of all the applications that I had if they existed, which left me with a handful that I use that needed to be directly transferred across from the powerbook.
On the powerbook I cleaned out from the applications directory to a backup directory all the apps that Id just installed on the macbook so that they wouldnt be duplicated. (Im not sure if it picks up on whether the app is installed or not, but before I moved the apps, the migration assistant told me it wanted to migrate 26GB of data and afterwards 8GB, but theres no way I ave 26GB in apps according to omnidisksweeper).
Anyways afterwards I ran the migration assistant and let it finish. Once done I found out that it had also copied across all of the various languages, printers and preferences etc that Id tried to get rid of by doing a clean install in the first place.
Ive since removed the languages using monolingual and also the printers manually but Id like to know if theres a utility that would go through the preferences etc and clean them up?
Im also curious if there isnt an "advanced version" of the migration assistant (3rd party or otherwise) that offers more fine control over what is copied and isnt?
Can anyone offer any advice?

Many thanks,

Joolz
GladToBeHere

2006-04-30, 08:39

I've never heard of one, but I have heard of people simply putting their new Mac into Target mode and directly copying things over that way without Migration Assistant...
Joolz34

2006-04-30, 09:05

I was worried that for some apps - like photoshop for example that this wouldnt copy over the activation or registration codes.
Mind you in saying that I had to reregister some of the apps anyway...