Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple is back, but for how long?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple is back, but for how long?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 13:31

In the last 5 years we have seen a revival of a company that many wanted to see die out. I myself have returned back to using a mac, starting with a macbook. I was using macs before 97 but it seemed like apple was just dead at that point. I think apple needs to make a new computer model and get out of the Mac era. During the mac era is when the glory days started to end. Apple needs to be reminded that they were the best comp company in the world at one time and they are still but did they learn from the mistakes? It seems so, but they still have microsoft to deal with. Apple should bring back Claris works and let the glory days come back. Appleworks is nice but everyone uses office on a mac, it seems more like apple is still in an indentity crisis. Going to intel was a smart move for apple, it should have been done back in 95. I am starting to get sick of the whole "i" stuff with the products. Apple needs to do what it should have done in the first place, license their os all over the place. Apples always were superior computers, but the reason windows is still so popular is because of the licensing and gaming licenses.

Any thoughts?

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-02, 13:33

Swing and a miss.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-02, 13:34

You know, it's okay to edit your post and try to focus your thoughts a bit, and *gasp* do some background research.

Just sayin'.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-02, 13:35

What is this, LiveJournal?

You have some decent thoughts, but you need to organize them a lot more. You barely come to any useful conclusions. Before asking for others' thoughts, you should think more yourself.

prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 13:36

No it's a discussion about apple's future, I'm worried microsoft can almost kill the company again with their new mp3 players and new windows os (which they stole from apple) the window is closing for apple to grab more of the market.

zippy
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 13:37

Licensing OS to other vendors was a mistake when it was done the first time, and it would be a mistake to do it again. Apple maximizes their profit margins by selling the complete package, and they seem to be doing fine financially. And the user benefits from a more controlled *read better* experience as well.

Apple is currently growing in market share, and probably at a pace that is comfortable/sustainable. Until that trend tops out, there is no really good reason to suddenly switch strategy.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 13:39

I just want to be able to use macs from now on and not have to give them up again for windows. It was hard for me to do it back in 97.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 13:40

1. Why drop the Mac branding? It's really strong right now, and dropping it would be incredibly stupid.

2. Claris works? What were you thinking?

3. Appleworks isn't even being made any more. iWork is replacing it (slowly), and it isn't shipping on the Intel Macs.

4. Yes, Intel was a very good move. Whether they should have done it at that time, though, is debatable.

5. The "i stuff" as you said is Apple's branding. It may seem silly, but it works. Why in the hell would they change something that works?

6. Licensing the OS is one of the reasons Windows is terribly broken. Apple makes the OS to sell hardware. Their hardware profits far outpace their software profits. Licensing the OS would be really, really stupid. They tried it before, and that was one of the largest things that led to their near death. The reason OS X is so stable is that by controlling the hardware it runs on, Apple can be much more sure of its stability.

None of your suggestions make any sense from a business perspective. I don't think you really know what business Apple is in. They're in the business of selling computers. Everything else is just there to drive computer hardware revenue. Look at the iTV. It'll work with Windows computers, but you can bet your ass that it'll work better with Macs. Why? They want to sell Macs.

I actually think that the "ideas" you have for "saving" Apple would actually destroy them. Is this flamebait, or do you really believe this? Don't drink and post.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigerg1570@aim.com View Post
I just want to be able to use macs from now on and not have to give them up again for windows. It was hard for me to do it back in 97.
Maybe you should just go back to using your mac, and research your argument a bit more thoroughly. Now is nothing like the "Claris Golden-age" of Mac.

The Intel move also. Back in 95, and up until fairly recently, the G chips were a better option. Only a couple of years ago did Intel become a better option.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-02, 13:42

Quote:
I'm worried microsoft can almost kill the company again with their new mp3 players
iPods make up less than half of Apple's revenues. Even if Zune were to kill iPod entirely, which is ridiculously unlikely, Apple could still survive off their Macintosh revenues alone.

Quote:
and new windows os
Windows Vista is a decent, but loooooong-overdue upgrade. Sales of Windows XP were well below expectations, by the way, and I expect Windows Vista to do even worse. Most people will probably simply wait until their computer becomes "too slow/outdated", and then get Vista through OEM (which means much, much lower revenues for Microsoft), or just buy an alternative, such as a Mac.

Half of Apple Store retail visitors are first-time Mac buyers.

Quote:
the window is closing for apple to grab more of the market.
Apple is the fourth-biggest vendor and likely to become third-biggest within the next few years. As a stockholder, I'm not particularly worried.

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-10-02, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
5. The "i stuff" as you said is Apple's branding. It may seem silly, but it works. Why in the hell would they change something that works?
Though it should be noted that in some areas, Apple seems to be moving away from the "i" branding a little bit - products like FrontRow, GarageBand, PhotoBooth, the MacBook... with the exception of iWork, I can't think of a recent (as in new) Apple product to use the "i" branding. EDIT: I just remembered iWeb, of course. But at least in the case of iWeb, the "i" actually fits its original meaning!

(obviously, we cannot comment on iTV since that is a codename)

prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 13:44

I don't believe this entirely but I just hate having to use Microsoft word for school (I'm in college) but everyone uses it and it's like ok there's no Corel Wordperfect anymore for macs, no claris works, and yes as you said appleworks is dying slowly. I just feel as an old mac user that the company made one of the best word processors with claris works in the past and they should try to compete with microsoft word when their market share grows. And I didn't mean to suggest these ideas happen in the near future, I'm thinking more long term.

prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 13:47

That is true but do you think the "i" branding was just to speak to a younger target audience to sound more 21st century? It was cool for a while and I am glad to see they are moving away from it slowly. I just wonder what they are going to call the iPod later on, maybe the macpod?

chucker

2006-10-02, 13:47

Quote:
I don't believe this entirely but I just hate having to use Microsoft word for school (I'm in college) but everyone uses it and it's like ok there's no Corel Wordperfect anymore for macs, no claris works, and yes as you said appleworks is dying slowly. I just feel as an old mac user that the company made one of the best word processors with claris works in the past and they should try to compete with microsoft word when their market share grows. And I didn't mean to suggest these ideas happen in the near future, I'm thinking more long term.
Let's see:
• Pages (Apple iWork)
• RagTime
• Nisus Writer Express
• Mariner Write
• AbiWord
• OpenOffice.org Write / NeoOffice Write

What is it about your college that mandates the use of Microsoft Word? Probably nothing. People who keep claiming "we don't have a choice!" are usually just too lazy to learn something different.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 13:48

Quote:
Why compete with Microsoft Office? Office is made for Windows and Mac. What are you complaining about? Pages is a perfectly suitable Word replacement for most tasks. I use it for all of my papers, and I use Keynote for all my presentations. If you want Office, buy Office. If you can use iWork, get it. If your professors want you to turn stuff in in Word format, I really doubt they'd be upset by a PDF (ask them--you can make a PDF in nearly any Mac application--including Pages).

All I'm getting out of you is that you think things should be the way they were before and that you're afraid of change. You seem to think Apple should go backward instead of forward.

prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 13:50

Look it's been a long time since I used macs I'll admit it I am trying to get up to date and that's one reason this post is giving me a lot of insight. I didn't know there were that many alternatives to office. I apologize.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just wonder what they are going to call the iPod later on, maybe the macpod?
Clever. What with it being a Mac and all.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is true but do you think the "i" branding was just to speak to a younger target audience to sound more 21st century? It was cool for a while and I am glad to see they are moving away from it slowly. I just wonder what they are going to call the iPod later on, maybe the macpod?
No, just like taking "Mac" out of the computer names, that would be stupid. iPod is an established brand. That would be like Sony changing the Walkman's name at the height of its popularity.

Quote:
Look it's been a long time since I used macs I'll admit it I am trying to get up to date and that's one reason this post is giving me a lot of insight. I didn't know there were that many alternatives to office. I apologize.
For the love of God, learn how to use Google. Or do you think that doesn't work on Macs either?

prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 13:53

I am talking about the longterm, think about the first macintosh. It was awesome for it's day. Apple moved away from the apple II and other models and the mac was their revolutionary model. I can understand why a lot of people feel comfortable staying with the mac name but I am hoping later on they come out with a new pc that will revolutionize the apple brand like the mac did in the past.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
For the love of God, learn how to use Google. Or do you think that doesn't work on Macs either?
Holy Crap! It does. Ive had this Mac for 3 months, and... wow.

Goodbye Alta Vistaaaa!

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 13:55

Quote:
I am talking about the longterm, think about the first macintosh. It was awesome for it's day. Apple moved away from the apple II and other models and the mac was their revolutionary model. I can understand why a lot of people feel comfortable staying with the mac name but I am hoping later on they come out with a new pc that will revolutionize the apple brand like the mac did in the past.
I think you will find that Apple are coming out with computers that revolutionize.

The iMac, the MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, Mac Mini...all amazing computers in their own right. And I highly doubt changing their name, dropping the odd 'i' is going to help this 'revolution' of yours.

chucker

2006-10-02, 13:56

Quote:
You still are being far too vague

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You still are being far too vague
And making absolutely no sense whatsoever.

So far we've established that you want Apple to:
1. Bring back all the old stuff
2. By making new stuff

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 14:01

prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 14:01

Whoever is an admin please just delete this whole post I put up, I am getting raped here it seems like. I really care about the future of apple, that's all.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 14:02

Farenheit, it looks like I've given you too much rep lately. Otherwise, I'd give you more. Very nice image

New guy: Bad news. They rarely delete anything. Newbie rape stays up for all the world to see. You posted some really, really strange stuff, and you never really explained yourself.

prestigerg1570@aim.com

2006-10-02, 14:05

time for me to get another user name.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-02, 14:06

*cough* background research *cough*

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 14:06

Quote:
time for me to get another user name.
Bad news on that front too. Duplicate accounts violate the rules. Just learn from your mistake and don't post anything dumb again. Hell, drewprops posts drunk all the time, and we still like him. (Then again, his drunk posts sometimes make more sense than this thread).

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-02, 14:07

Time to go back to playing the guitar I think Prestitute.