Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple + EMI special event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple + EMI special event
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-04-01, 19:04

According to a maccentral news story, Apple CEO Steve Jobs will be a special guest at an event with EMI tomorrow, in the UK.

Apple, EMI to hold special event in UK on Monday
By Jim Dalrymple

EMI CEO Eric Nicoli will hold an event tomorrow in the U.K. with special guest Apple CEO Steve Jobs, according to an invitation sent to press on Sunday. While the invitation doesn’t specifically say what will be announced at the event, it does say that attendees will “hear about an exciting new digital offering.” The event will also feature a “special live performance” — further details were not available.

Anyone have any idea as to what this "exciting new digital offering" could be? Is it possible that EMI is making all of their iTunes tracks available, without DRM? Hmm...

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Dave Hagan

2007-04-01, 19:11

Beatles.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-04-01, 19:13

Oh great. Not MORE bugs in 10.5!

" "

julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-04-01, 19:15

My guess:
They are going to offer the Beatles portfolio, DRM-free, as a first in a move towards a new paradigm.

What's the new paradigm I envision, you might ask of course.
I personally think that DRM is only useful - in a limited way - for new releases. "Older" music can be offered DRM-free because people usually already know someone who could borrow them the CD anyhow.

Thus in the near future music from artist who do not regularly release new material, is going to be delivered DRM-free, while releasing artist will remain under DRM. The Beatles portfolio could be used as a good first example of this new differetiation between the rights management of "older" and that of "new" music.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-01, 19:19

There's no chance this is some bullcrap, cruel April Fool's tug, is there?

Otherwise, great news. Can't wait...

Bring it, as the kids say.

Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-04-01, 19:23

Beatles on iTunes? Nah, I think it will take a bit more time... let's say christmas 2007. I also think that Applecorps/ 'beatles.com' would play a big role in such an announcement, not so much EMI 'the record-company'.

DRM-free music from EMI will be the big thing tommorow; 'boom!'

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-01, 19:26

Yeah, I just read a bunch of reports online. Some of them are citing "sources close to EMI" as stressing there is NO "Beatles announcement".

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-01, 19:28

Stupid me for not having bought more shares a week ago.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-04-01, 20:01

Please see existing thread:

EMI media event on Monday with Steve Jobs