User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Black Friday Steals, Deals, and Camp Outs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Black Friday Steals, Deals, and Camp Outs
zman2005

2007-11-20, 20:55

Lets be honest....this forum has nerdy people, that know technology 10x better then the average joe. This is a good thing, a great thing. I wanted to start this thread for people to TALK, DISCUSS and POINT OUT the REALLY GOOD DEALS that we "common people" ( I don't want to say less smart) aren't aware of. I mean I have NO idea if this TV for 800 is a good deal, but the people that know specs i.e. ppl on this website will.

SO POST the BEST BLACK FRIDAY DEALS!!!!!!
Partial
Stallion

2007-11-21, 02:58

I am underwhelmed with a lot of BF deals this year. I attribute this fact to the end of mail-in rebates and the decline of business the past several quarters. Sears sales were down 40% in the 3rd quarter. Scary for the 3rd largest retailer in the country.

Best Buy has a nice laptop and printer combo for 229. That's a solid price for a low end machine.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-21, 03:52

I'm on the lookout for a small-ish (26-27") LCD HDTV, but I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the selection. I sort of know what brands to avoid (Polaroid, for starters) but I really don't know what I should be looking for apart from HDMI inputs and a good contrast ratio. If anyone has seen any HDTV steals, please let me know.

Oh, and totally unrelated to my search for an LCD is the fact that on the 24th (Black...Saturday?) Wal-Mart is going to give everyone ten (10!) free Blu-ray movies with the purchase of the 80GB PS3. You can pick any movies Wal-Mart sells (as long as they're under $30), and this is in addition to the five free Blu-ray movies you get in the mail if you buy a Blu-ray player (such as the PS3) before January 31. Sooo...you get fifteen Blu-ray movies (and, um, Motorstorm) with the purchase of the PS3. All that free stuff adds up to about $510, so it's almost like you're getting the PS3 for free. Almost.

===

Best Buy will also apparently have an eMachines desktop with LCD monitor for $199. I know, I know, eMachines, but I think it's a good second (third?) computer at that price - one of my friends is picking it up for her sisters (age 10), so they can stop using her iMac.

Office Max is also knocking $50 off the price of the Canon SD1000 Digital Elph (to $149) and throwing in a free printer to boot. Everyone else is discounting the SD750, but I like the SD1000 more.

The sad thing is, none of the things I'm buying people for Christmas seem to be on sale anywhere. Oh wells.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-11-21, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Best Buy will also apparently have an eMachines desktop with LCD monitor for $199. I know, I know, eMachines, but I think it's a good second (third?) computer at that price - one of my friends is picking it up for her sisters (age 10), so they can stop using her iMac.
My last gaming rig (before my current, in-process new build) was a souped up eMachine. That thing was pretty good for its day by the time I got done with it -- I spent more on upgrades than I did on the original hardware.

I haven't found any deals I'm super excited about yet, either. I'm kind of excited by all the '08 EA Sports games for PS2 being on sale for $20 at Wal-Mart, but besides that, I've not found anything to write home about.

[edit] Here's a handy list of tech deals from TG Daily:
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/34943/118/

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Last edited by Wyatt : 2007-11-21 at 08:59.
faust

2007-11-21, 09:48

Circuit City has a Western Digital 1 TB external hard drive for $199, I might get my ass our of bed for that

On the home front, Home Depot has a 10" table saw with stand for $299 but I might hold off on that till the garage is cleaned up
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-11-21, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust View Post
Circuit City has a Western Digital 1 TB external hard drive for $199, I might get my ass our of bed for that
That IS a good deal
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-11-21, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4 View Post
That IS a good deal
that is 100 or so less than costco. That may be one of my stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Oh, and totally unrelated to my search for an LCD is the fact that on the 24th (Black...Saturday?) Wal-Mart is going to give everyone ten (10!) free Blu-ray movies with the purchase of the 80GB PS3. You can pick any movies Wal-Mart sells (as long as they're under $30), and this is in addition to the five free Blu-ray movies you get in the mail if you buy a Blu-ray player (such as the PS3) before January 31. Sooo...you get fifteen Blu-ray movies (and, um, Motorstorm) with the purchase of the PS3. All that free stuff adds up to about $510, so it's almost like you're getting the PS3 for free. Almost.
The PS3 is really great. If you buy a HDTV you should also get the PS3, especially if you are getting the 15 movies free that is like 500 by itself but anyway i love the PS3 it is wonderful for games and movies
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-11-21, 12:48

I think I've decided to hit my local Best Buy real early for a chance to get This deal. It's basically a $90 value for free.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-11-21, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I think I've decided to hit my local Best Buy real early for a chance to get This deal. It's basically a $90 value for free.
That's an awesome deal if you're looking to buy a 360. If I'd gone that route instead of building a new game PC (I briefly considered a 360 instead), I definitely would have gone for that deal.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
zman2005

2007-11-21, 18:00

the deals seem weak this year.....I guess TV wise it looks like you can find a 42in HDTV for around 8ish and thats bout it
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-11-21, 18:08

okay, I know every year a ton of people camp out front of Saks 5th Ave. in Beverly Hills (not sure about other locations) does any one know the deals/sales this year?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-21, 18:21

Best Black Friday Deal EVAR

Knowing that you can do 100% of your shopping online at any time in the next 10 days, go sit on your couch and eat open-faced turkey samiches with gravy and mashed potatoes, accompanied by a cold beer and your TV remote. Then, when you're *really* feeling the stress of Black Friday, take a nap.

Cost: Free

...into the light of a dark black night.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-11-21, 20:06

Now that the AppleNovitiates explained to me, in another thread, what Black Friday is (we don't have it here in Canuckistanada), the one thing I know is to avoid, at all costs, shopping on that day, should I be in the U.S. then. We have a similar thing here with Boxing Day sales. A nightmare. Nothing could tempt me.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-11-21, 23:19

It has been my experience over the past two years that all the great deals are gone pretty soon after the doors open. And many stores open at 5 am!
I like to score a good deal, but getting up that early and standing in the cold is not worth it. I usually get to the store at about 9-10am and of course, everything is picked over and gone.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-11-21, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Now that the AppleNovitiates explained to me, in another thread, what Black Friday is (we don't have it here in Canuckistanada), the one thing I know is to avoid, at all costs, shopping on that day, should I be in the U.S. then. We have a similar thing here with Boxing Day sales. A nightmare. Nothing could tempt me.
I wish Americans did boxing day.

Wisconsin has a weird holiday in December St. Nick's Day, it's the first week, If I recall. St Nick comes and gives you one present. Sometimes Milwaukee felt like a whole nother country.
It kind of takes care of that post Thanksgiving Pre-Christmas lull in retail sales.
Parents came in looking for CDs for St. Nicks day and I thought they were talking about Christmas, so I thought St. Nicks day was like Milwaukee-ese for Christmas, (They have a bunch of these, like a water fountain is a bubbler) after a couple of years I finally got hipped.

Satchmo, Some Department stores here in Chicago (Kohl's, Penny's, K-Mart) are opening at 4am!

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2007-11-24, 12:36

I bought a 50 inch HDTV at HHGregg for $1000 and managed to get a washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, stove, and dishwasher for under $1800 total. I basically won Black Friday.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-11-24, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99 View Post
I bought a 50 inch HDTV at HHGregg for $1000 and managed to get a washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, stove, and dishwasher for under $1800 total. I basically won Black Friday.
Whoa! Congrats!
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2007-11-25, 01:20

Thank you kindly, sir. I'll be signing autographs later in the week.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-11-25, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Best Black Friday Deal EVAR

Knowing that you can do 100% of your shopping online at any time in the next 10 days, go sit on your couch and eat open-faced turkey samiches with gravy and mashed potatoes, accompanied by a cold beer and your TV remote. Then, when you're *really* feeling the stress of Black Friday, take a nap.

Cost: Free
FTW.