Photo Challenge Thread
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-12-30, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Favorite winter activity? Parents-to-be? I am trying to find the connection.
Well I sure did!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-31, 00:11

When I first saw turtle's entry, the day it was posted, I agreed with Chinney, but it works just fine if you think about it. If the first two entries are any indication of what we are going to see (not 3, mine is just the example, someone has to judge the first round), then we are in for a good month.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-01-09, 21:37

Just a reminder that there are 5 days left in the challenge, don't forget to post your entires!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-09, 23:53

Oh well, I'm completely predictable and boring, but at least I'm honest:

And here's the only thing I've consistently stuck to actually doing this winter:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-01-13, 17:32

Family snowshoeing outing this past weekend at the Arboretum here in Ottawa. The photo is of my 13-year old daughter.

I like cross-country skiing even more, but I don't have a pic of that from this month.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-01-14, 17:16

One day left! I hope we get a few more entries!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-01-14, 19:37

Here's my entry:

It was taken on Christmas Eve in a flat in Timişoara, Romania. It shows one of my favourite winter activities: putting up the Christmas decorations!
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-01-15, 17:37

Playing with my dog in the snow

(RAW-File opened in ACR, cropped and saved as JPG without further processing)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-01-15, 17:40

A few more hours to go, closing at 12:00AM PST. Looks like choosing a winner will be tough!
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2010-01-16, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Bold.
You have my respect.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-01-16, 19:20

Thanks to all who entered, I hope we get more people in this months challenge! Even with only 6 entries this was tough, I like all these images, but I did have to pick the one I liked best
so here goes, from last to first.

6.Dorian:
This photo brings back memories of putting up, or down, the Christmas tree. I think the colours and light are great, but I marked this down because it seems busy, if you have focused on the decorations, or just the man with the tree, I think it might have been better.

5.Brad: I love your honesty about this shot, not boring at all! I think working on my computer is my second favorate winter activity to going for a walk in the snow, when we have some. I like the way you composed this shot, for the most part, looking up at your work, knowing that you enjoy listening to some tunes as you sit back and type away on your MBP. Its hard to say, but I think a slightly, and I mean slightly, wider composition might have put this higher up.

4.GSpotter:
It must be great to go for a walk in the snow with your dog, I can see that your dog had a great time! I love the exposure and the emotion on the dogs face, and the snow as it was kicked up. In some ways I think a tighter composition would have helped me like this image more, or if the dog was more to the left of the frame.

3.Turtle 2472: This would be a great photo to send to a company that sellls stock photos, seriously. I like the overall feel of the image, simply because I can feel the emotion that comes from the decoration, and what it means. At the same time I marked it on the lower side, because I felt that it could have used a little bit more depth of field.

2.julesstoop: I like this photo as well, even the lens flare that is in the corner gives it character. I like the light, the composition and the mood of the people is understood. I almost put this one in first place, but Chinney's photo just edged it out of 1st place

1.Chinney: The moment I saw this photo I remembered how much fun it was to go snowshoeing. The composition, the colours and just the feeling I get from this photo makes it stand out to me.

Chinney, the door is open for you to pick our topic for the January 15 - February 15 Challenge: Enjoy!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-01-16, 19:43

Wow. I would not have expected to win, but I'll take it just the same. Thanks PB.

As for the topic, I've thought of a few potential ones for our thread over the past month. I've settled for what might seem to be a bit of an odd topic, but one that might just work, and that might be a bit of fun:
Abstract (or, in other words, "What the heck is that?")
I'd like to see some pictures that are not clearly representational of anything, but appeal simply from the point of view of texture, patterns, colour, shading, depth of field and/or general visual interest. It could be the opportunity for close-ups/macros, but it does not have to be (mine will not be, because my little Sigma does not have a macro lens). You can do a few Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture adjustments if you want to do so, but nothing too heavy again, given the original guidelines that PB put out. Also, I want to emphasize that all photos are welcome. You do not need to have a professional camera to take an abstract shot. Finally, I'd like to have some fun guessing what the heck the shots actually are.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-01-17, 20:49

Here is an example, from a shot I took last year (and is not actually an entry for the contest). This one is not completely abstract, but within the parameters of what I have in mind for the contest this month:

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-01-17, 21:14

Oh good, I was going crazy trying to think of what I would photograph. This will be tough, I am really bad with abstract.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-01-17, 21:28

Me too. I'll see what I can figure out, it should be interesting to say the least!

Though his image looks like the ceiling of a shopping mall.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-01-18, 02:42

this will be muchofun
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-01-18, 14:09

Well done, Chinney. A good win and a good choice of topic for this month.

Dorian: must try harder.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-18, 20:49

This is one of those happy accidents with my iPhone camera.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2010-01-19 at 09:45. Reason: more info
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-01-18, 23:37

I played around with a few ideas, and this is what I came up with. RAW file, brought into Lightroom, no adjustments. If anyone wants to know what I did, PM me.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-01-19, 20:39

Cool pics.

I must say that it is hard to say exactly what Rotto's is, but I would put it into the general category of 'moving camera and bright lights'. The effect is almost etched though.

As for PB, I have no idea, other than I think that it is liquid. Maybe looking down into one of those 'harvest gold' 1970s sinks, full of hot water?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-01-20, 02:51

Nope, its tile on a wall! It is a 10 second exposure, at F22, and I just turned the camera slowly from vertical to horizontal.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-01-23, 17:13

Cool. In any event, a message to all potential contestants:

"Enter early. Enter often."
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-02-09, 22:15

Here's my 'symbolic' entry. 'Symbolic' because the judge, by definition, is disqualified.

I sure hope we get more entries. Perhaps I chose too out-there a theme for this month's contest. In any event, what's done is done. Enter your ABSTRACT photos 'Novans! All entries considered. Top prize is pride!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-02-09, 22:29

I think it would be best to start a new thread, for the new challenges, that might prevent possible confusion.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-02-09, 22:49

Yes...and maybe with the month's theme in the title.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-02-09, 23:09

Yup. Each thread would have the theme in the title and the rules. Which most likely need clarification anyway.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-02-09, 23:34

Would be great if the titles could contains a prefix to simplify the search. Like if you want to see all Photos Challenges Threads.

Like "PCT : Some cool theme"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-02-09, 23:49

Opps, I still need to get one of these shots done before the deadline.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-02-11, 09:22

Don't forget to post your photos, if you want to enter. Just a few more days. This month's contest closes at midnight, NA Pacific time, on the 15th of Feb.

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-02-12, 17:02

I was a bit busy recently and almost forgot about this challenge. Here's my quick & dirty entry: