User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Words
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-09-23, 01:39

I wanted to make a catch-all thread for writing. The idea I had was just to have a thread where you could post any type of writing you want, as long as it's your writing. Not necessarily stories, it could be anything. A random thought, a poem, maybe a snippet of something you're working on that you rather liked. No structure, the idea is simply to have an outlet for anything you want to post, as long as it was created by you.

I'll start. I'm writing a fan fiction piece, and I kind of like a couple of the things I've written, so here they are.

Quote:
She was beautiful in the same way that a sharp knife is beautiful in a certain light, or the way a rainstorm is beautiful in the dark.
Quote:
Sounds and sensations faded in and out, she heard people coming and going, and saw lights shining and dimming through her eyelids, smelled chemicals and felt warm water. She fell into a deep sleep, too exhausted to figure out where she was or what was happening.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-09-23, 03:21

Great idea Xaqtly. I like how descriptive your writing is, thanks for sharing.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2010-09-23, 05:28

Oh oh oh... I know where she is 'cos it happened to me! She got really really drunk and fell into a hot tub!

No??
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-09-23, 10:49

Haha! Well, not exactly. Actually she had just been pulled off a slab of ice floating in the ocean off the Alaskan coast and was being treated for frostbite.

Here's something from a different story I wrote. It loses some impact due to not having any context, but I did like how it came out. The characters are wolves.

Quote:
Dakarai cried into his mate's fur. She began to cry with him, as they held each other. The storm continued to rage outside, growing more fierce with every passing moment, with winds that threatened to blow through their caves and freeze them all. And yet for all the storm's fury, there was not a member of the Falling Leaf Tribe who did not hear their alpha's howls of sorrow that night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-09-27, 18:54

Here's a few words.

Nitwit! Oddment! Blubber! Tweak! Peregrine! Intercept! Libertine! Oubliette!

They'll make sense in, oh, exactly two years, I hope.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-09-29, 00:55

Here's a short story I wrote recently. The characters are anthropomorphic and animal-based. Kantaro is an Arctic Blue Fox, and Alanna is a Red Wolf.

"In the Attic"

-------------------------------------------

"Honey, could you please grab those old cookbooks from the attic? I wanted to find that recipe of your mother's you liked so much. You know, the meatloaf?"

Kantaro grinned from his chair in the living room. "You'd do that for me?"

Alanna poked her head out from the kitchen, where she had been putting groceries away. "Hey, I never said it would taste like your mother's meatloaf. I just wanted to try to make it."

Kantaro couldn't stop grinning. He got up from his chair and walked to the kitchen entrance. He took Alanna's face in his paws and brushed her hair to the side. "Have I told you yet today how much I love you?"

Alanna closed her eyes and kissed him. "You just did."

They kissed again, and Kantaro went back into the hallway to pull the attic stairs down. He grabbed the cord dangling from the ceiling and pulled, and the spring loaded stairs unfolded with a loud creak. He winced and made a mental note to get some WD-40 next time he was at the store. After securing the stairs, he climbed up and into the attic.

He and Alanna had moved into this house shortly after they were married, and the next two years had flown by. He had always intended to get this stuff out of the attic, but never seemed to have the time to do it so it just stayed up there. As he got to the top of the ladder and hoisted himself into the attic, he saw the fine layer of dust covering everything, and saw it swirling in the beam of sunlight shining in from the window near the roof. He shook his head and made a mental note to clean this place up, too.

He began looking around at the various boxes, checking what he had written on them to try to find those cookbooks. "Books… knick knacks… Kan's stuff?" He stopped and looked at the box, and it wasn't his writing. It was his mother's.

His mother had died in October of last year, and Alanna had taken care of all the details. His mother loved to save the things he made as a child, all the drawings, paintings and things he had written, but he didn't know that Alanna had brought it all back to their house. He looked at the box for a moment, then pulled on the flaps to open it.

Inside, he discovered things he had completely forgotten about. Stories he had written as a child, finger paintings, drawings and scribbles, and even some old toys. He leafed through the pages, chuckling at some of the things he had written. He found the story about Rex the Super Husky and the grin never left his face as he read through it. He found a picture of a pink flower with small vines growing around it, and wondered how he was able to draw like that at that age.

He found a picture he had drawn of his mother in a green dress, and he suddenly remembered her scent. It was so familiar, and it triggered a cascade of memories. He remembered the trips he and his mother had taken, and the time they had spent camping and traveling. He remembered her funeral, and how he felt when he realized he would never be able to talk to her again. He remembered her casket being lowered into the ground, and how he had to fight the urge to stop them.

Alanna had been an angel for him through all of it, comforting him and just being there for him. He didn't know how he could have gotten through it without her. He wiped his eyes with his paw and continued to look through the box. Near the bottom, underneath the stories and drawings, there was a stuffed toy. He pulled it out and stared at it. It was his favorite stuffed toy from when he was young, a fluffy blue fox with white hair and a poofy blue tail. He was flooded with a sudden stream of memories as he smelled it, and it all came rushing back to him.

"Kan! This looks just like you!" she said from across the store.

Kantaro stopped playing with the battery powered Transformer and looked over. "What does, mom?"

"This!" She picked up the blue fox toy and brought it over to him. "Isn't it precious?"

"Yeah mom, it's cool," he said and went back to playing with the Transformer.

"Yeah, it is," she said slowly as she looked at it.

"Time for bed, Kan," his mother said from the other room.

"Do I have to? Can't I stay up another ten minutes? I'm drawing!"

"You're drawing, are you? Well that's different. Ten more minutes."

"Mom! What is this on my pillow?"

"Why, it's you, Kan." she said with a smile as she stood in the doorway. "Don't you recognize yourself?"

"Mooomm," he whined. "I'm a boy, boys don't play with dolls."

"Oh, but this isn't a doll, kiddo. This is you. You have to keep him safe so nothing happens to you, okay?"

"I don't understand," he said as he cocked his head to the side.

His mother came in and sat down on the bed next to him. "Well, some people believe that everybody has a soulmate, somebody who makes them feel whole and complete. Your father is my soulmate, for example." Kantaro nodded. " But until you find your soulmate, you only have half a soul, you're not complete. Some people say that until you find your soulmate, you can keep the other half of your soul in a tiny version of yourself, and keep it safe until you meet her."

"Then what happens?"

"Well, then you get married, and she will guard the other half of your soul with her life, just as you will do for hers."

"It sounds complicated."

His mother laughed. "It's not as complicated as it sounds, kiddo. Believe me, when the time comes and you meet the right person, you will know exactly what to do."

"Okay, I guess. But how do I put half my soul into this?" He indicated the stuffed blue fox on his pillow.

"I've already done it. All you have to do is take care of it, and make sure nothing bad happens to it. Okay?"

"Okay mom. I love you."

"I love you too, Kan. Go to sleep now."

He looked down at the old, threadbare blue fox and it seemed like all the life had gone out of it. Its tail wasn't as fluffy as it used to be, its blue color had dulled and some of its threads had unraveled. He never once lost that fox, and he always kept it with him, growing up. When he went to school he put it in his bag, when he went on sleepovers he brought it with him. He came to love the idea of a little himself that he could carry around with him, knowing that it was keeping his soul safe.

And then one day when he was older, he forgot about it. He forgot all about his mother's story, and when he moved out of his parents' house, the fox didn't go with him. But his mother, being who she was, made sure to save it.

"Kan…?" Alanna's voice from behind him startled him. He turned around with tears in his eyes to see Alanna had come up to join him in the attic.

"'Lana…" he whispered, and embraced her.

She hugged him and cradled his head in her arms. "What's wrong, fuzzy?" She looked down to see the old worn out blue fox toy in his paw, and she knew it must have been something special. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I just… thank you," he whispered.

Alanna stroked his head and held him closer. "For what, love?"

"For guarding my soul."

She didn't know quite what he meant, but she leaned down to look into his eyes.

"With all my heart."
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-09-29, 01:24

Oh, we're supposed to write stories? Wow, that's hard work. I thought this was just a thread for random words we happened to like.

Autopilot. Blackouts. Chrysalis. Departure.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-09-29, 05:39

Flosculous.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-09-29, 07:15

Bollocks.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-09-29, 07:54

In what is mainly a Philadelphia area thing, the word "jawn" has become one of my favorites.

Why? Because it can be used for absolutely anything.

"Did you see his new car? That jawn is cool."

It has become kind of a regularly used word around here. Many don't like it, but I think it's funny.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-09-29, 08:23

superfluous. facetious. indubitably.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-09-29, 10:14

logorrhea. disabuse. dearth.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-09-29, 10:25

Haha. Methinks I may not have been clear enough about my intentions for this thread.
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-09-30, 14:45

I wrote a lot today.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-09-30, 22:48

I want to post some of what I wrote, but I'm kinda afraid that it's trite. Boring. Predictable and cliched. Maybe after I've had a couple of drinks, I'll paste some of it here. Nothing taps my insecurities like getting my fiction critiqued. In fact, I don't think I've ever really had anything fictional read by others since assignments that I had to do I was in high school. And even then, I probably only wrote 5 or 6 works of fiction.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-09-30, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I want to post some of what I wrote, but I'm kinda afraid that it's trite. Boring. Predictable and cliched. Maybe after I've had a couple of drinks, I'll paste some of it here. Nothing taps my insecurities like getting my fiction critiqued. In fact, I don't think I've ever really had anything fictional read by others since assignments that I had to do I was in high school. And even then, I probably only wrote 5 or 6 works of fiction.
That's why I never post anything, despite requesting a forum for this sort of thing. But I need to get over it. I'll post something if you do!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-09-30, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
That's why I never post anything, despite requesting a forum for this sort of thing. But I need to get over it. I'll post something if you do!
Deal.

But not today.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-01, 08:52

I'm writing something with 3 distinct parts/characters. This is my "Dan Brown" section.

Quote:
The weather forecast called for an unusually strong line of storms to come through the area. It was unknown how long they would last and people were advised to stay indoors while the brunt of the storm worked its way through the area. The storms were unusual, the weathermen tell us, because they had a tendency to intensify as they should have been exhausting their energy. Some scientists likened the storms to cytokine storms that sometimes afflict the strongest among us. Things that should protect us make those infections stronger, they said.

Wind tunnels were expected to be formed through the mountains and trees, as well as through the alleys between the houses. They didn't predict how strong these tunnels would become and they certainly didn't predict that the prayers of the people inside the houses of worship would make things that much worse.

("Lord, please shelter us from these storms. Protect us from the evil that is coming upon us.")

As the storms tore through the towns and cities along the ridge line of the mountains and rivers, the prayers also intenstified.

("God is metting out his punishment upon our evils. He has spoken and we will know suffering. And salvation.")

The prayers rose from the churches, temples and mosques. They each prayed that the Lord would save their people from the wrath of the storms. Each House hoped that they would have enough supplies to survive the onslaught.

And each secretly hoped that the Others would have perished.
Eh. The best thing about what I'm writing right now is that I have no idea how it's going to turn out. I hope I don't fumble it at the end...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-10-01, 10:22

Hey. You guys are brave, putting your writing out there for everyone to read. And I'm proud of the other members here for being civil about it. I think it says something about our community that you can post something like that and not worry about being berated. A lot of forums, you post an animal love story or one about religion and prayer and you'll start a huge shitstorm.

Won't go so far as to say that furry romance and religious stuff is my choice of reading, but I have the utmost respect for your willingness to put it out there.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-10-01, 12:11

I guess that was the other reason for starting this thread; this should be a "safe place" to post your stuff. Like my short story above, even if nobody wants to comment on it or its subject matter necessarily, it's not going to be ridiculed.

This is a good forum with good people, even if sometimes we do disagree on stuff it rarely escalates beyond anything that a good night's sleep can't fix. And for me, I write things because of how it makes me feel, and I want to share that feeling with other people. Maybe it'll make you feel the same way and maybe it won't, but there should never be any harm in sharing it.

I just feel like this place is a place that can handle a little diversity without going apeshit. I feel like the tolerance ratio is pretty high here, as well as the signal to noise ratio. Pretty rare for an internet forum, I think most of you would agree. Maybe it's because we're all more aware that there are real people on the other end of our screen names, so the "normal person + anonymity + audience = total fuckwad" equation doesn't apply here so much.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-10-01, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'm writing something with 3 distinct parts/characters. This is my "Dan Brown" section.
I did that writing analyzation thing on my story above, and it said I write like James Joyce. I'll take it!

As far as your story piece, it did get me wondering how the prayers were related. The feeling I got was that they were being punished for their hatred of other faiths, instead of living by the intent of God, i.e. love thy neighbor, be tolerant you jackasses, etc.

And I never know how my writing is going to turn out either. Everything I write is off the top of my head, I don't do outlines or even first drafts. I just write it, then go back and look for spelling/grammar/plot issues. For small stories like the one above, it all just comes out at once. But then I'm not an actual writer; I just do it because I love to do it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-01, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I did that writing analyzation thing on my story above, and it said I write like James Joyce. I'll take it!

As far as your story piece, it did get me wondering how the prayers were related. The feeling I got was that they were being punished for their hatred of other faiths, instead of living by the intent of God, i.e. love thy neighbor, be tolerant you jackasses, etc.

And I never know how my writing is going to turn out either. Everything I write is off the top of my head, I don't do outlines or even first drafts. I just write it, then go back and look for spelling/grammar/plot issues. For small stories like the one above, it all just comes out at once. But then I'm not an actual writer; I just do it because I love to do it.
I'm not sure, but I think that the characters of that plot line aren't being punished at all. But we'll see how it shakes out.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-01, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
But then I'm not an actual writer; I just do it because I love to do it.
It's an unfortunate myth that to be an "actual" writer, one has to get a "writing license," presumably in the form of a published manuscript that must be renewed every five years by publishing another. If you like writing, and write, that makes you about as real a writer as I'm aware of. You don't need a record deal to be a real musician, &c.

Damn tori posted something fast. I'll post something later; I have to write it first.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-10-01, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If you like writing, and write, that makes you about as real a writer as I'm aware of.
I guess so, I just meant I don't do the same things successful writers do like outlining, etc. For whatever reason I just can't do it that way. But I do love writing. I just find it to be a really good outlet. I'm about 16k words into my next story, and I just love doing it. I sort of hope that one day I can write an actual, good book. That would be awesome.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-01, 17:19

Stephen King doesn't outline, either.
¡Damned!

2010-10-01, 18:11

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I've always had trouble getting into a SK book. I really, really want to, as I find the premise of his stories enthralling, but I've never been able to dive more than 50 pages deep into anything. I find myself losing oxygen on the up-down of his writing rollercoaster, going from "This guy is a retard" to "Oooh, that's a very astute observation." I can't fucking take it. I want to like it, really. And I try my hardest. But goddamn if his writing style doesn't annoy the hell out of me.

I had the same thing with Kerouac 25 years ago, but that was easier to decide, as he really was an awful writer.

So it goes.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-10-02, 01:47

YEEEAAAAHHHH

so heavy
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-10-08, 12:09

Here's a little poetry slam for y'all. I wrote this yesterday. It's called "Before the Sun Sets".

--------------------------------

To see your face one last time

To gently breathe in your scent

To feel my heart beat faster

In perfect time with yours

One last time

Before the sun sets

To see the light in your eyes

As you smile at me

To feel your breath against my skin

To become lost in your heat

And give myself to you

Before the sun sets

I can't remember how I lived

Before I found you

I can't remember what I did

To deserve your beauty

All I know is that I miss you now

More than ever

Before the sun sets

So take my sadness, my pain

I give myself to you

My only reason for living

One more time

One more time

Before the sun sets

Before your sun sets
Jason
Veteran Member

2010-11-20, 11:08

I wrote this last year while working on something longer. Opens in PDF.

https://files.me.com/jason.newton/32kae2

Regards
Jason
Veteran Member

2010-11-21, 08:20

Here's another.

https://files.me.com/jason.newton/01vjrz

Regards