AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Anyone know stuff about VCR's?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone know stuff about VCR's?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-23, 22:27

At work we have a pile of old VHS tapes. Of the dozens, few if any are every going to make it to DVD. However, our professors would still like to use the videos.

We had looked at converting them to DVD, and there are a variety of options, however I've come across a problem.

No one sells VCR's anymore. At least, not decent ones. Most retailers I stopped by carried maybe two or three VCR's, and none of them are that nice.

Since this is going to be a one time translation from analog to digital format, I'd like to have it be the higheset quality possible. (granted I have some price constraints, but not your typical home user range)

I also wanted to check on the best way to translate old tapes. Some of the videos they have are over 15 years old, and the tracking on them is terrible. I'd like to have a machine that will do a decent job of removing the waviness from these videos. I'd rather not sit there and manually adjust the tracking as the tapes play, so a machine that does it for me is a must.

Any suggestions?

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
flail

2005-01-23, 22:41

Looks like crutchfield has some good ones.
I got my car stereo from them.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-01-23, 23:40

I am only guessing but I would assume that there are people in the real world who do this for a living. Instead of doing it yourself you might be able to get a better job done by professionals. As I said just guessing - these people might not exist at all!

This would also raise copyright issues as well.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-23, 23:57

Problem is the places that do it professionally want $15 per tape to do it. We have dozens of tapes, so the cost would be prohibitive.

All are for educational use, and copyright won't be an issue. I've done one tape and there was no problem with Marcrovision. I'm guessing none of the tapes are protected.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-01-24, 00:43

This Sony combo VCR-DVD Player has done flawless auto-tracking (with manual fine-tuning available on the remote) with some of my older tapes, that my previous VCR really struggled with.
Bill M

2005-01-24, 04:40

These devices seem to suit your needs:

http://www.govideo.com/Index.asp?GV=DVDRComboAll