User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 26 of 42 First Previous 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30  Next Last Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-15, 08:43

This is late, but I'll put it out here anyway. We got levelled by COVID, just about as sick as one can get and still make it: the Mrs. has fought a 5 month battle with COVID. Three months in ICU on a ventilator, six weeks on an ECMO circuit in an induced coma. Those who know what that is, know how hard those odds were to beat. We've just now begun a return to home/rehab discussion. Even given the level of medical intervention her recovery is atypical, remarkable... miraculous. She's made of something stronger than I am. And, we're lucky to live in a country with socialized medicine, to have the best science, the best medicine, the best practices, and available to the greatest number.

If you could say I had contempt for the politics of misinformation before, now I'm on a hair trigger when faced with willful stupidity. Get vaccinated unless there is a valid medical reason not too. Self confirming social media punditry is not a valid reason. Conspiratorial politics is not a valid reason. We got hit just a couple of weeks before we were eligible to get vaxxed. There are people in the world who have died because they never had the chance to get vaccinated, and there are still more who will. The worst part of all of it is that so many of those stoking the fires of conspiracy and misappropriating the language of liberty don't believe a fucking word they're saying. They're doing it for clicks, for ratings, cash, notoriety, and the political advantage they gain from it.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-15, 09:02

Glad to hear that you and your family are getting better. I cannot imagine how difficult that must have been.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-15, 09:13

Dude! I feel like Mrs T and I just had a slight cough compared to your story! So glad you and your wife are pulling through. I pray neither of your have any long term effects from it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-15, 13:36

Goodness.

Glad you're pulling through, what a nightmare.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-15, 13:48

I wasn't so bad, after three four weeks I was feeling myself, though in the last few weeks I've gotten some recurring bouts of fatigue, I put it down to stress (eating) and having let myself get really out of shape over the last half year. I'm restarting light with daily walks. I'll start hitting the rower and weights in a couple of weeks. I never felt short of breath, just got a super elevated heart rate for the better part of a month. The Mrs went into ARDS. It's so pernicious. We were both 5-10 days into COVID, no fever, not too much coughing, just a little tired, when suddenly she's completely white and lips gone grey. I think we don't do a good job describing what to watch out for. We tell people to seek emergency help if they're short of breath, but for people whose lungs are being compromised slowly by a build up of CO2 in the blood, that sign may be cutting things dangerously close. Almost right until I walked her into emergency, she was telling me she just felt a "little tired."

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-15, 13:52

This is exactly why I shared Mrs T and my experience with COVID. I haven't seen others doing it and while we can read about generalizations on the web, it is different when you hear/read what someone actually went through.

I had my Watch checking my O2 sat all the time. Mrs T didn't but stayed good.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-09-15, 13:53

Terrifying. Glad y'all made it through intact.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-15, 14:13

For me, heart rate jumped from low mid 70's resting to 100+ at the slightest movement. I started monitoring it on Fitbit and with an oximiter. Took about 3 months before my resting heart rate came back down to normal.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-15, 14:23

Good to hear you and the Mrs. are getting better, Matsu.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-09-15, 17:28

Ditto all the well-wishing. That's quite scary to see you two were hit so hard, Matsu, but I'm glad you're both recovering. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-16, 08:19

Thanks for that. I stayed off the board even when things started to look up because I just didn't want to read nonsense.

When my wife was in ICU I came within a moment of getting into a fight with an anti-MASK protester about a block from the hospital. I haven't been in a real fight since I was a kid - when my worst couldn't really hurt someone. I'm not sure what I could do today. I won't describe the scene. I will say I didn't care about their numbers or the police present. I just wanted to wreck him, or more likely get wrecked by all his friends, it didn't matter. I talked to an officer. I thought about my kids. I wasn't sure if I'd see my wife again if I ended up spending a day locked up, or what it'd be like raising kids on my own with some misdemeanor court bullshit hanging over me. So I stayed in my car and let the fucker banging on my hood rant on by.

I'm not sure if it was reason, or at least equal parts fear, and maybe there's little practical difference.

When I read some of the things in this thread, I'm so sad.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-16, 09:23

You did the right thing. There’s no winning in a situation like that, outnumbered by hopped-up dipshits (with Alex Jones’ ballsack in their mouths) looking for a confrontation.

You winding up in county lockup and/or the emergency room would’ve only made everything 30x worse. Good for you, not taking that bait.

Their three-sizes-too-small Ed Hardy Limited Edition “Tap-Out” T-shirts will have to go back in the drawer for another day.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-16, 09:52

We've been invaded by some out-of-town anti-mask dipshits. Daily protests outside one of the schools and now they've organized a recall drive for some of our school board members because they—gasp!—implemented the mask orders from the health department.

Bunch of losers with literally nothing better to do on a weekday afternoon than stand on a street corner. Don't these people have jobs?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-16, 10:53

Matsu, rightful anger, but I’m glad you were able to hold it in. So many people here were pissed off when anti-vax types protested at local hospitals a few weeks ago when the government announced vaccine passports (only required for sporting events, bars/clubs/restaurants, all not must haves for existence). They even had the gall to block inbound ambulances and assault hospital staff members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Bunch of losers with literally nothing better to do on a weekday afternoon than stand on a street corner. Don't these people have jobs?
These days it’s hard to tell, given how many paid protesters there are.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-16, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
They even had the gall to block inbound ambulances and assault hospital staff members.
So weird...my friend was telling me about this just last night while we were jibber-jabbering on FaceTime. I had a tough time believing her, and probably said "really?" or "That happened, for real?" way more than I should've (because you know how easy it is for things heard/read online to simply not be true in any way, and so I thought that was what was going on).

So it did? People were "protesting" at a hospital and impeding the arrival of ambulances and so forth?

Inexcusable. That's evil. There's is not one thing "noble" or "within our rights" about that horseshit.

I can't imagine my mom having some medical emergency, being rushed to the hospital in a life-or-death, seconds-truly-count scenario, and a bunch of Alex Jones Knob-Gobble Brigade members linking arms and blocking the ambulance/EMTs from reaching the ER doors. I don't know how I wouldn't absolutely snap and wreck everyone involved, regardless of age, gender, etc.

"Well, Paul...your mom pulled through and is doing just fine, but you're going to the state pen for 8-11 years...nice going, idiot."
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-16, 11:45

Yes, it happened at hospitals around BC.

Saying they blocked ambiances might be a stretch, but they did slow them down as they tried to safely navigate the protesters. One paramedic I heard on the radio said they were delayed for a while getting to the hospital, I thought he said 80, but it was far more likely 8 minutes. Either way that's a big deal in a life and death situation. The patient was bleeding badly and needed care quickly. [Edited because I may not have remembered the amount of delay time correctly).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-16, 11:56

My friend is in Calgary, so she'd know (I think that's close to BC...same general side of the country?). Sorry, I'm not super up on Canadian geography, minus a few big, obvious things. I'll start working on that, as I may wind up there some day for a visit).

Fact is, none of these screwheads need to be standing on hospital property where they're a nuisance or potential blocking/hindrance to...you know, MEDICAL stuff. Whether they're actively blocking or not, just being there, milling around areas where ambulances and others come and go, is enough to cause trouble/problems. I couldn't go down there, today, just me, and start selling sunglasses or phone cases without being told to "beat it".

Eight minutes in a heart attack/stroke/gunshot/brain injury/motorcycle wreck scenario may as well be eight hours. Could make every bit of difference in the world, minutes and seconds.

Go stand across the street and scream/chant if that's your idea of a good time. Ambulance drivers shouldn't have to slow down and be mindful of not running over your dumb ass while they've got a bleeding patient or heart attack victim in the back. Period. No excuse.

And there should be cops there to keep things clear and open. Anyone arriving via ambulance and who winds up dying as a result of any delay reaching the ER, everyone involved in slowing the ambulance down gets charged with something. I don't know what you'd call it, but if they actively delayed care because they were in the way, there must consequences to that sort of thing.

I know there's been some of that nonsense here in my town. There was a group showing their ass a couple of weeks ago near/at one of our big medical centers (just on a decent human level, you shouldn't be standing outside a hospital, on hospital property, screaming and using bullhorns; that's something assholes do). It was on the news and I just rolled my eyes and changed the channel before I threw the TV across the room.

Guys, do you truly have nothing better to do?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-16 at 12:35.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-16, 12:11

That stuff is in such unbelievably bad taste. When my "incident" happened it was sort of collateral damage. Our big teaching hospitals are essentially across the street from the Provincial Legislature. The anti maskers were there protesting the government and thoughtlessly blocking traffic around four major hospitals as a consequence, but the hospitals and staff weren't the direct targets themselves. The guy who attacked my car didn't like that I was wearing a mask while stopped in traffic, I didn't even realize that about 100m away there 8000 people marching up the street. That was bad enough. For people to actually target hospitals and staff, they should be punished to the full extent of the law, and whatever creative application of the law could also be applied.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-16, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
My friend is in Calgary, so she'd know (I think that's close to BC...same general side of the country?). Sorry, I'm not super up on Canadian geography, minus a few big, obvious things. I'll start working on that, as I may wind up there some day for a visit).
Yes it's close, both are in western Canada. Calgary is just about an hour or so drive from the BC boarder, or a 13 hour drive from Vancouver.

https://www.worldatlas.com/upload/e9/d9/73/ca-01.jpg
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-16, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
That stuff is in such unbelievably bad taste. When my "incident" happened it was sort of collateral damage. Our big teaching hospitals are essentially across the street from the Provincial Legislature. The anti maskers were there protesting the government and thoughtlessly blocking traffic around four major hospitals as a consequence, but the hospitals and staff weren't the direct targets themselves. The guy who attacked my car didn't like that I was wearing a mask while stopped in traffic, I didn't even realize that about 100m away there 8000 people marching up the street. That was bad enough. For people to actually target hospitals and staff, they should be punished to the full extent of the law, and whatever creative application of the law could also be applied.
Agree 100%. They can protest all they want, and since that happened they have had enough brains not to do it in front of hospitals again because it pissed off so many people (over 80% population is vaccinated here, closer to 91% in the city). The police basically told the public, this will not be allowed to happen again, period.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-16, 12:37

There's not a jury in this country that would find you guilty for beating the daylights of some dipshits who blocked an ambulance and caused someone to die.

There's a scene in Bosch where two detectives realize the dead victim in their hit-and-run case is actually a notorious serial killer.

"Do they ever give out medals at sentencing hearings?"

"Only in the court of poetic justice."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 12:43

As a guy who drove an ambulance for a few years as a volunteer EMT, I would have a hard time not running over a protester given some of the patients in the back. I will say, 95% of the time the ambulance is called it is not like that. I only had one "their heart isn't beating but there is still a chance for them to revive" where the ER staff was "running around" to get treatment to this person.

That was over the course of years and me pretty much living there when I wasn't at the fire department (or my day job in the Navy).

If it was that patient and there were people blocking my path it would be REALLY hard not to get myself put in jail trying to save a life. At the least I would ensure charges of manslaughter were issued against the idiots blocking my way once I got the patient turned over.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-09-16, 20:25

The hospital/university of medicine I'm working for now had to send out an email telling staff to go out the children's hospital entrance because the front entrance and emergency room areas were being blocked by anti-mask protestors standing on the sidewalk and waving bullhorns and chanting. Fortunately, the ghouls weren't doing it in front of the children's hospital doors. I rather wish the fuckers would get teargassed or have someone have a stroke in front of the hospital while driving and plow into them all.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-16, 22:11

These people are making more money than anyone can spend. Why are the new vaccine brand names so bad?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-16, 23:37

When have pharma companies ever had a good name for drugs? All they care about is making sure they can patent the name.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 08:29

I read that the FDA has some pretty stringent naming requirements. This means they end up having to be REALLY creative with their names.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 09:14

Those are like names from a “ask your doctor about…” parody commercial. Yeah, all those names are silly.

Every time I see one of those commercials come on - which is all the time - I always ask myself a) will it have a ridiculous name and b) will the listing of “possible side effects” be hilariously 10x worse than the condition supposedly being treated?

The answers have never been “no”.

“Hey, I’m dead…but guess what? No allergies!”
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-17, 09:18

Yeah, generally side effects look scary, till you realize they only effect less 5% of less of patients who take them. Then again, when you take a drug to deal with kidney issues, like I do and one of the possible side effects is kidney failure, it does make one hesitate from time to time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 09:20

Those are the ones that get me. “Hey, wait a minute…”.

I will never forget my all-time favorite from two decades ago. I can’t even remember what it was for, but it ran on the radio when I lived in San Diego. Might’ve been some weight loss thing?

- gas with oily discharge
- loose stools
- frequent bowel movements AND the inability to control them

That’s just the trifecta of awesome!

How about you put down the Doritos and maybe join a gym or something?

“I lost 55 pounds in three weeks and I’ve never felt, or looked, better! I am, however, shitting myself at the office 1-3 times a day so my social life hasn’t improved one bit.”

Imagine that.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-09-17, 09:24

The problem is they can't draw a direct line of causation, so have to report them as side-effects. ie: people with kidney issues took this drug and later experienced kidney failure. Was it the drug, or the original kidney problem that caused it? Can't prove it either way...