Spring media event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spring media event
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-21, 07:53

I also just realized how this moves the AppleTV closer to being a very capable gaming console. I might have to see what pairing an Xbox controller to it is like playing games on it... bet yet I'l have my son do it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-21, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
My understanding is that each device on a 'Thread' (basically a mesh network for your home) makes the network stronger and more reliable, as each acts as its own node, but all connected to the meshiness. Someone can probably explain it better than I.
I get the meshiness. What I don't get is why this is called 'Thread' and not 'Threading'.

'An Apple TV with Thread.' Does no one care about words anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It also means people who don't want a speak/mic in their home (Frank777),....
Just to be clear, I do have rooms in my house where devices have mics and cameras. I just don't want my house overrun with a bunch of hardly noticed and eminently hackable devices listening and watching almost everywhere. Between known government and business privacy threats, I don't think that's even close to paranoia.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-21, 17:13

Quote:
I also just realized how this moves the AppleTV closer to being a very capable gaming console.
How so?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 17:40

BTW, unless I missed it, I have to give Apple props for resisting any silly-ass 420 jokes/references yesterday. Had it been a live, on-stage event, you know good and well Craig Federighi would’ve made one.

Hey, mannnn...

DISCLAIMER: I missed the opening 5-10 minutes (and bailed after the iMac unveiling) so if Tim or some other employee did, I missed it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-21, 17:41

I saw none.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-21, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
'An Apple TV with Thread.' Does no one care about words anymore?
No. Everyone also says “write an e-mail”. Makes no sense, but here we are.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
How so?
Processing power alone. Even the previous 4K lags with certain applications as it is now. Beefing up the processor gives far more abilities and enhanced display options. The processor is now the same(ish) one that is in my iPad Pro. So think of how amazing games "looked on iPad Pro" form the demos, they will now be able to look like that on your 4K TV.

No it isn't Xbox X or PS5, but still it is a huge move forward.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-22, 16:07

Quote:
Processing power alone. Even the previous 4K lags with certain applications as it is now. Beefing up the processor gives far more abilities and enhanced display options. The processor is now the same(ish) one that is in my iPad Pro. So think of how amazing games "looked on iPad Pro" form the demos, they will now be able to look like that on your 4K TV.

No it isn't Xbox X or PS5, but still it is a huge move forward.
Yeah, using the A12 Bionic means the gaming experience is consistent from the low-end of the iPad, the iPhone, Mac and AppleTV.

I guess if they'd truly wanted to rival the Xbox SX and PS5, they'd need to use the M1.
But it will clearly be a few years before that happens.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-27, 08:31

I was all excited to do the color calibration on my media room TV only to find it didn't need it. I mean, at least it was already good... but that was a shock given it is a cheap <$300 TLC on the wall in there with an Apple TV 4K.

I was kinda hoping it would be something different so I would feel justified in going through the calibration process. I'm going to try one of my Samsungs next and see how they handle it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-04-27 at 08:57.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-07, 09:16

Someone thought the AirTags are thick and wanted to slim it down.

that is the kind of thing I love figuring out too. I'm glad to see someone succeed at this. Not sure how durable that build will be, but at least we see it can be done. One other thing I learned from that was the numbering system for those button batteries! That was cool to hear.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-07, 10:47

So, they made it bigger to make it thinner?

Hmmmm …

I'll leave it to Apple to make the engineering decisions.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-07, 11:08

Hey Ken, the April event was fun. But it looks like your inventory issues are about to get even more fun later this year.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-07, 11:11

Oh, I won't be surprised. But, I also think that it's nothing more than an educated guess based solely on the iMac color options.

And if anyone cares, purple—yes, purple—is the color everyone seems to want.

Purple!

Yep.

Of all our pre-orders, 90% are for purple. And, no, I have no idea.

Edit: Just checked, and the only other preorder is for silver.

*Disclosure*: Yes, I know people are ordering all of the other colors, but it's just weird that for us it's all about the purple.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-05-07 at 11:42.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-07, 11:39

Clearly there's a huge base of Silicon Graphics aficionados that have been missed in the marketing surveys.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-07, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

And if anyone cares, purple—yes, purple—is the color everyone seems to want.

Purple!

Yep.

Of all our pre-orders, 90% are for purple. And, no, I have no idea.

Edit: Just checked, and the only other preorder is for silver.

*Disclosure*: Yes, I know people are ordering all of the other colors, but it's just weird that for us it's all about the purple.
Could also just be that Apple didn't make a whole lot of them and that's why they're supply constrained.

I would have thought the orange would have been the most popular, which it very well may be, but I doubt we'll ever truly know.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-07, 17:26

It is, but we play it close to the vest and don't crow about our love for such a superior, righteous color. That's all the purple and green freaks who act that way.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-07, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Could also just be that Apple didn't make a whole lot of them and that's why they're supply constrained.

I would have thought the orange would have been the most popular, which it very well may be, but I doubt we'll ever truly know.
It's not a supply constraint thing. These are preorders in our shop. Purple is just the color people seem to want.

For reasons!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-08, 14:48

Is anyone considering the gay angle? Does Boise have a strong community? Some cities seem to more than others. I don’t know, I’m asking.

Doesn’t purple/lavender loom large in LGBT culture? Three minutes on Google seems to confirm this. It seems to represent or play quite a role in quite a few things.

LGBT or LGBT-friendly folks may be the reason the color is seeing such popularity on this new iPhone offering? And the new iMac as well?

Or is that just unthinkable and too easy? Did Apple blow it by not doing the full anodized rainbow treatment? Or is that too difficult to pull off and better left to plastic cases and such?

If that has zero to do with it, then maybe it’s just a pretty, quirky and unusual color lots of people are digging?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-08, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Or is that just unthinkable and too easy? Did Apple blow it by not doing the full anodized rainbow treatment? Or is that too difficult to pull off and better left to plastic cases and such?

If that has zero to do with it, then maybe it’s just a pretty, quirky and unusual color lots of people are digging?
Given that the iMac is now quite close to an iPad Air but as a desktop, that both have their screens and logic boards in an aluminum housing, and that the iPad Air went with quite different colors, I think it was a rather deliberate choice to have colors that stand out rather than a technical limitation.

Maybe next year's iMac will see more muted colors like the iPad Air? Maybe that'll be for the iMac Pro Max™?

Why not more colors? Logistics, I would guess. They've already had to limit it such that retail stores don't even stock most colors.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-08, 15:07

It was a joke, the rainbow anodized thing.

I need to up my smiley game or something.

Don’t overthink my posts too much, folks.

Now watch Apple unveil one at WWDC.

Speaking of this stuff (colors, iMac, iPhones) are those colors the same? That minty green iPhone 12…is it the same as the lighter pastel parts of the green iMac? Same for the purple?
chucker

2021-05-08, 21:42

I thought it was a reference to the iPod nano being offered in quite a few more colors.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-09, 08:49

Oh no. The "rainbow" reference was literally that...the rainbow striped flag/symbol (vs. a "rainbow" of different color options for various phones/Macs). A true Pride iPhone/Mac. That's what I questioned, in terms of manufacturing (different anodized colored, abutting stripes on a product, and thinking "well, if there was a company that would sink millions into figuring out a way to do that, it would probably be this one").

I still think colors, period, are better handled via cases...colors, patterns, designs, artwork, etc. So many more possibilities/flexibility than could ever be manufactured into the aluminum and glass.

Just seems like such a dice-roll to do colors, period, on this big, expensive stuff. Because there will always be a few colors that don't sell like the others and what do you do with them? I know they don't "dent" Apple in any real way (they'll be write-offs, donations, in-store demos, etc.). Surely they're not going to sit in a dungeon somewhere or be used as BB gun target practice, but it sure creates issues where none currently existed, in terms of manufacturing, inventory management, in-store display, stocking, shipping, etc. I never would've predicted they'd go back to 1998-2001 color offerings again. I wonder if that took some convincing for Tim or other higher ups? I wonder if there was any resistance/push-back based on the reasons I gave above?

"Guys, come on...who needs this logistical/manufacturing hassle and aggravation?! Surely we have bigger, more pressing shit to worry about/focus on? Are people really not going to buy a spiffy new, redesigned 24" M1 iMac if we don't offer it in an array of colors?" <-- me, as CEO

It was a genuine surprise when they were revealed in that spring event a few weeks ago. I thought all the rumors were crazy, wishful thinking! It just seemed so "been there, done that" and I never pictured them returning to that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-09 at 15:17.
chucker

2021-05-09, 12:47

Quote:
Just seems like such a dice-roll to do colors, period, on this big, expensive stuff. Because there will always be a few colors that don't sell like the others and what do you do with them? I know they don't "dent" Apple in any real way (they'll be write-offs, donations, in-store demos, etc.). Surely they're not going to sit in a dungeon somewhere or be used as BB gun target practice, but it sure creates issues where none currently existed, in terms of manufacturing, inventory management, in-store display, stocking, shipping, etc. I never would've predicted they'd go back to 1998-2001 color offerings again. I wonder if that took some convincing for Tim or other higher ups? I wonder if there was any resistance/push-back based on the reasons I gave above?
Yeah, no doubt there were internal discussions on whether it's worth it in terms of logistics.

Perhaps they soft-launched the idea of some more colorfulness in hardware with things like the iPhone XR (which came in black, white, blue, yellow, orange and red), to gauge whether it's worth it.

We don't know how quickly Apple can move in terms of color changes. They might even have been able to react to the iPad Air launch in fall; that is, if those colors had bombed, they might have dropped the iMac's. Or perhaps the colors did bomb, and it's why they went for less muted colors on the iMac!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-09, 15:21

See? It adds hassle/complexity to the mix, even having to consider that bare minimum of discussion or wondering about this or that color being a success or not.

They're crazy for opening this can of worms.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-09, 16:02

For years people have been crying because the iMac design hasn't changed. There wasn't much to change, making it thinner and adding colours were about all they could do. Now people complain that they did change it, it's a lose, lose either way.

My guess is Apple aren't keeping a lot of stock of the colours, with most of what goes to the physical stores being the neutral silver or whatever they are calling it. Online sales are likely outpacing in store sales by a wide margin now anyway, so they can just ship colours as needed. Blue seems to be the default on the website, maybe they got blue paint for cheap, and that's what they have most of.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-09, 16:40

Not a soul in the universe is talking/complaining/crying about the iMac's design changing. It was certainly time, having had the same design since 2012 (the curved back, welded-shut revision). Or 2007 (the silver aluminum, black bezel) if you want to accurately mark when it changed from white plastic to silver aluminum.

But it looks pretty damn cool, IMO. It's a 24" iPad on a stick.

BTW, I do find it interesting that Apple chose to redesign the iMac when it went to the M1, but opted to leave the Mac mini, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro as is. Because of that, leading up to the Spring Forward event, I expected the first M1-based iMac to be the 21.5" model with the new guts. And then in the fall, or perhaps 2022, we'd start getting these redesigned, built-from-the-ground-up-around-the-Apple-Silicon Macs. Seeing a new design, new size, new power connector, etc. (along with the colors) was a genuine surprise, no doubt. I would've lost everything on that bet.

We're talking the hassle/need of colors here, and trickiness that surely introduces to the mix. That's it.

I think that silver 24" iMac with a black bezel (from that third party black bezel adhesive company ) looks great, and like the 2021 successor to the 2007 (or 2012, rather) iMac. I would've been completely happy had that been the new look. The white bezel is the only thing taking some getting used to, but it works much better on the colored models, for sure. I do kinda wish they'd left it black on the silver.

I personally have no problem with the appearance/design of the new iMac (see above). And I even like the colors, way more than I ever thought I would. But I don't think I'd drop $1,500+ to own one of the colored ones. And I wouldn't have greenlit that as a return to anything, no. But I'm just not into colors on stuff like this, so YMMV. I had my run/fun with that stuff 20 years ago; it's nothing I've felt "calling to me" since. That's all. I think it'll be interesting, six or so months from now, to get an idea about which of the colors are selling. I know Apple won't share that, but there will be someone, somewhere, tracking such a thing and it'll be known. I'm going to guess the blue, green and silver leading the pack. I'm betting the yellow, orange and pink don't exist a year from now. And the purple...is anyone's guess.

The "second half of May" is basically next week, so hopefully we start to get real-life pics, reviews, assessments, unboxings, impressions, etc. very soon. Any of you who live near an Apple Store, and have visited one in the past several days...do they have these new 24" iMacs sitting out as display/demo units yet?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-09 at 17:01.
chucker

2021-05-09, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
My guess is Apple aren't keeping a lot of stock of the colours, with most of what goes to the physical stores being the neutral silver or whatever they are calling it. Online sales are likely outpacing in store sales by a wide margin now anyway, so they can just ship colours as needed. Blue seems to be the default on the website, maybe they got blue paint for cheap, and that's what they have most of.
Yep, most color options won't be in retail.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-09, 17:07

I figure maybe they'll have little samples embedded in a display to accurately convey the two tones and how they look in aluminum? I suppose they could just have a printed thing, but it seems more Apple-y to go that extra mile to really help customers visualize the coloring.
chucker

2021-05-10, 02:37

Quote:
I figure maybe they'll have little samples embedded in a display to accurately convey the two tones and how they look in aluminum? I suppose they could just have a printed thing, but it seems more Apple-y to go that extra mile to really help customers visualize the coloring.
That'd be neat!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-10, 03:31

Oh COME ON y'all!!

Here's Apple, sitting on top of a mountain of money, and we don't think they'll go to the effort of sticking the entire color range out where customers can come ogle them?

I think what we have HERE is a BET.