User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pets v.2
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
EmC

2005-07-21, 20:35

Post new pics of old pets and pics of any new ones since our last thread.

We got Savannah today, it has been a year and a half since our last golden was put to sleep. She was 14 and it got to the point where she couldn't pick her self up. It was hard to take the step of getting a new one, but we missed the having one around.

I put more up here.

Look at the last few. She is asleep on her back with her paw behind her head.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-07-21, 20:45

Shiny floor + puppy = lotsa fun!

Looks like she will be a handful
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-21, 20:48

whoa! a pup! omg! LOL
EmC

2005-07-21, 21:01

It's really funny, she will try and sit up but then her back legs slowly slide out from behind her. She already peed on my bed, other than that no mishaps yet. The breeder we got her from was really great with them. They had already started house training them. Her parents were the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen.

¡Damned!

2005-07-21, 21:17

Very nice, EmC. I'm glad you (and yours) got yourselves together to get another friend. I know how difficult it is to even think about a new pet after a good one has passed....hell, it's been almost 15 years since 7 passed away...and I'm just now looking for another dog in earnest. Good for you...she's adorable.

I'm totally a 'dog person', but I ran across (not literally) this cat last winter that was completely homeless. I was sitting out on a friend's porch when the little beast jumped into my lap, and started purring like a friggin freight train...well, as nice as that was, I left. A month or so later, I'm at the same house, and the same goddamned cat jumps on my lap. Purring and all turning about like s/he loves me and shit.

Anyways, I run into the house owner a few days later. She mentions the cat's percieved affinity for me ( )....so I feel obliged to ask her about the beast. Apparently: Semi-Homeless. Comes to Her House if It's Raining. Eats Anything. Has a 'house' down the block....yet is never let inside and is deathly afraid of shoes....

Long story short, the next time he jumped on my lap I said my goodbyes to my friends and promptly put him in my Jeep. Got home, fed him a can of tuna, and went to sleep.

I woke up with him laying next to me.

His name is Gato. Kitty Gato.

And we couldn't be happier.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2005-07-21 at 21:25.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-07-21, 21:46

Do we choose our pets, or do they choose us?

I too am currently looking after a cat which I think has a home, but is not feed very well by its owners.

Might have to name it Fleabag as we think it may have gotten fleas in the last week.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
EmC

2005-07-21, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
Do we choose our pets, or do they choose us?
I don't know about that exactly, but I think something guides us along the way. I am know for absolutely hating having to be anywhere where the temperature is above 74 degrees, I HATE the summers here in SW Georgia. Today it was 90 degrees with humidity right around 95% and a heat index of 108 degrees. I can not wait to finish school and get out of here. Back on track though. This dog was meant for me, she has found the in floor air conditioning vents and is practically living on them.

I am also a dog person, but only because I am really allergic to cats. My aunt owned one like 5 years ago. My lungs still close up around some of the fabrics in her house.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-07-21, 22:16

Awww She's gonna be all big and hyper in no time!

I'm seriously considering getting a pooch myself. (I like cats too, of course.) I'm strongly considering picking one up from one of the local animal rescue places though instead of going to a breeder. It would be my first dog, despite some stints caring for my friends' and sister's dogs, so I get nervous about taking on the responsibility (and the cost, to be honest). But every time I convince myself that it's not a good time, someone like, say, EmC comes around and I change my mind again.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-07-21, 22:35

I *LOVE* your puppy, EmC. What a sweetie.

I like picture #15 the best, because she's SO relaxed that her body looks like it's sinking into the floor. Did you notice that?

And, yeah, I noticed right away that she liked sleeping on the air conditioning vents, because my puppy used to sleep on the cool kitchen floor, right where air from the ceiling vent would hit. I have pictures of her sleeping there, showing that the pads on her feet were still pink, instead of black which they became later. Puppies are so wonderful.

When I left for work (when she was a puppy), I would barricade her in the kitchen with a fairly large piece of plywood held in place by a heavy dining room chair. I didn't feel too guilty about having her there, since that was her favorite place in the house to sleep.

I came home one day to find her sleeping peacefully in the kitchen, but the living room was a disaster scene. She had gleefully dug dirt out of large potted palms and scattered it over the carpet; had ripped magazines to shreds, strewing paper everywhere; and had delighted in gnawing the corner of the dining room chair. She had managed to escape from the barricade, wreak general havoc, and yet had climbed back into her cool and comfortable prison to feign innocence when I returned. Oh, what a naughty little girl she was.

I love all animals, I really do. They're all wonderful and amazing in their own special ways. Of course, I love soft, fluffy, cuddly ones the best.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-07-21, 22:43

Congrats! They are a load of work (we made the mistake of adopting two 10 week old pups last fall instead of one and then another a year later) but also bring a lot of love / fun to the house. Dogs Rule ™, as they say.

...into the light of a dark black night.
holbox

2005-07-22, 08:13

/Users/holbox/MAC DOCUMENTS/INNERNET FOLDER/Tommy Finger Wave copy.pictClipping

My Puss give the salute!
holbox

2005-07-22, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbox
/Users/holbox/MAC DOCUMENTS/INNERNET FOLDER/Tommy Finger Wave copy.pictClipping

My Puss give the salute!

How do you post a picture on this site ?????????
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-22, 08:18

She looks great EmC - thanks for sharing
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-22, 08:48

Quote:
How do you post a picture on this site ?????????
You have to put the image on a public web server first. Then use the [ IMG ] tags or the button to post the image by its URL address.

ImageShack and TinyPic will share images for free.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
EmC

2005-07-22, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I like picture #15 the best, because she's SO relaxed that her body looks like it's sinking into the floor.

We were all sitting around and joking about how nice it would be to just fall asleep so deeply that you were totally knocked out like she looks.

Last night we were walking her around the yard and she met her first bull frog. It was almost as big as her. She was completely confused as to what to do. The grass also hits her in the face when she runs through the yard, so she stops to "attack" it.

murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-22, 11:55

Nice pics, man. I'd love to get a dog like that. Took me a long time to think that way after our rottie passed away, but I'd like a dog now.

Problem is, my wife has developed this dog hair allergy called "don'twannafuckinvaccuumdailyitus". She's looking at these little queer dogs, and I just can't do it. My rule on dogs is they should be able to kill an intruder, not just shit on their feet.

I should show her your photo album, maybe that will help.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-07-22, 12:03

labradoodle....stupid name, but doesn't shed and is part lab, so at least it is big and smart and loyal

g
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-07-22, 12:07

ps...didn't look at your puppy photos (other that the extremely cute one in this thread) because it would make me want another...and two is a good number for our household

g

we currently have mutts...great mutts....

samantha with my wife....she is the softest dog ever...rescued her from living under a truck in the country...was about 3 months old...she is definetly a desert dog...chases the coyotes, brings us home pack rats and rabbits...always without their heads...i have no idea what she does with their heads

me with gracie...rescued her from the pound...nobody wanted her because she was listed as a rottie mix...but she stayed small...but solid...40 pounds of muscle

gracie as a puppy: she had little paws so we didn't think she was going to be big

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2005-07-22 at 12:12.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-22, 12:08

Quote:
INNERNET FOLDER

Anywho, my babies...

Left is Charley, right is Bob.
EmC

2005-07-22, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Problem is, my wife has developed this dog hair allergy called "don'twannafuckinvaccuumdailyitus".
I know how that is. We have one of those roomba vacuum cleaners. They work great. Our last golden was afraid to death of the vacuum cleaner, this one just follows it around, like, "what the hell is this, and why is it in my house?"

EmC

2005-07-22, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
gracie as a puppy: she had little paws so we didn't think she was going to be big
She was adorable. How could anyone not take her?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-22, 12:22

Gracie's just beautiful, g, makes me wish we had a dog (sadly not practical at the moment).

FJ
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-07-22, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
labradoodle....stupid name, but doesn't shed and is part lab, so at least it is big and smart and loyal.
Was told that a labradoodle was good for me, especially if the poodle mix were mini poodle (full size would be too big) and I won't have to deal with the full-on hyperactivity of a lab.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2005-07-22 at 13:12.
Amadeus

2005-07-22, 19:10

Savannah, Gracie, and Samantha such nice pictures, they are awesome. Pets are part of the family. Charley and Bob are cute also. I'm just partial to dogs.
cyrusmekon

Send a message via AIM to cyrusmekon Send a message via Yahoo to cyrusmekon  
2005-07-22, 19:31

The names Digsy. Border Collie. We were lucky enough to get first pick out of the litter. They all had black and white markings apart from her. As a pup she just had all black with these two little brown eyebrows. Those eyes have gotten away with murder i tell you.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-07-22, 19:41

Okay, I get to post my 'Kristie' picture again.

Like I said, I love "soft, fluffy, cuddly".
Quagmire
meh

2005-07-22, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Okay, I get to post my 'Kristie' picture again.

Like I said, I love "soft, fluffy, cuddly".

I just can't wait for a rainy day and she rolls in the mud, and you post a pic of you and kristie all dirty since she would shake and the mud would fling on to you. If it takes you 1 hour to shower(just guessing), i say it will be 3 hours it will take to clean her coat.

giggity
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-23, 05:15

Oh dear - this thread makes me realise how much we need a dog - not least to add to the small person who'll be arriving in a few months. My wife and I would both like one but it just isn't practical given how much we're away. Maybe the parents need some persuasion to act as dogsitters .....

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-07-23 at 05:16. Reason: hoping to appear literate.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-07-23, 06:30

Johan-Olof, my deceased rabbit. He died about 3 months ago 7,5 years of age.
The whole family mourned: he was a very sweet and sociable little creature.

A few days we bought a new bunny. This time she a she. We named her Geir (to be pronounced as Gaia)
As you can see from the difference between the two pictures, she by far not as used to people as Johan was but in the past few days she has proven to be a very inquisitive little rabbit.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-07-23, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I just can't wait for a rainy day and she rolls in the mud, and you post a pic of you and kristie all dirty since she would shake and the mud would fling on to you. If it takes you 1 hour to shower(just guessing), i say it will be 3 hours it will take to clean her coat.
Heh. I know it looks like she'd take constant grooming, but *exactly* the opposite was true.

She'd get muddy, or while we were camping she'd lie down in old campfire ashes and get all grey. But the mud would dry, and like the ashes, would just fall off her coat without any attention from me whatsoever. It was miraculous, honestly. It has to do with the fact that there are actually two coats - an outer "guard" coat of coarser hairs protects the undercoat which is incredibly soft fluff. Dirt would fall right off the outer coat, and would never get down to the inner fluff. Believe me. I took her camping and to the beach for many years.

I took her to the groomer's two or three times a year. I might have taken her more often, but she *really* hated it. Her coat always looked fluffy and white like that without my ever lifting a hand. She never required daily brushing, etc. She was an extremely hardy, brave and adventurous dog; not at *all* prissy and needing constant care as she might look. Completely the opposite. I would never have a dog that required daily grooming. Not in a million years. I believe Samoyeds are classified as working dogs, and are built for the hard work of pulling heavily-loaded sleds through snow.

She was a magnificent creature: happy, pure of heart, honorable and dignified. She was also *great* fun and loved to explore just like I do. I admired and respected her more than 99% of the humans I know.