User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Coming back to MAC from PC... PowerMac advice...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Coming back to MAC from PC... PowerMac advice...
Mr Ten

2005-10-19, 01:03

Last mac was a PPC 6100/60 AV, maybe a 230 MB HD?

I do some printwork, sometimes 10' x 3' (largest yet), sometimes standard, some web work, lots of MS Outlook (currently; how is Entourage?), and some coding, but everything seems relatively basic.

I currently experience lots of drag on my understandably poor HP with 256 ram and am ready to come back to the mac, just stinks to pay for software all over again (Adobe CS2 + Office).

Been looking at Dual 2 G5, waiting on new DC news perhaps. I can probably get the Edu. discount still. Not in immediate hurry, but any suggestions on when/where to buy, things to look for?

Thoughts on 20" display? Pinkish hue or other "issues" at all? Not worth it to spend for the 23 to me.

PCI vs. PCI-x?

Lots, I know, thanks for the help! Trying to make the comeback in comfortable strides.
admactanium

2005-10-19, 01:27

there really aren't that many reasons to buy apple computers from many other vendors. the prices don't change from vendor to vendor, but the independent mail order places do give away other things to enhance their offers like more ram and such.
Mr Ten

2005-10-19, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium
there really aren't that many reasons to buy apple computers from many other vendors. the prices don't change from vendor to vendor, but the independent mail order places do give away other things to enhance their offers like more ram and such.
and adding a stick is only 50-100 so I guess it's tough to beat the edu. discount.

how about when to hold out until? just wait and see the news tomorrow? if not released tomorrow, is it worth waiting a month or so to get the dual core system?
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-10-19, 06:04

On displays:

Anandtech is a very cool tech site, and they have made a review that conveniently covers the Apple 20" and another great 20".

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

In a nutshell, the Apple 20" is a very good display all around, no weak points, won't disappoint.

Even if you weren't under price constraint, the Apple 23" is pretty bad. No idea who is buying these, but apparently someone is since Apple still has it going (at the pricepoint they are at, no less).

You could consider the Dell 24". I have one that has been a joy to use (I'm no graphic artist, but measurements in reviews say the color accuracy is there; even to my eye it's obvious there are no glaring faults like there is in the 23" ACD) and I recall just seeing a thread about these screens going under $800 if you are in the US. That isn't very far from the Apple 20" price.
jer2eydevil88

2005-10-19, 07:23

The Apple 20" display falls short in features but is very strong in quality. If you are buying a new mac for professional work you may want to also look at the Imacs they aren't as easily upgradable but they have a much lower initial cost of ownership and pack a whallop. Understandably you are reluctant to purchase new licenses for your software that you already own on the pc, a company I did work for had some luck in calling up adobe and getting them to honor the upgrade prices on full software when switching platforms.

All in All we gotta wait to see what goodies get released today if any before anyone here can really recommend a system.
Wraven

2005-10-19, 08:01

Mr. Ten,
I have a 20" ACD and it is a WONDERFUL display, the best I have ever owned. And I can honestly say it is worth every bit of $799, even though Dell sells a smiliar (but black, thicker, and yuckier) display for $100-200 less (I just like the "clean" look of the ACD). But DEFINITELY wait until after today's announcements, just to make sure.

Cheers,
Wraven
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-10-19, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ten
currently; how is Entourage?
Its pretty bad. Lots of mysterious crashes and entire system slowdowns when using entourage. Also, lots of 'database' issues with entourage.

Apples Mail.app (comes with OS X) can connect to exchange without much issue. If your exchange admins are enlightened enough to offer IMAP I would jump on it and use either Mail.app or Thunderbird.

I would stay away from the Apple 23" display. Just too many issues along with a very high price. As has been stated already, Dell has some pretty nice (if not too pleasing on the eye) displays that you can usually get for a steal. The only issue that I can think of that might be troublesome with the Dell's is color correction. I've had a hard time getting my Dell 17" and 19" LCD to color correct.
beardedmacuser

2005-10-19, 08:24

I use a 20 inch Cinema Display at home and on one of the computers at work. While I considered a Dell display, ultimately I went with Apple as I could simply drive down to the Apple Store in London hand over my credit card and walk out with a new display. And I was able to get an education discount too (although not as much as on the education web AppleStore)!

Sure, if you're really keen you can get similar functionality at a lower cost from the likes of Dell, but the Cinema Display does everything I need, was easy to buy and is simply beautiful!
Mr Ten

2005-10-19, 12:09

very cool tips thus far, thank you.

with my current system (HP p4 1.8ghz), I experience outlook drags/crashes and not enough processing power to handle some design work, with too many files open, can't process fast enough, brings my productivity/timing way down.

as long as there is a simple email application that can include (html) signatures, adapt my contacts to handhelds as well, not crash, and maybe set up a couple rules as far as sorting emails (i work in a pr agency - at home, handle dif. clients, currently have 8 email addresses), then we're ok.

the mac will be a solid step of course, just want to hear the worst and other tips before pulling the trigger, time to check the news.

thanks thus far!
Mr Ten

2005-10-19, 12:54

looks like they released dual-core... so is this better than dual processor? thoughts?
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-10-19, 12:58

I could very well be wrong, so don't take this as gospel.

From what I have heard, given 2 same spec'd machines, the dual processor machine will be faster than a single processor dual-core machine.
Mr Ten

2005-10-19, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
I could very well be wrong, so don't take this as gospel.

From what I have heard, given 2 same spec'd machines, the dual processor machine will be faster than a single processor dual-core machine.
i think i just read the opposite in another forum section, but it could be philosophy, will look into it more...
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2005-10-19, 13:21

Same here...

I always *thought* a Dual CPU system is faster than a single dual core because it shares the same bus, whereas a dual (single) core system has independant bus'.

I could be wrong though, it's happened from time to time.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook