Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Virtual Hostile takeover
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-03-19, 22:12

Lets begin.

<rant>
Lately some businesses/companies/powers-that-be have really started to tick me off. Some more than others. You can usually tell when you ask yourself the questions: "What are they thinking?", "Are they trying to loose their customers?", "How does that not represent a monopoly?" and the ever popular "What the hell?". Example one: Cell phone companies were notorious for poor customer service years ago. Still waiting... Example two: Apple sues TS?

Just for fun, what 3 companies would you take over and what would you change to make the world a better place. (I know, we would all choose Microsoft so lets leave them out of this unless it is really good.)

1) FOX broadcasting - Ease up on "Reality TV" mindset. Promote scripted TV and give it a chance. FOX News is considered a joke to many people, so I would spend a lot of time de-emphasizing the "if it bleeds, it reads" mentality and focus on building a base of creditable sources and a group to verify those sources. (What journalism should already do.) I would introduce a "Made for PVR's" time block, where broadcasts would be PVR-friendly. Although this would be like 3AM, the shows would be advertised during the day and the user would only have to press a button on the remote or type a number into the PVR and everything would be automatic. Advertising would be technically-themed , but skippable.

2) MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) - On a slippery slope as it is, but I would try to avoid the mistakes made by the RIAA (lost cause), embrace new technology (H.264, Bittorrent, perhaps test some sort of internet broadcast/delivery system), and restore honor to a industry which, in my view, has potential but fears the future.

3) Safeway - I know, you never would have guessed. It is getting harder and harder to find stuff they used to carry and it would be nice to have less of a profit-motivated chain and restore the former consumer-oriented market. One of the reasons our Farmer Markets took off is that they carry what Safeways don't. For example, Our Safeway no longer has Bread bowls for clam chowder! This may sound funny to many of you, but here in California, that is practically a sin on rainy days.

</rant>
So, what do you guys think? What company would you take over?

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-19, 22:17

RIAA
MPAA
Microsoft

Those three account for the only products I consistantly boycott.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-20, 03:58

^^ x2.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-03-20, 04:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
RIAA
MPAA
Microsoft

Those three account for the only products I consistantly boycott.
alc I don't get how you can boycott the RIAA and MPAA - aren't they advisory/regulatory boards ... who don't actually produce product of their own?

Are you saying that you don't buy CDs or go to the cinema to see a movie ... instead preferring to download your music and buy DVDs? Is that it?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2005-03-20, 06:21

You can boycott their members' products. It would be nice to also boycott the BSA, but that would require boycotting Apple, which isn't very practical for a Mac user.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-20, 11:05

actually, i haven't seen more than 2 movies in theatres this year. i haven't bought more than one or two cd's in 5 years.

i don't download the music either, since every download service sends their money back to the RIAA.

i do however use Netflix to watch movies. it's not the perfect solution, but it's the best i could live with for my wife and i.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-03-20, 11:10

Mossad - Stop them aiding / funding themselves from the distribution of Ecstasy.

The CIA - Likewise but with Cocaine and Marijuanna.

M$ - Sack Bill Gates. Send Steve Ballmer to a small hot room where he is only allowed lettuce and water once a day to eat. Discontinue support for all Windows software and make the existing OS Open Source. Donate all cash reservers to Apple.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-03-20, 12:19

1. Viacom -- So much media power and so little balls to use it. Fuck, they are thinking of selling off Paramount Canada's Wonderland (well Paramount is thinking about it but Viacom owns them so...). Also, Paramount's control over "Star Trek" would be changed on the spot. Viacom also owns Famous Players, a major (motion picture) theatre house in Canada to which I once was employed. I would turn Famous away from their current "big and loud" style of business, geared toward the youth and redo their business plans so going to a movie can really be a family event again.

2. Apple -- Yah, that's right, I think Apple is fucking up royal with their current quality testing before their units are shipped. I mean, fuck! I work for an Apple auth. repair shop and it's like one in ten iMacs we sell are back in the shop within a few months for issues. I mean if you spend a few grand on a new powerbook or something then you should expect a quality item. And their rev. 1 G5s are still coming in the shop all the time... how fucking hard is it to make a consistent PMU? So someone's 3+ grand computer can stay out of the shop for at least 6 months at a time.

3. LCBO -- The Liquor Control Board of Ontario. Reason, for not IDing me when they should. I'm 18 years old damit! They HAVE to ID if you look 25 or under and to this day I have NEVER been ID'd when buying booze in many different locations around Ontario. I get carded all the time at 19+ shows and some bars... and I expect this. But the Liquor Control Board of FUCKING Ontario, who is run by the government and should take a bit more responsibility then some dirty bar who clearly and rightfully fallows the outlines of the LAW, which are 'emplaced' by the LCBO to start with!

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!